PDA

View Full Version : Wheel to wheel nerf bars (Again)

SWLA
08-09-2002, 12:53
Anyone out there with a set of WTW bars on there truck? I posted several months ago asking about them, but didn't get much feedback. I don't think there were too many people with them at that time. I've decided to get a set in black powdercoat. Best price I've found here locally was $280 installed fro a set from Manik. Westin also available here as well, but at least a $100 more expensive. These prices were very similar to what I found on the internet once you include shipping.

Anyone out there with WTW steps? If so, what brand, and how do they mount to the truck? Any opinions on Manik? Any advice appreciated.

Stoner
08-09-2002, 13:33
SWLA

Installed the exact bars you are looking at back in Feb.......$240 @ BESTDARNPARTS. They mount to the cab in 3 places, easy installation, some bending required. On some of the 1/2" stainless nuts the threads galled so bad that they locked tight to the bolt way before I got them tight...........had to cut them off and replace the nut & bolt!! The bars are round with molded plastic steps that have 3 small round pegs that fit into holes in the top of the bar. If you put you foot on the side of the step instead of squarely on the top, the step rotates and snaps off those cute little pegs. I replaced 2 steps in the last 2 weeks! These things are snapin off like tree branches in JK's back yard after an ice storm!!

They are cheap enough..........but the plastic steps suck!! IMHO......buy something else!

P.S. I believe the plastic steps may have been revised,(square pegs instead of the 1/4" dia. round pegs) but I don't know if they are any stronger.

Hope this helps......... Gary

DMAX Daddy
08-09-2002, 13:49
Ive always used Smittybuilt bars on prvious trucks and will on my new one. Always been a great product!

slagona
08-09-2002, 14:03
I have a pair of Go Rhino's - model # 6024B for my 2000 K3500 Crew cab long bed dually. They attach to the cab and bed mounts - simple installation, unscrew the 3 bolts on each side, add the bars, screw back in. It was little expensive ($340), but THE ONLY ones I could find for this truck that went wheel to wheel. The only thing I don't like about them is that they don't taper away from the dually wheel wells - so they are close to the wells there, but they do work.....

Mine may be available - cheap - this month if anyone wants a pair. I'm hoping to turn the truck over to GM at the end of August, might as well take them off - otherwise GM gets to keep them for free..... and I have no use for them.

CSDMAX
08-09-2002, 14:20
Hey SWLA,

If you want a good set of wheel to wheel running boards that won't wear out but will cost you....check out http://www.toughcountry.com/ToughCountryPage.htm. They have a tough looking set made of Sch 40 pipe w/12 ga diamond floor plate. A little pricey though...6 Ben Franklins..plus shipping.
http://members.aol.com/sterlinge3/nerf97.htm
These are nice too, but the materials are about the same as what you get from Westin, WAAG, Etc.
These are about four twenty a set.

DON

SWLA
08-10-2002, 07:37
Thanks for the feedback. Based on what Stoner has to say about the Manik bars I think I'm going to keep looking. This is why the DP is such a great resource.

wangotango
08-10-2002, 12:48
I went with the Go Rhino also.

Tubes are WTW and quite stout enough. I got the black (powder coated) finish and they have taken some hits. Been on for a year now. Very happy with them. I'm 6'-1" / 210# and have no trouble with climbing on them. I got them for function not looks.

Install easy.

May remove and have them Line-X'd for long term protection. The only thing wrong with tube-style is that they give great access to climbing in cab or into bed but not as much rock protection as boards will.

Good luck and have fun.

w/t

zsqure
08-10-2002, 20:16
I have the GO-Rhino wtw step bars in stainless, got them from a dist. in indiana for $450.00 local truck accessory shop wanted over $700.00 for them. Anyways they are ok they mount to the two cab mounts on each side, take about 1/2 hour each side with air tools. The step pads on my westins were better but I wanted wtw this time. They are fine for the boss and my 2 year old to use when climbing in and out of the truck. I would buy them again if I had to. :D :D

DMAXDiva
08-11-2002, 08:07
I swapped out a set of chromed cab-length Westins for black powder-coated Go Rhino W2W's and have never regretted the decision. Great for accessing the in-bed toolbox, and I think they look better than the cab-lengths as well ;) .

I do agree about the plastic steps... :mad: ...I've slipped off of them more than once! Think I'll have 'em sprayed w/liner, or may just have the entire bar sprayed (there are several nasty rock chips on them after only 10k miles).

duramax_soon
08-13-2002, 06:54
I bought a set of waag wheel-to-wheel bars for my 2001. I did not like their mounting method; basically you "clamp" the fram with two pcs of metal. When I took the bars off, it had worn the frame "shiny" everywhere there was a bracket. I bought a set of Go-Rhino wheel-to-wheel for my 2002. They mount to the cab mounts; and seem sturdy. I like them better than the waag. After my concerns with the Waag; I contacted Westin and Go-Rhino and they were glad to fax me mounting directions to help me decide. I wanted the Westins, but noone had them in stock and couldn't tell me when they would be available; so I went with the Go-Rhino. Try www.autostyles.com they were less than $400 delivered to a business address; this was their 6074B black wheel-to-wheel for 2500HD crew cab short bed. I hope this helps.

SWLA
08-13-2002, 11:24
I was considering the WAAG's primarily beacause of the metal step plate. Same concern as Dmaxdiva about the plastic step getting slick. I really like the look of the oval steps that Westin makes, but they're not available in WTW length at this point. I'm leaning to toward the Go Rhino as everyone seems happy with them and I can get them in Baton Rouge.

jstbks
08-13-2002, 11:32
I put a set of chrome MAAP W2W's on my truck. They mount to the cab and so far I am happy with them. I needed them to get into the bed as I pull a 5th wheel and access to the bed is constant.
I beleive they were $479.

Brian