PDA

View Full Version : Running Board Lights

Norquist
05-23-2002, 11:49
I just ordered running board lights for my 01 HD Silverado.
I'm being lazy here and could figure it out but..wondering if anyone knows where to wire them into so that when I remotely unlock the doors these will come on as the inside lights do?
Preferabaly the fuseblock??

Thanks

mdrag
05-23-2002, 15:31
Norquist,

From a previous post:

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=001895&p=

I have my running board lights wired as courtesy lighting - just like the dome light. They turn on/flash with the keyless entry when you lock/unlock/arm the alarm/open the doors.

I tapped into the underdash courtesy light on the DS. If you check both wires to that lamp, they are both 12V positive when the interior lighting is off. When you turn on the interior lights, one of the wires goes to ground. I spliced into BOTH of these wires to switch a 12V SPDT relay, which I placed under the hood. The 12V power for the lights are powered by a separate 12V 15A fused source from the battery, with the two 12V power leads coming off the relay - one for each side. I'm sure it could be done some other way, but it works for me.

SDWA
05-23-2002, 19:07
There is a connection in the MBEC (The electrical center to the left of the brake pedal with the black plastic cover) that has the courtesy lamp feed in it. It is position C12, which is the third connector position from the left, top row (directly to the right of the trailer brake control socket - look on back of black cover - it is listed as "UPFIT 4-WAY"). Not sure which pin it is (there are 3 in the socket) but the wire feeding the terminal is supposed to be white. Use an electrical meter to find the correct one from the front or tap into it from the back...

Hope that helps!

Scott

UPDATE: It's the top left pin; goes to ground when lights are on, +12v when lights are off. Bottom right pin is +12v constant.

[ 05-28-2002: Message edited by: SDWA ]</p>

TopBanana 2500
05-26-2002, 10:51
Norquist...

I've been looking for running board lights for a while now with no luck. The only place I haven't checked is the dealer. Is this where you got yours?

Redhawk
05-26-2002, 11:44
The people who make J&J stainless running boards have them, they might sell them to you.

AKDmax
05-26-2002, 13:09
Redhawk,
Which model of J&J do you have? I am putting my millenium boards on today. The instructions are a little vague :mad: . Any advice. Thanks in advance...

mdrag
05-26-2002, 13:10
I got my RB lights from a local heavy truck store. I'm using TruckLite model 19 clear license plate type lights, about $3 to $4 each with the mounting brackets. These are a universal type of light, made by a few different manufacturers - I've seen them at truck stops, but they cost more.

There are pics of the RBs/lights at the link in my sig.

chrisinkanata
05-26-2002, 17:31
Although I don't have them, as soon as they come in to the local parts shop, I'll be installing a set of illuminated, black running boards on our D/A crew cab. They are maqde by a company called Westin. If you are familiar with them, they are very similar to the factory boards on the Lincoln Navigator. Two lamps on each side, at the ends of the boards - directly behind the front wheels and ahead of the rears. I'm not sure how they are wired yet but I'll likly operate them via a relay powered by the dome lights.
I have attached a link that take you to a description of them.

http://www.ustaw.com/wes-step.html

Norquist
05-27-2002, 10:07
Topbannana 2500

I purchased them from American Technology their web address is:

www.atcomp.com

They were $6.26 each. Looks like I'm going to have to go with the SPDT relay to hook them into my courtsy lights can't find any other soulution.

Redhawk
05-27-2002, 13:24
Sorry AKDMax, I had them delivered to the dealer and they installed them for me before I picked up the truck. I have the large diameter tubing, flared Millenium, lighted boards.

AKDmax
05-27-2002, 18:16
Thanks Redhawk,
I just finished the install. Pretty nice boards, and sturdy. The instructions pretty much sucked, but it wasn't too bad. Not real keen on drilling holes in pinch welds when there are already holes they could have used with different brackets. I'm headed out to get some pics. No lights but I like the idea. Uh-oh another mod in the future smile.gif .

On edit: The pics are posted. A little dirty from tree pollen.

[ 05-27-2002: Message edited by: AKDmax ]</p>

TopBanana 2500
05-27-2002, 21:36
Thanks for all the information. Now, I don't have to look for running boards with lights only. It seems like they would be easy enough to install.
Later