PDA

View Full Version : 93 6.5 TD lacking power

donziroc
11-11-2004, 19:50
Im new to the diesel world, I bought a 93 6.5 TD pickup. My problem is: sometimes in the morning, i go to start it up and it starts right up, with little white smoke. Then all of a sudden, a few seconds later, it dies. I have to turn it off and on 3 or 4 times and then it starts and stays running. This also has happened when i have been driving it and shut it off, then say 5 minutes later or longer, it might or might not start. "initially starts but then it dies".
My second problem is when i first pull out in it, barely giving it any throttle, it pulls out good, then all of a sudden, it pulls very hard, if i push the pedal past half way, it falls on its face. I only get that 1 burst of great power once. the rest of the time, it is just flat. BUT.... if i let it idle for a few minutes and get back in it, hold the throttle about 1/4 way, it will do it again, great power and then sluggish once again.

What do i need to check? it has 183k miles, the wastegate has no vacuum line and no place to connect one to.
any help would greatly be appreciated.
also, it seems my mileage is getting worse.

DP
11-12-2004, 07:01
I had similar issues a few years ago. Mine ended up being the pressure sender for the lift pump. Mine was broken and intermittently would not energize the lift pump.
Good luck.
Dave.

donziroc
11-16-2004, 06:55
what did you do to correct it? i notice when it gets really low on fuel, it seems to run better.

Keith Richards
11-16-2004, 16:55
Do you have any idea how old the injectors are?It sounds like a problem old injectors could cause.Sounds like it gets a burst of fuel then gets cut off.

charliepeterson
11-16-2004, 19:29
It does sound like a fuel issue. The first step is to always check the fuel filter. The Injection Pump NEEDS LOTS of fuel to run properly. The lift pump on the frame rail must work. A good injection pump can and will pull from the tank by itself but it's life will be shortened. Check all the fuel lines for small leaks.
At the top of this page try hitting the "search" key. This is the archives for this page. Every subject you can think of will be here.

donziroc
11-22-2004, 07:25
i have replaced the fuel filter and the lift pump. It still is the same, except this time i pull out and let off the pedal, it died. i'll check out the "search" and see what i can find.

John Smith
12-08-2004, 10:35
Check the oil presure sending unit and make sure that you can hear the lift pump running when you turn off the eng. If you hear it then it and you know it is good then replace the oil presure sending uint. Also make sure that the full fill cap is tight, turn it hard until it clicks. I have have had this problem off and on since I bought my 93 GMC 3500 4x4 new in 92. The dealer replaced a number of full pumps and lift pumps, oil presure sending units which fixed the problem for a while but it took a Lexis dealer and my wifes RX 300 to learn about the full cap. Haven't had the problem since, going on 3 years now with no problem like you discribed.

Lots of luck.

cruzer
12-08-2004, 11:06
Another possibility is air getting into the injection lines.