PDA

View Full Version : Towing with Heath Maxi-Tork 2.0

rj
07-20-2004, 11:49
Has anyone towed with Heath's original maxi-tork chip and with the maxi-tork 2.0? If so, was there a signifant increase in towing performance?

Thanks in advance.

rj
07-21-2004, 16:52
OK - since the original question may be reaching too narrow of a target audience...

For those using the Maxi-Tork 2.0 (as upgraded from any previous vendor or stock chip) what is your opinion of towing performance?

Thanks.

Tony J.
07-21-2004, 17:52
Well, I can SORT of give you an answer. I had the first Max-e tork for a few weeks, but never towed with it. I then upgraded to the 2.0. Empty, I noticed a substantial difference. I departed on a 1400 mile tow the day after putting in the 2.0, and am very impressed with it towing also.

Hope that helps- some.

Perry
07-21-2004, 18:54
I went from the factory programing to the Max-E-Tork 2.0 at the end of April and I have been singing its praises for in-town empty driving.

Its pretty amazing for towing as well. I tow an enclosed car trailer about 6000# loaded, and with the upgrade, I was able to cruise 65-70mph up and down the rolling hills of I-5 between Seattle and the Bay area, never dropping out of OD on a recent trip. When tackling the 4000' passes, the pyro temps stayed below 950 post turbo and my water stayed below 215. I averaged 10.2mpg on the round trip. I only had problems with my tranny cooling.

The new programming has been worth it. Since the upgrade, I haven't had thoughts of trading in the Suburban for something with more power, so I guess its saved me over $45k.

markrinker
07-25-2004, 08:40
I am also incredibly satisfied with the towing power of the Heath 2.0 chip. Have been putting on 1500-2000 miles per week average, half loaded with up to 10,000 in tow.

Smooths out the hills and makes the truck a pleasure to drive empty.

rjwest
07-28-2004, 15:08
Does the chip affect the TCC lock up,?
When towing with the chip does the TCC unlock on hills, or is there enough power to keep speed up
above unlock point....

Perry
07-28-2004, 19:58
Based on my recent drive, the reflash seems to control lockup. while towing, it stayed locked while on OD up the rolling hills, only unlocking climbing up the steep grades approaching the mountain passes.

however, i'm not sure if it locks up any better in 3. I had it in 3 on the grades approaching the passes, and it stayed unlocked a lot. i had enough power and temp headroom to climb the 4000' passes in 3, but with the tranny unlocking, my tranny temps kept skyrocketing.

i don't have a gauge to measure intake air temps, but i'm wondering if high IAT's would be a reason why it kept unlocking in 3? I'll have to ask Bill sometime.

rjwest
07-29-2004, 12:11
Perry, Thanks,

I only have a Kennedy Boost fooler, Made a Big differance in Power, But still the TCC unlocks.

I am holding off on the " ReflasH " in hopes of someone figuring out how to control the TCC lockup along with the power increase..

i am using the MTtwister TCC lock up switch to
keep transmission locked up on big hills, That and
the deep tran pan keep the temperatures at 200 and
below. Just a pain of switching on and off, might
as well have a standard shift...

markrinker
07-29-2004, 16:44
Stays locked in OD unless you are really towing heavy, or on a very steep grade, even at WOT.

rj
08-12-2004, 11:39
Thanks everyone for the input. I'm now using the maxi-torq 2.0. Sweeeet! I've never before had such steady power through the full RPM range. Haven't towed with it yet, but there's been a noticeable change in "empty" driving.

65turboman
08-12-2004, 13:17
Does the 2.0 chip require the turbo-master, or can you use the factory vacuum controlled wastegate?

cudaaa
08-12-2004, 18:24
65turbo
The turbomaster is well worth the money & easy to install! Plus you can get rid of your vac pump! Hope this helps cudaaa :D

Marty Lau
08-16-2004, 08:40
Originally posted by 65turboman:
Does the 2.0 chip require the turbo-master, or can you use the factory vacuum controlled wastegate?

I have had both the orginal MaxiTork and now the 2.0. I paid a few extra bucks and got the newer version, well worth it in my book. The 2.0 is much a smoother increase and seems to run better in the mid power ranges.

Perry
08-17-2004, 18:42
I have the factory wastegate with the Max-E-tork 2.0. My system works fine, with boost peaking right at 15 while towing up the mountains.

Turbine Doc
08-17-2004, 19:36
Perry you need IC or WMI if you plan to run that much boost need to back off to about 7 psi or so if you want the truck to last IAT climbs very high fast with that much boost.

For trans go to a deep pan that gives extra fluid to haet up also an additional 12V fan remote trans cooler helps. My last pull 18K trailer trans on 100F day never went over 200.

Perry
08-18-2004, 21:55
An IC is next on my upgrade list, maybe next year...fortunately, I don't plan to tow across the mountains anytime soon.

I use my Suburban mostly to haul the kids around town...but with the hills around Seattle, my boost still peaks at 10-11...average boost is usually only 4-8...so I don't think an IC would do me much good until I'm ready for my next towing trip.