PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a suggestion for alarm for Duramax?

Jim 21
05-24-2002, 13:32
I am considering having an alarm system installed on my Duramax.This is my fist diesel and I am not sure about the kill start type of system. Does anyone out there have one and if so what kind? Is there anything or kind I should be sure to avoid. Thanks

mdrag
05-24-2002, 15:18
Topic moved to 2500HD/3500 Accessories Forum.

GMC D-Max
05-25-2002, 09:07
I would suggest taking a look at the Compustar line of alarms. They have remote start capability (compatible with diesel, senses the 'wait to start' indicator), a built in 'turbo-timer' (will keep the truck running for a preset amount of time after you exit the vehicle, lock the doors, and set the alarm), and has a two-way communication system with the remote (good up to 1/4 mile with the FM system, better than 1 mile with the new Spread Spectrum system). This will allow you to remotely check the status of the engine (running or not), unlocked doors, or open windows. It can also alert you that your truck is being tampered with without actually setting off the alarm. ('cause we all know nobody pays any attention to an alarm going off anymore!).
I haven't invested in one of these myself, yet. I'm still shopping for the absolute best price I can get. If you're savvy with vehicle electrical systems, and want to tackle the install yourself, you can find these alarms on eBay fairly regularly (and a lot cheaper than from a local shop!).

carnutsx2
05-25-2002, 17:41
In my humble opinion I would look for a good-no great installer. After being in the business for longer than I care to admit I have seen more problems and broken dreams from install problem and unrealistic expectations. First of all an alarm wont protect your truck from everything and everyone. If they want it its gone! Second there are 3 Major manufactures (I know there are a ton of small brand out there) If you plan on traveling get a nationally known brand. Nothing is worse than being stuck in the middle of no place with a bad remote. Third add on modules are just that-add-on, for some reason the just don't seem to last like the built in parts. Remember your dealing with between $25-$100 at cost for an alarm that is to run a $40,000 truck it may not, can't or won't do everything the sales guy may tell you. Just one guys opinion

Jim 21
05-26-2002, 10:03
Thanks for the input on the subject. I am consideing a Code Alarm Product. I had one on a luxury automobile several years ago. No one stole it, but they probably didn't try as far as i know.
I had a Code Alarm 1100 installed a few weeks ago on a new little sporty car I bought for my granddaughter to take to college. All the kids take two or three looks at the car. Maybe it will stop them. Let's hope so.
As far as the major brands, I do not know, but I am pretty sure Code Alarm is nationwide. The dealer I used has been around at least 12 years. I do not have the expertise to make any great judgments. Any advice is appreciated. Jim