PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Brake Controller Installation

odoh
05-25-2002, 18:18
In preparation to install my prodigy unit, I'm confused as to where to plug in the GM wiring harness plug on the electrical center. Looking at the inside of the center cover, there is a lable of the physical layout ~ and to my eye, it doesn't match anything in the electrical center :confused: Does anyone know which socket/position the plug is supposed to connect? TIA ~ odoh :confused:

mdrag
05-25-2002, 19:07
odoh,

The brake controller harness plugs into the MBEC located on the driver's side near the kick panel (front of driver's footwell in the corner where the carpet ends). IIRC, it plugs into C5, which should be in the upper right part. The 40A Maxi-fuse goes in the under hood electrical center STUD#1 to provide accesory 12V power to the 7 way receiver mounted recpt.

odoh
05-25-2002, 22:08
mdrag ~ Got it. It goes into the second from the left, uppermost row. Thanks ~ odoh

Disney Campers
05-28-2002, 21:12
I just went throught this very same situation, that cover and diagram do not seem to match the pattern of the fuses and plugs, Just installed the prodigy, now just need to hook up the trailer and try it out.

SDWA
05-28-2002, 23:10
IIRC, the MBEC connectors are all "keyed" for their correct location, meaning you can't plug into the wrong location...

Scott

odoh
05-29-2002, 13:44
Uh-uh. Donwanna count on that. ~ odoh

Russ Denman
05-29-2002, 23:00
GM really is getting their act together. I was planning on drilling holes to mount my brake but found 2 holes on the under side lip of the dash between the driver's legs. I would have preferred a position over the 4X4 selector but that would have required drilling holes and the lip is not flat at that point.

bora
05-30-2002, 10:53
Russ

I used the same spot for mounting the prodigy.

I thought it would interfere with the pedal but it does not and it is nice and close to reach in an emergency.

AlaskaDmax
05-30-2002, 14:44
Russ,

Does that location get in the way of your legs when entering and exiting the seat? What about ease of access in an emergency?

tpitt
05-30-2002, 15:13
I mounted my prodigy to a single screw above the accelerater pedal. Just next to the console. I used the hang down bracket and tightened the screw next to the console with a pair of pliers.
I absolutely hate to drill any holes in the dash if I can help it, but when I install an exhaust brake I will probably have to. tpitt

Ironhead
05-30-2002, 18:15
You guys must have some long arms to reach the controller at the bottom of the dash :D I made a little extention plate for mine. I took a little piece of sheet metal on hand, cut to prodigy width and about 6" long and bent it the same angle as the dash, drilled holes in the bottom edge and mounted the plate to the bottom of the dash above go petal. predrilled the top edge for the prodigy mount. put a little foam between the plate and dash to keep from chaffing and vibrating. Now prodigy is a lot easier to reach. I painted the mount ext black but was thinking about doing over with alum.

bora
05-31-2002, 10:42
AlaskaDmax

The middle install location does not get in the way, it looks like it would but it doesn't/

hoot
05-31-2002, 11:29
"I absolutely hate to drill any holes in the dash if I can help it, but when I install an exhaust brake I will probably have to. tpitt"

Are you kidding me? You know how we put holes in our airboxes so they breath better? I did it to my dash too. I didn't register a big gain but it sure feels like it seat-of-the-pants ;) ;)

SOTP New acronym!!!!!

AlaskaDmax
05-31-2002, 13:10
Ironhead,

How about some pics...I am a big fan of home manufacturing...the job I have allows for tons of self made items...I DIG it!!! :D :D

Pics, brother!

Tpitt,

I drilled my holes in the metal frame just under the dash so as not to create any unsitely holes in the plastic dash should the brake controller ever need to come out.

Ironhead
05-31-2002, 20:17
AlaskaDmax,
Sorry I am computer picture illiterate. For the life of me it is something I cant grasp. I even had a young smart alec computer whizz kid come over and try to teach me and wrote down step by step, but when I pull out those instructions to try on my own it just dont happen. I was trying awhile back to post some pics of a custom dump bed I made for a customer that I mounted on a 2500 short bed ext cab Dmax I though some of you might get a kick out of that but it was not to be.

tpitt
05-31-2002, 21:15
Hoot:
I cant see the airbox from the seat. Theres just something about drilling holes in a new vehicle, kind of like the first scratch or dent.
I can reach my controller just fine where it is. I guess it helps to be part Orangutan. (Boy thats a tough one to spell, had to get the dictionary) If I could lose about 60# I would have even longer reach :rolleyes: tpitt

CanadaKev
05-31-2002, 21:34
Ironhead,
I was 'computer picture' illiterate until yesterday as well. Some of the guys here helped me out. I took a role of film down to the drug store where I get them developed. I asked them how I could get the pics on the internet. They said for a $5 fee ($3US) we'll put them on for you. In the time it took to get home, there they were. Simple as that. They leave the pics on their site for 30 days for you or others to link to. Then just download the pics to your computer to do with what you will.

stillracing
06-01-2002, 06:50
I am going to try to mount my Prodigy in the ashtray holder and remove it when not in use.

Thanks for the location of the plug.

Disney Campers
06-01-2002, 11:18
I thought about the ash tray idea but I don't think it will fit, if you get it to work though i would love to see it.

stillracing
06-01-2002, 21:51
It won't fit all the way in, but most of it goes in.

tpitt
06-01-2002, 22:03
stillracing:
Boy you sure left that statement wide open :rolleyes: tpitt

stillracing
06-09-2002, 21:04
I'm getting a flashing "SH" on my prodigy which means a short somewhere. 2000 yr trailer, brakes like they have never been used,

I checked the positive and ground at the plug at the bumper and am not getting a 12v light to come on.

Any thoughts?

VPayne
06-09-2002, 22:36
Stillracing, my husband and I went through a big ordeal a couple of weeks ago when we installed our Prodigy. We did not get an 'SH' though. When we plugged in the trailer, nothing happened at the controller (still showed NC). When we tested the positive/ground at back of vehicle, we didn't get a 12V light to work either (make sure you are stepping on brake or applying manual control when you test this, or it WON'T light up). We tried the blue wire at the point where it enters the 7 pin connector (behind the connector) and were able to get the 12V light to work, so we figured out that there was a faulty connection between the blue wire and the terminal in the 5 o'clock position.

SDWA
06-10-2002, 00:11
Stillracing,

You won't get +12 at the positive terminal (I assume you're talking about the 2 o'clock position) unless you have the maxi-fuse installed in the underhood electrical box in the STUD 1 position.

If you are referring to the 5 o'clock position terminal for +12v, there won't be 12v there (for more than a fraction of a second when brakes are applied) with no trailer connected - the brains of the Prodigy are -too- smart and cut the +12v output and display "n.c." if it doesn't sense the proper resistance - I didn't think a 12v bulb would provide enough resistance to fool the controller, but VPayne says theirs did...

As for your short... assuming you are using a 7-way connector (no adapters) and SH doesn't appear with no trailer connected (if so, there's a short in the truck wiring; if you have it, check the "camper provision" wiring bundle (option UY2)at the front of the bed underneath the truck as a starting point) you could try disconnecting each wheel's brake magnet one at a time - if the SH disappears, the last one you disconnected was the problem. If it's still there with the brakes disconnected, there's a short in the trailer chassis wiring somewhere.

Good luck!

Scott

[ 06-10-2002: Message edited by: SDWA ]</p>

stillracing
06-10-2002, 21:17
I will have to try disconnecting each brake magnet. What a pain!

IndigoDually
06-12-2002, 08:50
The problem that I am having is that when I hook up any of my horse trailers the controller works fine (even the 10,000lb empty one). But my 20' enclosed trailer with mowers in it causes the controller to display OL (overload) and applies and totally releases the brakes constantly for a jerking motion when stopping. The trailer works fine with the Commander in my other trucks. All of the drums are similarly hot so I think that all of the brakes are working the same.

Any ideas?

John

4x4man
05-16-2003, 12:13
I decided to move my Prodigy up from under the dash to one of the useless cubby holes GM gave us for 03.
Here is a pic of what a buddy and I did:

http://www.webphotos.com/view_photo.asp?mi=3&smi=1&a=97210&p=2379067

Anyway, we are always trying to do things different then anyone else, this seemed like the next challenge.....

Bob

WillowCreekStable
05-16-2003, 12:27
4X4Man - I see in your sig that you own the trailer jointly, but the truck is yours. Or does she just let you think its yours????? :D :D

[ 05-16-2003: Message edited by: WillowCreekStable ]</p>

TPIJeep
05-17-2003, 18:55
4x4man,

When I try and look at your pictures all I get is a graphic that is yellow with "MR HOSTBOT" on it. Nothing else, I had this same problem once before with somebodys elses pictures. I would REALLY like to see how you mounted the Prodigy in an 03 cause my controller is on the way.. Could you please email them to me at mark@tpijeep.com ?

Thanks so much!

DURAMONSTER
05-18-2003, 02:26
Ok, I have to ask. What is a prodigy. I have a drawtight brakecontroler. Its digital and runs up to 6 brakes and was a $100 or so. so why do I keep seeing the name prodigy. Please enlighten me.

wushaw
05-18-2003, 17:09
A drawtight is a door stop smile.gif and a Prodigy and a Jordan are real brake controllers. Both of these provide equal brake control between truck and trailer, you don't feel the trailer pulling on you when you come to a stop. There is no constant adjustment with different driving conditions.

4x4man
05-19-2003, 08:57
Willow-

You are the first person to comment on that! The truck is mine, the trailer is ours! :D
Actually they are both my toys, but I will only share the trailer... hehehehe

Bob

4x4man
05-19-2003, 08:58
TPIJeep-

Email is on the way!! Sorry for the late reply!!

Bob

Silver Bullet
05-20-2003, 12:01
Hey 4x4...I was going to mount my BC in about CD holder on my '02 until I read this in the BC documentation...

"Do not mount or activate RF generating items (cell phones, two way radios) near (less than 12") the brake control."

I keep my cell phone, Motorola radio, and GPS in or near the cup holder in the center console.

Check out: http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=001010&p=

SB

4x4man
05-20-2003, 13:59
Steve-

Thanks for the info, as usual I read over the warnings and most of the instructions... :rolleyes:

I wonder what can happen with a cell phone or two way near the BC?? We have taken two trips with the BC in its new location and haven't had any trouble with my cell being in the cup holder. But I certainly don't want to have problems with the BC coming down Monarch Pass this weekend!! :eek:

Just might have to do a little research. Thanks for the heads up!!

Bob

4x4man
05-20-2003, 14:15
Just talked with a lady at Tekonsha tech support. This warning more applies more to CB's mounted close to the BC then anything else. She stated that when you would key the mic it can cause the controller to activate the trailer brakes!! :eek:

She stated they haven't done extensive testing with cell phones to say something could happen and told me to keep an eye out for that type of event if I choose to keep my cell phone in the cup holder near the Prodigy. I sure would hate to have the trailer brakes apply when the cell phone rings or something like that, so the phone gets located away from the BC, just in case!!

Again, thanks for the heads up, and hopefully this sheds a little more light on why Tekonsha put out this warning!!

Bob

Silver Bullet
05-20-2003, 15:07
Bob,
That's good to know...thanks for taking it a step further and calling Tekonsha.

I won't see Monarch Pass until September! :D