PDA

View Full Version : Best Bed Cover for my Silverado

RVGuy
08-13-2002, 11:50
I'd like to hear from those of you with bed covers on your trucks...good and bad.

I am especially interested to hear from those who might have the Undercover brand bed cover.

Pictures would be great too.

Thanks,

Vivayo
08-13-2002, 13:00
Jim:
I have an Extang Classic Platinum soft cover. I've had a SportMaster soft cover on my old truck for 8+ years, so I pretty much knew what to expect (good & bad) with a soft bed cover. The Extang is much better built than the SM - snaps are reversible to accomodate the summer stretching and winter shrinking of the cover, and the Extang corner fittings are metal vs. plastic on the SM (the DS rear fitting snapped in half a few days ago - I had to show it to the guy that's buying the truck). One thing I liked about the SM was that the cab rail had snaps, whereas the Extang is a plastic strip that slides into a channel in the rail. I can't just unsnap one of the front corners to access the front of the bed (like if I had an in-bed aux tank that I wanted to refill).
When I put the SM on, I noticed a ~1.5MPG increase at highway speeds. I expect about the same on my 2500HD, but only had a few miles (not enough to get a baseline), so I'll never know just what it does for me.
The soft cover is more susceptible to damage than a topper or hard tonneau, but my SM survived, so I'm not worried. I prefer being able to roll up the cover and not be limited to the height of what I can carry in the bed.
Sorry, but I'm not familiar with the brand you ask about.
YMMV.

crafty
08-13-2002, 14:51
I too have the Extang soft cover. (There is a series of pics at the link below under accessories) I chose the soft cover because I have a hitch in the floor of the box and didn't want to be messing with a hard top when I needed to hook onto a trailer. I've had soft tarps for 17 years now and if you look after them you should get 7 or 8 years out of one. The extang is way better than what I had before.

Kennedy
08-13-2002, 19:28
I've really grown to like the Retrax cover. Rolls SMOOOTH on the ball bearings...

White Knight
08-13-2002, 19:33
I had a Lear lid on my previous truck. I liked the sporty look, but it was not practical when trying to carry anything. The Lear, or any hard, non-retractable, lid greatly limits what can be carried in the bed of the pickup. On my 2500HD I got an ARE topper that is cab high. It is so much better for the way I use my truck.

JustWondering
08-13-2002, 20:26
RVGuy,
I gots a Pace-Edwards electric BEDLOCKER cover.

The good - Very convenient, when you need to use the bed, just push the button on your remote control transmiter and wallah, the cover retracts automatically.

The bad - You'll loose about a foot of usable bed space to the cover canister that sits on the back of the bed.

RVGuy
08-13-2002, 21:11
I had a Roll n Lock on my previous truck and like it. But I think it was way overpriced. Has anyone had experience with the bed lid made by Undercover, Inc. out of Rogersville, MO.? Its reasonibly priced and easily removable.

woundedbear
08-14-2002, 07:55
If you are leaning towards a soft cover, I would highly recommend the Truxedo (click link in sig for website). I have had it for about nine months and it has addressed all of the problems that I used to have with my previous SportMaster soft covers. It can easily roll it up tight for unobstructed bed access without the help of others, the crossmembers roll up with the cover so you don't lose them, it can be removed and refastened in zero degree temps due to velcro fastening and auto tensioners, and you still have access to your stake pockets. Another BIG plus is the price...I had it delivered to my door for $385.

BadDog
08-14-2002, 15:07
I agree about the limits of the hard tops. I also had a Lear on my old Ram. Looked good, smoothed out wind buffet at high speed, settled the suspension a bit, nice for stowing luggage, groceries, etc. but not practical for any real work and too bulky/heavy to remove/install frequently. For the most part I liked it, but I wouldn't do it again. I'm thinking seriously about getting a cab height shell on the 2500HD. Too much money right now though, and having an open bed is nice much of the time...

Joe Pool
08-14-2002, 17:40
RVGuy,

The Undercover units warp and twist when the sun is on them. I have seen them fit tight at the front and rear of a short bed and arch up as much as 3/4" in the middle when they are in the sun. They also drop low enough below the siderails to not allow most "undercover" products to be used in the bed [toolboxes, fuel tanks, etc]. Just my $.02 worth.

After looking at quite a few hard covers I went with an A.R.E. LS II and am very satisfied with it.

Joe smile.gif

sturgeon-phish
08-15-2002, 17:03
A buddy of mine has the roll and lock and likes it but the lock linkage has dropped a pin a couple of times making it unlockable and a pain to fix.
John, the Retrax you mention, does it have a "box" that it rolls up in that fits in the bed like roll and lock? Are the stake holes accessable with the retrax system? I've had caps, but a pain to remove. Soft covers, cover but not secure. I like the Retrax looks pretty neat. Hpoefully one is in the future for my truck
Jim

Big O
08-16-2002, 20:41
Hey, do they make a bed cover that works with the Adrian toolbox and the Honda Rancher behind that? :D :D Oh well! :D

socaltoolguy
08-17-2002, 22:33
I've got a 2001 crewcab duallie with a roll n lock cover. so far so good. small water leak at the back where it meets the tailgate. called the manufacturer and was advised that it is common and he said I should be able to seal it with something. so far I haven't found anything that I like to seal it with. Lucky that we haven't had a lot of rain this year. Other than that I am happy.

Steve Cornell
08-18-2002, 07:02
I have the Access cover on my truck and find it very practical.
I tow a gooseneck trailer and in 30 seconds I can go from covered to uncovered, it takes up no room in the front of the bed and is lockable (if you have a locking tailgate, however a thief with a sharp knife could easily get into it but a determined thief can get into any cover.
To see pictures go to my 2500HD website (link in sig.) and click on (Aftermarket items I have installed)

Steve

shft22
08-23-2002, 11:09
I have a Retrax sitting on my garage now, I received Monday, but the rails were damaged on shipping, I call them spoke with Randy, he asked me a couple of questions and send me a new set of rails, it should arrive today. The product looks well built, and their customer support is really good. I will post next week after I get it installed.

Diesel Dad
08-23-2002, 14:13
Hi,
I have had 2 bed covers for my Duramaxes.

On my 2500HD, I had a Roll-n-Lock. After an initial alignment problem, it functioned well (opened and closed with reasonable effort, stayed locked, somewhat waterproof) except for a couple of lock freeze-ups. The vinyl on the cover did not hold up well and developed grey lines from the aluminum slats that could not be removed. Eventually, the dealer replaced the cover but the same problem started to develop on the new cover.

I did have a scary problem with the cover while towing a fifth-wheel. The wind currents in the truck box pulled the Roll-n-Lock strap between the cab and box where it tangled on the prop shaft. It snapped with a huge bang but ultimately did not do too much damage. On any cover with a strap, use a cable tie to roll up the strap before towing !

On my 3500, the previous owner installed an Armor-Roll cover, which is made locally in Okotoks Alberta. The company makes aluminum shutters for windows etc. It is a terrible cover. I can't get it to stay aligned for love or money. It takes a huge effort to close (probably 100 lbs. of force or more) even after repeated lubrication. It looks OK and stays locked but will have to be replaced.

I would not buy either cover again. But a rolling cover is very handy to keep the bed covered and secure while not towing. I may try a Retrax next time and would like to hear opinions from users in the snowbelt.

Regards.

[ 08-23-2002: Message edited by: Diesel Dad ]</p>

shft22
08-27-2002, 18:54
Received the replacement rails as promised, I had received a call from Retrax with a shipping update and the tracking number, this to me says a lot about a company, I didn

LeeV
08-28-2002, 16:20
I have had the Retrax for about 6-months and would buy it again. The bearings that run in the tracks really make it run smooth. It was easy for one person to install, I just used some blocks to hold up the box while I attached the rails and then lowered to to the bed side. I just wax the surface at the same time as the truck and it looks like new. The only problem is that it gets hotter than he#@ when it's in the sun. Sorry, no snow down here so I can't help you there.

DMAX Daddy
08-31-2002, 14:27
Just installed my Retrax. Took me more time to get 1/8 in side to side play dialed in then to do the rest of it! Very nice product, worth the cash IMO.

AKDmax
09-01-2002, 00:14
Retrax here too. Company was a pleasure to deal with. Fits and looks good. Not waterproof but water-resistant. Wish I could find a aux tank that fit under the cover box. can't comment on the snow yet, but it'll be here soon... see pics if your interested.

Budz
09-01-2002, 07:37
AKDmax, how do your J&J running boards attach? Frame or body? In existing holes or drilling required? Thanks. They look good!

Budz

AKDmax
09-01-2002, 12:57
They attach frame and body. Some drilling was required as I think most boards require. VERY sturdy boards and seem to be holding up well. Thanks for the compliment.

ct0218
09-01-2002, 19:37
What is the approximate price for a Retrax? I've got to get one soon and it appears to be the way to go.

LeeV
09-04-2002, 16:14
Mine was $900 from the only dealer I could find within 50 miles that had one I could see. He had to order it so I was able to pick it up in the original packaging (that's the way I like things). The unit was very well packed so if you find a good price on-line, you can be pretty confident it will get there in good shape.

DMAX Daddy
09-04-2002, 20:41
I got mine from the Retrax website, ordered by phone, dealt with Randy, was shipped and at my house in 6 days.