PDA

View Full Version : Lift pump replacement

Spindrift
11-12-2004, 08:19
I know I'll have to hang my head in shame after I learn just how simple this could have been.

Replaced the lift pump last night. Forgot to take into account the siphon effect on the supply line. Got to love the feeling of diesel fuel running into your shirt sleeves. What would have been the best way to break the siphon prior to beginning the job?

ees
11-12-2004, 18:10
I have been there. I had a bad leak due to rusted lines. If you have compressed air you could blow the lines clear back to the tank, but you would want to losen the cap first so you didn't just shoot it back out the other line. That of course would still require breaking the lines first and getting wet.

Or you could park on a hill such that the lift pump was higher than the top of the tank.

Spindrift
11-12-2004, 19:32
Eric,

That Burb of yours looks like quite the project. From the looks of those rear brakes, that truck must have been sittin' in the Chesapeake.

ees
11-16-2004, 17:26
When I replaced the rusted out fuel tank the plastic liner had sand in it. The person who owned it before the crook I bought it from lived on Long Island. I think it must have spent some time on the beach from the things I have had to fix.

Of course the person I bought it from said it was in great shape for its age with only minor "surface" rust.

Grrr

charliepeterson
11-16-2004, 19:19
I suppose you could try blowing air back to the tank but you'll still have fuel spraying out when you pull the trigger?
I've found the quickest way is to put on an old shirt, have everything ready to go in, put your finger over the feed line coming from the tank and swap out the pump real quick.
Nothing should really come from the front of the truck compared from the back. The back connection is the last one off and the first one on.
Antisieze paste is good to put on everything before it goes back together.

CareyWeber
11-16-2004, 20:04
Best way is to install a prelift-pump filter (mines a Racor 445). When I swapped my lift-pump out a vice grip lightly clamped on the rubber hose from the filter eliminates the mess. ;) :D :D