PDA

View Full Version : Srayin bedliners, Opinions?

Coghlin
09-09-2003, 16:35
What sprayin bedliners have people tried? I think that I am going to get a rhino liner done but wanted to check what others have done. I wanted to put a 5th wheel hitch in so I guess this is my best alternative. I like the plastic liners for their toughness though. You can dump a load of gravel in and shovel it out.

Thanks in advance,

VFRRider
09-09-2003, 16:37
There are lots out there, Rhino is good stuff, I think you'll find most here rant about Line-X. Its what I have on mine and I wouldn't go with anything else. Personal preference only.

Mike

HDMXDiesel0817
09-09-2003, 16:50
I've got a Rhino on mine, no problems with it here, over the rail, and it looks great.

DieselDixon
09-09-2003, 17:29
I have had Line-X for about 4 months and no problems.

ryeguy
09-09-2003, 19:09
I've got an Armaguard/Ameriguard spray-in box liner.

Mixed opinions.
IMHO it's got the nicest finish - new.

If you aren't using your box for much, I think you'll be happy with it. I've seen this brand box liner after 2 years and it still looks like new - because the guy was only using it to haul furniture, cardboard boxes, etc.

I've got about 18 months on mine and the tailgate is on it's 2nd re-do. And I've had one over-the-box-rail redone. And misc patching too. But I'm hauling 550lb axles (4 at a time), plus rims, plus trans's, T-cases, tires, blah blah you get the idea...often all at once and the truck is often at its GVWR when hauling too. So the box is banged up on the inside. I honestly expected the liner to hold up better than it has...but that said it has seen some serious use and the box would be a lot worse than without any liner. And the guys at the shop have been great about re-touching it - and service is important to me.

I had the 5th wheel hitch sliders installed before the box was sprayed.

I don't think that a plastic drop-in liner would have held up to what I do. Plus, I like the traction/friction it gives me over the plastic stuff.

I'm debating if I should have gone for a full aluminum drop-in box - but that'd like get dented too.

In the end, I'll give it a thumbs up, though. My buddy has a Line-X liner installed in his Jeep and it's requiring touch-up after a couple years too. And all it's doing is insulating his feet and camping gear.

--Rob

LA DMAX
09-11-2003, 16:53
Coghlin,
I have had the Line-X for over a year. Great protection, the only thing is that it slightly fades over time, but you can get this spray that will make it shine like it was brand new. Which ever you get, have your 5th wheel holes cut out first then spray in the bed liner.

Plastic bed liners are rugged but there are 2 critical problems with those. 1. Over time they will sand down the paint in your bed from the normal shifting(even if it is custom fit). 2. water will then get inbetween the liner and your bed and it will start to rust.

Both Line-X and Rhino are good products. I chose Line-X because it is sprayed on hot, it doesn't cover up your beds drain holes, it is thinner but I believe more rugged. I have dragged refrigerators, a washing machine, motorcycles and have had no problems. Hope it helps you out.

LA DMAX
On edit: Make sure whoever does it that they are REPUTABLE and have a warranty of some kind. The guy that did mine was an engineer and was very meticulous about every detail. If it ever has a problem I can bring it back for a repair no questions.

gene smith
09-11-2003, 17:14
I have the line x in a 99 GMC 3/4 that i drive in sales and haul some rugid oil field parts, you would say i am lying if i told you how many miles i have been doing this so i wont go there, it still looks good and with some tough detergent it looks new. just my 2 cents worth but i love it
Geno

forgot to tell you -I got a lifetime warranty

bluenote
09-11-2003, 18:25
The Line-X is supposed to be covered by a nationwide lifetime warranty, at least that's what mine has. My understanding is that the Rhino is also covered by a lifetime warranty, but only by the shop that originally installed it. I really like my Line-X, but would never say you can go wrong with the Rhino either.

Phil B.
09-11-2003, 22:12
LA DMAX - You must of used the guy out in Monrovia (?). I've used him for 3 different truck, always does a good job. He quit his job at TRW, as an engineer, to start up the LineX shop.

Phil B.

Coghlin
09-12-2003, 04:44
I booked for a rhino liner today. This shop was more convenient. I looked at a couple of other products and they looked really crappy. The one guy told me if I put in something heavy it would scratch his product but he would touch it up. I don't want that. I don't want it to need touching up. The rhino guy seemed to stand by his product and it looks good. I always liked the plastic liners in my other trucks. I just took them out once a year and painted used oil on the inside of the box. I had no problems with rusting and they took a hell of a beating. I put skids with 2500 lbs on the liner, rocks, gravel steel and never had a problem. But the plastic liner would have to get holes cut in it for a 5th wheel hitch so I think the rhino is best. Thanks for the suggestions, I would have gone with a line-x too but there is no one local who does it.

LA DMAX
09-12-2003, 18:01
Phil,
You're right, that's the guy, off of Myrtle Ave. He did a great job on my liner. You must be happy with your's otherwise you wouldn't have gone back to him so many times. Hey, I read a post in the drivetrain forum where you couldn't pull your trailer with your 6.0L. Do you live up by Altadena Dr.? I heard that the 6.0 was a high revving engine for polution control reasons, but didn't think it wouldn't have power to pull up hills. Guess you're much happier with your 350. Talk to ya later.

LA DMAX

Coghlin
09-15-2003, 08:24
I used the rhino liner this weekend. I loaded up the truck and trailer with wood. The liner seemed to stand up very good. I guess time will. I also like the look. I find it a bit too "grippy" though. Probably will put a metal sheet in the bed when I am loading skids in the back to help them slide in.

SmokeyMax
09-15-2003, 15:08
My brother in-law owns a LineX franchise and...I have had both the Rhino & lineX. I can tell you that the linex is superior due to the higher temperature in which its applied. The Rhino fades and gets "chalky" with time. Rhino seems to be softer and less durable.

Also, once the base linex is applied, they then mist more lineX on to provide a non-slip surface.

Hope this helps.

tysmith
09-15-2003, 16:02
I have Line-X. Excellent product. My buddy has Rhino, also an excellent product. My truck is used for plumbing/heating work, so it sees some pretty rugged abuse, and is holding up great. I know first hand that the Rhino will take a beating from many pounds of MDF sliding back and forth while doing some Juice demos. ;)

To each his own. Both are worthy spray-ins.

Ty

BlueOx03
09-16-2003, 20:39
The biggest difference between the Rhino and Line x is the texture. Line X is kinda rough like 200 grit sandpaper where Rhino is smoother like water droplets. The biggest factor is application. As with paint the surface must be properly prepped and the person spaying it should know what they're doing. Mine turned out great, a month late a guy I worked with got his done at the same place and it looks like total crap. The place changed owners and the new guy isn't so good. So check the place out good prior to committing.
Along with what TySmith said when it's properly applied, you'll destroy the box and the tail gate before you damage the Rhino TRUST ME!!

TJ

Buck
09-21-2003, 14:03
I've got a Rhino. After a few months in the sun it will get a slight chalky look to it. It had the UV coating too. Not a problem as I have a PE roll top cover now.

MAV
09-23-2003, 09:12
I am getting my Line-X sprayed in today. We'll see how it turns out on a used bed. I am also having the front face of my aux 60 gal fuel tank sprayed. I will then paint it white so it won't absorb the sun too bad. I'll put some pics up tomorrow.

ratlover
09-23-2003, 10:01
any one hear of ArmorThane? It supposedly some fairly think rubbery kinda stuff that goes on with heat. Local guy wants 450 plus 50 for over the rails on a longbed.

JEBar
09-23-2003, 10:38
I've had two trucks sprayed with Herculiner and have been well pleased. Holds its color and is tough ... Jim

MAV
09-24-2003, 08:22
Pics......

Before:
http://pic8.picturetrail.com/VOL227/437876/777914/25620715.jpg
After:
http://pic8.picturetrail.com/VOL227/437876/777914/34406771.jpg
Turned out real good. More pics here (http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=777914&uid=437876) .

cmadmaxman
09-24-2003, 09:16
Had my s-10 done with color matched local with Speed Liner. It has been on the truck for about a year now. It is not very thick and is, they say one of the hardest spray in liners on the market. The color got darker, but still looks good. It has stained some. Will get a shot of it now that we can post pic's on here, so you can take a look at the color match of this product.

BlueOx03
09-24-2003, 16:41
Wow Mav, that does look real good. It makes me want to go buy a bed tank just so I can get it done up like that. I'll add it to the already long list of toys I don't really need tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

TxDoc
09-24-2003, 22:05
I have a SpeedLiner http://www.speedliner.com. Main reason is the dealer who does the install is well known for ATD. SpeedLiner has a tensile strength of 4,600 psi and a tear strength of 610 lbs/in compared to 2200 psi for comparable products. SpeedLiner can be made in any color, even two-tones or graphics and is color stable, and is a non-skid textured surface.

Speedliner

cmadmaxman
09-26-2003, 05:55
Here is a shot of my S-10 Look at the whole album.

web page (http://community.webshots.com/user/cbwood72)

dadeagle
09-29-2003, 21:29
I had ArmorThane sprayed in my short bed 2500 in Sept 02. Looks real good, thick and seems to hold up well. My rig is basically a trailer puller, but is used for hauling all kinds of junk left over from construction projects. Paid $295 for the job. Talked to the dealer whose main business is horse trailers and he said that this product holds up better in horse trailers than anything he has tried.

ratlover
09-30-2003, 04:46
I did get ArmorThane over the rails done on my truck. Very thick and rubbery. I got a pretty heavy bumpy surfface but I think the can make it any texture. We will see how well it holds up.