PDA

View Full Version : Better radio?

ryeguy
08-21-2002, 09:42
Hi guys,

I've been researching for a better deck for my '02. The stock deck isn't *that* bad, but I'm looking for an improvement. So far, I've come across 2 Alpine units (CDA-D853, CDA-D857), which seem to be discontinued and hard to find. And a couple of Pioneer units that are cheaper (DEH-P47DH, DEH-P77DH (the DEH-P86DHR was discontinued)), but just don't look good (to me). And for the features you get with them, they certainly aren't cheap when compared to regular DIN units. I want a 1.5 DIN deck, I don't consider a regular DIN unit with an adaptor plate a real option. Has anyone looked into putting a Bose deck from a late-model GM car into their pick-up? Anyone want to suggest any other decks out there that would work and be a definite upgrade to the stock unit?

--Rob

DMAXDiva
08-21-2002, 10:30
Hi RyeGuy!

One of my very first upgrades was the stereo...just could'nt hang with that dimestore system GM stuck in this $42k truck (for shame, for shame GM! :mad: :mad: :mad: ). You can see pics of the system in my "truck toys" album. I went with a Kenwood Satellite/CD/MP3 unit, and have been extremely pleased with the results. Many of the other maniacs (er, uh contributors) on this forum have significantly upgraded their sound systems, so you should have no trouble in finding more input than you had bargained for regarding your choices...happy hunting! ;)

[ 08-21-2002: Message edited by: DMAXDiva ]</p>

GMC D-Max
08-21-2002, 15:51
I've got the Pioneer DEH-P77 unit in my truck, and it looks pretty good! (ya gotta play around with the mounting kit, though.) I picked it up new off of eBay for $210. I went with this piece because of the flexibility. 3 preamp outs, internal high pass/low pass crossovers, and true 4-volt output. Obviously, I chose this unit over the others because I'm going to change out all the speakers, add a 10" sub, and 3 amplifiers.

I believe you will find most late model Bose decks to be either A) not much better than what you already have, or B) double-din, in which case it won't fit, not even with a shoehorn. Also, most Bose systems don't have the amps in the deck, they're paired with the speakers. So just swapping out decks will leave you with no tunes!

thechevyhdman
08-22-2002, 07:56
I went out and bought the SonyCDX M630, nice head until Cd RW player, XM ready, Flip down faceplate remote, easy install did myself. The until cost me 310 US funds but is the best unit on the market as off now. Best sounding radio ive heard even through factory speakers!!! Had pioneers before and Kenwood Always had better luck with Kenwood than Pioneer. This time I decided to go with Sony, So far its the best Ive owned yet, never even came close to skipping on a bump or anything.

Alli-max
08-22-2002, 08:28
get one that can be upgraded easily. Most of the top brands are similar. Something with at least 3 volts out on the RCA's. I have a pioneer HU, (dont know trhe part #) but it is MP3 compatable (VERY IMPORTANT FEATURE!... you can store `150 songs on 1 CD), plays CD-R's, and is XM compatable which I use 99% of the time.

Good luck! Goto Car Toys and check out what they have.... or cartoys.com to look for good deals on close outs...

NutNbutGMC
08-23-2002, 09:43
^...Alpine with XM ready. XM installed. Rockford Fosgate speakers, sub, and amp. Chevyman, ahhh, nevermind.... :cool: (LOL) :D

[ 08-23-2002: Message edited by: NutNbutGMC ]</p>

DMAXDiva
08-23-2002, 09:54
Hey Nut'nButGMC:

Well, guess you can start the gloating process now...I read an article in the Houston Chronicle last week (wish I'd copied it) regarding the future of Sirius and XM from an investor's standpoint. It seems that both services are falling short of projected subscriber numbers for the year, but Sirius is in "serious" trouble, and may not have the capital (even with a major cash infusion) to make it through '03...hmmmm...wonder how hard it is to convert to XM? :rolleyes:

NutNbutGMC
08-23-2002, 21:04
^...No gloating here my Texas Peach. I'd never get on your bad side. smile.gif I want to marry your sister. :D There is not (yet) a conversion, per say. The Sirius receivers have different components that do not marry with the XM ready heads. Long technical stuff that I'll leave out. Use it as long as possible and switch out at a later time (if necessary, read on). By then, there will probably be a buyout and an upgrade firmware flash for the TSOP in the Sirius receiver to adapt to the XM eeprom. Patience. XM has already been hacked so it's just a matter of time until they counter ECM and you'll likely be able to get a legal conversion flash.

Disclaimer: Just my dollars 0.02 worth.

glamisboy
09-09-2002, 20:47
My $0.02 worth based my own experiences a few years ago. I got "talked" into buying an Alpine unit, I must admit it sounded great but the quality was not there. Quality as far as the disply going out, CD's not ejecting or not playing. How frustrating it was. Oh yeah "buy an extended warranty" but what a hassle to take the unit out, or bring the vehicle back to the installer. Then you got to drive around w/ no tunes until it's fixed !!!!!!

I've always thought Sony builds the best all around unit, IMO you can't go wrong.

There's my $0.02 worth, thanx for your time.