PDA

View Full Version : Foggy gauge

Nels
08-21-2002, 23:25
Did I spell that right? ;)

I have the Autometer Z series analog gauges for boost and EGT. My EGT gauge fogs over with condensate from the inside, primarily at night. Usually at night I am looking through a foggy lens to read the numbers. :cool: Do I dare take it apart to dry it out inside, or is it a sealed unit that I should not mess with? It has done this since new. Anyone have experience with this? I can't imagine that I am the first one this has happened to.

(I guess if it is a sealed unit, it was not sealed very good :D )

DmaxMaverick
08-21-2002, 23:46
Hi, Nels

If the gage is sealed, the only thing you can do is unseal it and dry it out, short of returning it. If it isn't sealed, just put it in a container with some silica gel (close the container) and set it in the sun, or somewhere that will get quite warm for a day. The warmth will vaporize the moisture and the silica gel will soak it up. When done, place a pinch of the silica gel granules in the gage if you can. Another option, if you can get to the back of the lens is to coat it with an anti-fog product, like the stuff from Rain-X. I've had the problem on a few motorcycle gages. Good luck and let us know what works.

Nels
08-22-2002, 00:51
Silica gel . . . . .

Sometimes we overlook the simplest things. That's worth a try. Thanks!

FirstDiesel
08-22-2002, 04:27
Why not return it for warranty??? How old is it??