PDA

View Full Version : ops

wireweld
07-21-2004, 17:17
My ops failed again. Has there been improvements to this switch? How does one wire in the relay on a 95? Has there been any new developments in this area? :mad:

tom.mcinerney
07-21-2004, 18:46
wireweld--
John Kennedy is about to market [or has, give him a call] a solid-state relay setup that should cure the problem and then some.
If you don't go that route, use a quality {Magnecraft, Potter-Brumfield, Bosche, etc}
automotive relay WITH a built-in diode; cost $5-17.

Generally, when using a relay to fortify a circuit[protect/amplify OEM switch device], Ground one side of relay Coil, connect OEM switch output to other side of coil . Establish which relay output contacts are N.O.(normally open) and N.C.(normally closed). Connect a fused power source (Line, Input Power) to one Normally Open contact, and the output device (Load, Power Out) to the other N.O. contact.

The effect is just like the solenoid amplifying the ignition switch's "start" signal/contact for the starter.

{Iff the intention is to also use the N.C. contacts, the controlled /switched quantity--battery + in this case--needs to be connected to the stationary contact which touches N.C. output at rest, and touches the N.O. output when coil energized}.

The OPS connector-plug has 3 wires: Power; Gage out; Lift Pump out. I'm pretty sure the LP wire is grey/with/orange-stripe, or orange (from memory). I cut Gry/Orange wire 3" from connector: Ran new orange wire from relay coil to OPS connector's Gry/Org tail; ran new grey wire from relay's N.O. Power Out to the other cut end of the Gry/Org wire harness .

Particularly if not using a relay plug, diagram your work, as wiring easily forgotten; takes time to rediscover.

Check the pressure from LP when done; sometimes the arcing OPS points screw up the LP, sometimes the worn LPs burn out the OPS.

Kennedy
07-22-2004, 05:30
VERY close to ready on this. A small batch of prototype boards is in testing, and just need to work out details of packaging, and the OPS that we are going to use.

We will not be carrying any significant current load on the OPS...

j7l2
09-14-2004, 03:47
John,
Do you have your new OPS Kit available yet? What year trucks will it fit? Are you ready to accept orders?
Thank you,
JimO

catmandoo
09-14-2004, 04:26
i'll take 2

j7l2
09-22-2004, 10:57
Just bringing this post to the top again to see if John K. has any news about the availability of his improved OPS/ wiring Kit for the 6.5. What about it JK?
Regards,
JimO

JohnC
09-23-2004, 12:35
Back around 1996, when my '95 had a mere 40K miles on it, I put in a home grown OPS relay. The same week I did the fix, the OPS on my '93, then with about 27K, failed. Go figure. Anyhow, I dissected the failed switch and found that the contacts were eroded as if they had been switching an inductive load. That promped me to but a supression diode on the relay. That (original) OPS is still going strong today at 135K +/-.

Once you get JK's setup, it should last forever...