PDA

View Full Version : Help with electronic to mechanical pump

DickWells
07-21-2004, 17:35
Well, I've had this DB2 with marine internals (4911, I think) for a year now, and I've just got it into the Sub. I got the DB2 fuel lines with the pump. The doggon nut for the No1 nipple at the pump (the timing sensor)was split 3/4 the way around in the threads and the pump people didn't have another one for me! I welded the thing up and ground it down to 3/4 inch hex and welded the pulse sensor part shut on both sides, which of course disabled it. I didn't need it, anyway. Well, it leaks.
My next thought was to order up a set of 8 adapters like are pictured in Jim's manuals and use the DS4 lines. That idea has sort of gone by the wayside now, because they're not that easy to come by. Sooooo, I'm thinking now, that I should just order up a new timing sensor at GM and use the lines that are already in there. What do you guys think?
Next problem is that the witness mark on the DB2 flange is no where near where the mark was on the DS4. So, I set the pump about in the middle of the slots for starters. The thing wouldn't fire at idle, and fired off at about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle, but oh my, when it did fire up, it poured so much white smoke in about three seconds that I couldn't see across my garage! It wouldn't run any where close to right, either. Too far ahead? I set it all the way CCW (toward the passenger side). Even worse. Set it all the way CW(toward the driver). Just as bad. Took off the intake manifold and fired it up again to check that leaking timing sensor, and the white smoke poured out the intake ports like crazy.
Have I not bled the lines enough? I had wetness showing at all 8 injecters before I tightened the lines down.
Have I not hit upon the right timing?
Is the return cercuit from the top of the pump chamber plugged? If so, how do I check it?
Any other tid-bits that I don't know about?
Assuming that I do get this thing running OK again, how do I hook up the fast idle solenoid, electrically? My coolant temp sensor only gets five volts, so I can't run the solenoid from that.
I do have the throttle peddle position sensor and the throttle cable hooked up together quite neatly. The way I did it seems like they should work together in a pretty linear fashion.
I still haven't thought to look at the tach, to see if it's working now. I'll try to think to do that next time I fire up. What's one more disappointment, with all the other issues?
Hope the DP has some ideas for me. If you guys can't come up with something, nobody can.
Thanks.
Dick Wells