PDA

View Full Version : JK Headlight harness installation?

Runaway
12-22-2002, 13:24
Either I am losing more of my memory than I care to admit or I am overly cautious about messing with the wiring on a $40K+ truck.
Anyway, I bought the wiring harness was getting ready to install this thing and found there were no directions that came with the package. I then did a search for possible help from the web site here and it directed me to JK web site for a pdf file. I searched hi/lo for the pdf file and came up empty handed.
Looking over the harness (having some electronic background)I assumed I could figure out what went where and so on. I think I know what I have to do, but need some help. So here I am asking again for assistance.
As I am standing in fornt of the truck, I figured that I would tie into the power at the stud used for jump starting, mount the relays somewhere in the area and use the body/frame bolts for ground (that was the easy part). Getting the headlights out was no problem and seeing how to plug and play the driver's side wasn't going to be a problem. However, looking at the remainder of the harness that would go to the passenger side I had two plugs left. MY QUESTION then, is there going to be 2 (two) OEM connectors NOT used?

Any help would be appreciated.

vab

FirstDiesel
12-22-2002, 14:05
Yup

Your going to use the drivers sider OEM plugs to provide input to the new harness. The new harnnes drives all 4 sets of lights and the OEM connectors on the passengers side are unused.

I picked my power from the stud, grounded to a chassis bolt and attached the relays to an exisiting bolt on the firewall.

The directions are on his website about 2 layers deep on the Headlight booster page.

If you need it and can't find it I'll send it to you, let me know.

[ 12-22-2002: Message edited by: FirstDiesel ]</p>

Runaway
12-22-2002, 14:27
:D Thanks First Diesel, guess I can still figure things out by looking, but better to be safe than sorry.

What did you do with the OEM plugs on passenger side???

Vince

Well I feel foolish, redface.gif just didn't dig deep enough on JK's page. Thanks again, will go out and finish the job now.

[ 12-22-2002: Message edited by: Runaway ]</p>

mackin
12-22-2002, 14:41
Runaway

You could start on either side..Well I did and it works great...The extra stock connections were just taped and tucked away......Similiar to Diode....See more D/A PICS.....Them there KD Bright lights ROCK !!!!!

MAC :D

Runaway
12-22-2002, 14:46
Thanks guys, got'er taken care of, Now I can see the dark sides w'all 4 on....

XTOCAK
12-22-2002, 14:46
Note, if you're installing on a 2002, instead of drilling to attach the two relay's I attached them both to a stud that was stick out of the firewall just under the hood hinge - driver's side. I put them on the stud, and attached it with a nut...worked great and no drilling.

Was on my way coming back from Anchorage last night and ran into a mega snow storm...they were too bright for the snow coming down so I just used parking lights and my OEM fog lights - worked great....sometimes too much light can be a problem too. But Kennedy's harness kit has never failed me when I needed more light so as to keep an eye out for moose!

Kennedy
12-23-2002, 12:07
I was farting around under the air box support tray (things to come) and found a great place to mount the relays! You basically start at the alternator stud, route down to the relays under the tray, then run around the front core support as far outward as you can. This way there is no doubling back or bunching on the wires. Having the extra wire makes life easier in non standard installations.

XTOCAK and First Diesel also apparently found a great place for the relays!

GMC-2002-Dmax
12-23-2002, 16:40
JK,

Can you post a PIC.?????

your harness is on my Christmas List!!! :D

GMC.

SIG: NO SIG :eek: :eek: :eek:

mackin
12-23-2002, 17:04
GMC-2002-Dmax

Sure, Tony, see my PICS......(More D/A PICS)......
That's ok John I'll give you a pass,this time.......Should I raze him???? Oh YA !!!!!!

You must be skipping right over my posts,and I think your KIT rocks.... :( ......GHEESSHH !!!!!!! Still do...... smile.gif
=&gt;http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=000662&p=

MAC

:D tongue.gif :D

[ 12-23-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Kennedy
12-23-2002, 17:20
Sorry Mac, I didn't see that. I fwd you my pic. I originally shot it close up like yours, but then it is hard to see just where on the truck you are looking...

mackin
12-23-2002, 18:10
Jk

No need I was just busta ya.......It's a great spot......Thanks for the PIC, it defines the mounting area well......Go wash that truck....YUCK !!!!! LOL

MAC :D