PDA

View Full Version : High output bulbs

TSimpler
03-05-2004, 07:33
Before I upgrade to the Headlight Booster Harness on my truck I want to find a good place to buy 100 watt(or greater) high beams and 70 watt (or greater) low beams.

Any one who knows of a place to order these please let me know.

Tsimpler@direcpc.com

THANKS

Trent

motovet
03-05-2004, 12:41
Trent,I'll e-mail ya the info later when I find it. Been looking for these bulbs for some time now. There are a few out there.

DmaxMaverick
03-05-2004, 14:23
((appropriate thread icon))

I've had a booster (JK's) for a couple years now on my '01 HD. I've gone the route of the high watt bulbs a couple times (lot of night driving) and am not impressed at all with performance of any of them. The brightness was not remarkable compared with OEM bulbs once the harness was installed. I think the harness did more than the bulbs themselves did. The cost and shorter life of the high watt bulbs, and having to change them twice as often, was not worth the minimal gain. They are also more demanding on the electrical system.

I experimented with different tempurature (color) bulbs and found that better vision is in the color, not the wattage. I currently run Sylvania Silverstars, which, are only one or two watts above OEM. The vision and range is as good, or better, than the 70/100 bulbs. They are reasonably priced and can be had at any chain parts house, and most locals. Since switching to the Silverstars, most other vehicles appear to be throwing "yellow" light. They take some getting used to, but well worth it.

Search the forum for more details. There were several threads that were quite extensive.

Cheers

ACCRASH
03-06-2004, 05:47
Diesel Services Group (http://www.dieselservices.com)

Just this week, I received my 70 watt replacements from these guys. They also have the 100 watt high beam replacements. They are the Philips Rally Bulbs that JK used to carry. I spoke to them on the phone and was told they received a shipment of about 1200 of these bulbs.

I really like the higher wattage bulbs but, I have never tried the Silverstars either. I plan on trying them in my wifes truck as soon as one needs to be replaced.

Chuck

jbplock
03-06-2004, 05:51
More good Info on lighting at http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html

smile.gif

motovet
03-06-2004, 14:50
Well no need for e-mail now, that's where I got mine. A while back they said they would'nt sell the bulbs by themselves. Last week however they agreed to sell me a few. I think the high watt bulbs made a huge difference, but have'nt tried the silverstars or similar. In my mind more watts = more light. All I know is I don't want to go back to just OK now.

DmaxMaverick
03-06-2004, 18:50
motovet

In my mind more watts = more light Compare old style sealed beams with halogens of the same wattage. The same difference applies with other "gasses" or technologies.

I had two sets of the 70/100 watt bulbs. They are brighter than OEM, but vision was not any better than my current setup. I also tried the "cool blues". They are blue, but not as good as the OEM setup. A real waste of money, unless you are after the "cool" label.

Not trying to sell anything here. Just offering some "enlightenment".

Cheers

drgracr
03-07-2004, 13:03
I installed the Sylvania Silverstar low beam bulbs and love them. By far the best bulb I've tried todate and do not have a booster harness.
I also find that when the fog lamps are turned on, they make little to no difference in lighting the road infront

BassinRVer
03-09-2004, 11:37
I have tried the silverstar and the JK bulbs are better.

motovet
03-09-2004, 22:09
Well I got my box o mega watt bulbs the other day. When they run out maybe I'll try something else. Till then I am happy.

DMAXED
03-16-2004, 15:27
I had the phillips rally 70/100 bulbs, last night one low beam went out I picked up the sylvania silverstar today replaced one to compair to the rally the silverstar seems to be brighter I hope they last longer.