PDA

View Full Version : Alumistinger

Sandaholic
09-30-2003, 16:28
Im looking a for a Class IV ball mount for my factory hitch. It seems 90% of the market is class III which is rated at 5000#. I am looking for something greater then 7000#. I came across two options, a forged ball mount ratted at 10,000# and a solid aluminum hitch called the Alumistinger ratted at 14,000#. The price of the two are very close. Basically it comes down to aluminum vs. forged steel. Any opinions
would be great.

ski
09-30-2003, 18:27
I have always had good luck with blue ox products, the link below shows some of their products rated at 10K. they offer a whole assortment of products. just a sample, no idea about the dealer the page belongs to.

www.aemfg.com/Accessories/droprcvrs.html (http://www.aemfg.com/Accessories/droprcvrs.html)

Marc

VWLURE
09-30-2003, 21:07
Check out Freidel stuff too.

Sandaholic
10-01-2003, 11:58
From a metal stand point, Which is better suited for a high stress part, such as a ball mount for a hitch. Will alluminum get brittle over time? Will it bend easy?

What about forged? Will it crack easy?

chuntag95
10-01-2003, 15:36
Sandaholic,
We don't have enough information to answer your question. The specific aluminum alloy, steel, the heat treatments, etc. are all factors. I would think the solid Aluminum would be fine. It should not get brittle over time. The bend strength relates to all of the others, but I would guess it will be fine.

Kennedy
10-01-2003, 18:05
The factory hitch won't carry that much anyhow. Check the ratings, and I'm sure that you'll find that the rating doubles if you go to a weight distributing type....