PDA

View Full Version : Towing Mirrors - Summary and Sources

BigLakeDMAX
02-20-2003, 19:32
Here's a post I created for rv.net's forum - got lots of good feedback over there so thought I'd share it here. I've included the sources for the best prices I've found for the different mirrors. I have no relationship with any of these vendors and have not personally purchased from them. So, I'm not recommending any one vendor, just passing along some info that may save you some bucks.

I've been researching towing mirrors and reading threads on three different forums in an attempt to make a decision. I thought I'd post a summary of what I've come up with so far in case anyone else is in my position but doesn't have the time to do all the searching and reading. And, if I'm incorrect in any of my info, please join in to provide the best info to our fellow TDP members.

This list is not inclusive and I've focused mainly on mirrors for full-size pickups and SUV's. Not every mirror is available for every make and model of truck. Refer to the manufacturers' websites for additional information.

1. Schefenacker TTT-mirror (telescopic travel tow mirror) MSRP $400 - $550. The most expensive replacement mirror I've found. Large, angular style. The main glass is7.25

NoMo
02-20-2003, 22:34
Excellent summary.

Thanks!

EXPSD
02-21-2003, 07:25
Great summary, your time and effort is appreciated:
Would it be possible for you to post it on the TL Openroad forum for others to benefit? An additional very important point: Its seems the TTT mirrors, from many comments I have read, are the most effective for pulling wide body trailers.
Thanks again!

NoMo
02-21-2003, 11:23
Or better yet...
Post a link at TL pointing back to here. Might help more truck owners find this site. smile.gif

BigLakeDMAX
02-21-2003, 13:51
Rv.net forum and TL Forum are one and the same. This post is under the Towing Vehicles category there. I continually post links to TDP over there 'cuz this forum is the best source of info on our trucks. I'll add another one to the original post over there - great idea! Lots of folks over there have added additional info as well - www.rv.net/forum

Don

[ 02-21-2003: Message edited by: BigLakeDMAX ]</p>

mdrag
02-21-2003, 14:42
BigLakeDMAX,

Excellent information, thanks for all the leg work.

What did you decide to buy?

NoMo
02-21-2003, 14:44
Good point! For some reason, I was thinking about IRV2... oops. redface.gif

EXPSD
02-21-2003, 15:10
My TTT mirrors arrived today, I am impressed.

glamisboy
02-22-2003, 10:33
Ok, who's got the TTT's ??? I thought I was going to get the Lucerix, but I now have an option. My trailer is 102" wide so the x'tra 3" that the TTT's telescope may be what I need.

I'm not sure about the looks on the web page. Do they look any better/worse in real life ?? How does the all black look ??

Let me know guys (& or gals). My tax refund $$ is burning a hole in my pocket :rolleyes:

smile.gif GOD BLESS AMERICA smile.gif

[ 02-22-2003: Message edited by: glamisboy ]</p>

BigLakeDMAX
02-22-2003, 11:40
mdrag,

I'm going with the Schefenacker mirror. I like the extra wide ability they offer, the integral spotter glass, and the marker lights and turn signal options. I'll keep my factory mirrors in case I need to put them back on in the winter - I'm a little concerned about hitting the ttt's on my garage door frame. I think I'll order them this week, if WJ's has any left in stock smile.gif

Take Care,

Don

glamisboy
02-22-2003, 12:14
Just got off the phone with WJ's, they got'em. What a sweet deal it is, $425.- for the fully loaded ones, black of course.

Gonna order mine right away.

BigLakeDMAX
02-22-2003, 12:27
I just loaded the dimensions for the Schefenacker TTT-Mirrors as provided by the company into my photo album - just click the My Photos link in my signature.

Don

Dick
02-25-2003, 17:39
Has anyone used these mirrors when towing a wide FW (102"). I'd like some more feedback before ordering.

earniem
02-25-2003, 21:17
I put a set of Lucrix X-Mount mirrors on my 1996 dually. They looked good but did not extend out far enough to see down the right side of an 8' wide trailer. I could not see well enough to check the steps on the trailer. In my appinion they are no better than OEM Mirrors. They need to go out 5 1/2" at least. I was greatly disappointed.

mdrag
02-25-2003, 22:01
Has anyone measured how far out from the truck the TTT mirrors stick out normal/extended? I looked at BigLakeDMAX's pics and the dimensions are listed as 17.5"/22"...but these measurements seem to be of the mirror itself. When mounted, the mirror will angle back, and the actual extension out from the truck will be less than 4.5"...then again, the measurements may have taken that into account.

BTW BigLakeDMAX - your link doesn't quite work. The link takes you to PictureTrail...I tried a search for BigLakeDMAX to find your album.

TG
02-25-2003, 22:39
mdrag,

Received my ttt (Schefenackers) yesterday, will probably install on Saturday. After reading your post, I measured my standard factory mirrors, and the passenger mirror appears to extend out from the vehicle about 12 1/2 to 13" measured perpendicularly FROM THE POINTY (that's a technical term) TOP OF THE MOUNTING BRACKET. That will give you a reference point. That is not mirror length, but actual perpendicular distance from the bracket.

I also looked at my Schefenackers (not yet mounted), and it appears that that same measurement would be about 18". That is without any extension on the mirror, as far as I can tell.

The mirrors appear to be very high quality.

Please let me know if you need additional info.

TG :cool:

Steve Cornell
02-26-2003, 09:11
TG,

Is the wiring "plug & play" for the 03 trucks??

I thought I recalled seeing something about a wiring adapter for the 03 trucks to use the TTT mirrors??

I have the heated \ power folding \ turn signal mirrors on my truck and plan on ordering the TTTs.

Thanks

glamisboy
02-26-2003, 10:24
Ordered mine on monday !!! Had to have the fully loaded ones, with lights & all. WJ's had a smok'n deal ($425-), could not let that one go by (and they don't double charge for shipping either).

Since I've never seen the mirrors in real life I opted to not get the chrome backing. I'm not real excited about the way the chrome ones look on their website.

Hope I'm not disappointed. I've been stalling around on buying Lucerix mirror's for the last year, now Stylin raised their prices on 'em. Hope the procrastanation pays off this time.

3-Fan
02-26-2003, 11:06
Steve Cornell,

On the installation instructions from TTT, it says 1 set of multiplex harnesses sold seperately for the 2003's. See step 20 also.

Dick
02-28-2003, 18:13
Has anybody ordered th the interchangable cover in Lt Pewter. If you have how harde are they to install?
Thanks.........

Redhawk
03-01-2003, 15:09
Would the vertical view on the Schefenacker mirrors allow me to see the rear wheel of my truck when backing? They look kinda small in that regard.

Ram
03-01-2003, 21:58
I use the spotting mirrors on my Schefenackers to back up. They're convex (converse, inverse, whaterver?). It allows me to see the rear tires quite well when backing up. I don't see my wheels with the main mirror.

TG
03-01-2003, 22:34
Steve Cornell,

In response to your question on "plug & play"...

I installed my Schafenackers today with my 12 year old son as my assistant. Took us about 3 1/2 hours. You will need to purchase the wiring harness which is sold separately from the mirrors. The stock mirrors have a long harness, and the TTT comes with a short. So the additional harness you buy is needed to plug into the armrest controls. In addition, there is a yellow wire extending from the mirror, and that has to be wired into the running lights on the truck (ttt instructions #21 on deals with this wiring). So, not really plug and play, but not too bad.

One thing I would add is if you have electric seats, slide them back before starting because you will have to disconnect the batteries and will not have any power. ttt notes the one door electrical connector that is tricky, just follow their instructions to disconnect it.

I happen to have a flexible electricians fish tape lead (sort of a coiled spring), and that worked out very well for fishing the wire through the door harness. Someone had recommended disconnecting the door side grommet from the inside of the vehicle (ttt step 25), and I would also recommend that.

When you remove the door panel (step 11) it really helps to have an assistant to hold the panel while you disconnect the wires.

Let me know if you have any questions I can help you with.

The mirrors are terrific - high quality, don't vibrate, and the lights look great!!!

TG :D :D :D

Steve Cornell
03-02-2003, 08:36
TG,

Thanks for the reply, I'm ordering the mirrors today!
I have to get my B&W hitch installed and the mirrors on in the next 2 weeks as I'm heading to Daytona with the trailer smile.gif

If I have any questions once they arrive I'll let ya know.

I had the Lucerix mirrors on my 01 and thought they worked ok but the view down the right side of the trailer could have been better.

Thanks again!!

glamisboy
03-03-2003, 22:32
smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif Got 'em today !!!!!! Woooo-Hoooo

I bolted 'em on, no time to wire lights will do later in the week. I love 'em no more blindspots !!!!! Have not hooked up to 102" 5er yet. Going camping next week, will advise when I return.

The website does not do justice for these beauties !! I think I will order the chrome back's at a later date. Did I mention they are awesome ?????
:D :D :D :D

VaDmax2003
03-04-2003, 10:12
In 2000 I had Powervision mirrors installed on my 96 suburban before pulling my travel trailer to Alaska and they were great. The flat passenger mirrors are great especially when backing or trying to confirm the clearance of the right side of the trialer in tight spaces as the view is not distorted. I added small oval mirrors that attach to the top of the Powervision mirror for wide angle viewing. I ordered my 2003 3500HD just after Chevrolet made them a factory option and am glad that I did not have to move the old ones to the new truck, though the Powervision folks said they had an adapter kit that would have made the transfer feasable. Of course they would not have had the heating or turn signal option. In 20,000 miles of trailer towing I have been very pleased with them.