PDA

View Full Version : valve cover oil leak / turbo

george_01
11-16-2004, 04:14
The oil leak at the valve cover on the passenger side is getting worse. It looks like you have to remove the turbo to get to it? Is there any tricks or trade secrets to make the job easier? Is there a way to get to the boyyom bolts of the valve cover to tighten with out taking off turbo? Thanks , George

markrinker
11-16-2004, 05:26
If you have a leak, its unlikely that simply tightening the bolts will solve it. The covers are sealed in place with no gaskets, so leaks usually mean a problem with the bead of sealant.

Best bet will be to remove the turbo and reseal the cover properly. Since you already have the turbo off, you might consider injector and/or glow plug replacement, if either is overdue.

tom.mcinerney
11-16-2004, 20:28
i found necessary to R&R intake and lossen FI lines at FIP to remove, clean surfaces on valve cover, and reseal. Might check crankcase depression/blowby beforehand, CDR may be need replacement.

george_01
11-17-2004, 09:27
Tom Mac, Not sure what you mean " Might check crankcase depression/blowby beforehand, CDR may be need replacement"? Please explain? Thanks George

ees
11-17-2004, 16:50
Sadly if you have to reseal the valve covers you will have to remove the turbo and the fuel lines. T remove the fuel lines you have to remove the intake. It is not hard work just time consuming.

I did it a month or so ago. Sadly I just reduced the leak instead of eliminating it. I don't have the heart right now to do it again so I think I will live with the small leak for now.

Hye
11-17-2004, 19:22
To keep the sealant from being smeared all over the place while you get the cover screws started, place some alignment pins in the valve cover screw holes . I cut the hex heads off some old cover screws and slotted the cut ends so they could be removed with a screwdriver and replaced with the real thing after the rest of the cover screws were in place. Try your set-up without the selant first. If everything lines up and goes together smoothely, then put a bead of sealant on the cover and finish the job. Be sure that both surfaces are clean. After scraping off the old sealant, I used acetone on a clean cloth to get all the oil off the covers and heads.