PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Computer To Serve as DVD

Rick L
05-02-2004, 09:17
Hello All;

It feels good to post on this board. I just got my 2004 Silverado LT with the D(LLY)/A and I'm smiling ear to ear.

The only option I didn't get was the Rear Entertainment System. The kids spend enough time looking at the TV I figured they could enjoy some good music and look out the window while we traveled. I was WRONG! Momma informed me the kids are bummed that they can't watch DVD's. :rolleyes: :confused:

I run an online business and need to process orders while we are away, so a laptop must travel with us. I figured the kids can watch DVD's on the laptop and it could double as a NAV system and thus kill two birds with one stone.

I have searched the web to death and I have found all the necessary components to make this thing work. I think! I am planning on using a Soundgate AUXGM2 interface to go into the head unit. I want the kids to be able to select the unit from the rear audio controls and the wife and I not lose XM or CD capabilities.

Has anyone else attempted this? Or have another route to get the signal into the factory sound system without losing any functions up front? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

DmaxMaverick
05-02-2004, 17:34
How many kids?

Plumbing the system into your existing truck audio may not be the best (practical/economical) way to go. Your notebook has audio outputs. Drop by Radio Shack and pick up a (or two, etc) 1/8" stereo Y and a pair (or however many you need) of headphones (walkman type). The notebook has enough output wattage to support several headphones. The headphones with the individual volume controls would eliminate another argument.

For less than $20, you can easily get 3 or 4 kids into the movie, and not have the noise interupting your oldies (or whatever).

Simplicity is its own reward.

DMAXED
05-02-2004, 18:35
Rick

I have used my laptop for dvd's and it worked great like DmaxMaverick said the head sets are your best bet. I ran the cassette from a diskman to the tape deck it worked well but took over the hole system. I also made a laptop table that fits between the front seats and the back seat armrest so the kids can change dvd's with out my help.

nopower65
05-03-2004, 04:10
Been there, done that. The Y cable for the headphones won't work-- you won't be able to hear going down the road.

Don't hard wire to your head unit-- too inflexible. Go to Best Buy or Circuit City and get an RF modulator that plugs in to the headphone jack on the laptop. This lets the truck's stereo handle the audio. Only downside is EVERYONE in the truck is listening to the DVD. My only unsolved problem is where to put the lap top where it won't fly around. We tried the armrest console, but it slides off of there and puts the laptop at risk when braking. Need a better solution for that. These in car DVD systems are way too expensive-- $700-1200 for little 7" screens-- with laptops for the same moeny with 14 inch screen plus a computer to boot.

Good luck

a5150nut
05-03-2004, 20:54
Velcro straps or patches to stick the puter down. :eek:

Rick L
05-04-2004, 17:08
Well;

The project is underway.

I have ordered a stereo interface that will plug into the back of the factory head unit. This will give me an AUX input into the factory head. The info says the head will retain all functions, so I will have an AUX input that will function like the rear seat DVD would.

To mount the laptop I am going to use a RAM Mobile Computer Mount, similar to those used in police vehicles. The mount will allow the laptop to be securely mounted on top of the console and out of the airbag path in the event of a deployment. :eek:

I am also going to add a GPS antenna on the dash and run it's cable while I have the head out for the interface. Inside the console a 12V power supply will finish the install.

When the system is going to be used it will be a simple task to install the mount (one thumb screw) and plug in the laptop lines. When not in use the whole system can be removed.

If anyone is interested in seeing this come together, let me know and I'll post some pics of the project.

Diesel Dad
05-05-2004, 04:10
Hi,
What RAM Mount are you using ? Can you post the part numbers ?

Thanks.

Rick L
05-05-2004, 13:07
Hopefully this works.

Mobile-X (http://www.mobilecx.com/page_results.php?type=normalform&field=ram.category=&string=01004001) Here's the link to the page. I am using item #4. The horizontal mount. When the computer is out of the truck, the mount will be able to come out as well. The only item that will remain will be the base plate with the little post sticking up.

I haven't received it yet, when I do, I'll let you know if it beefy enough for the job.

I am waiting for the stereo interface to come in first to see if it is going to do what I think it will. Until that is in and working, I won't spend anything else on the project. No sense spendoing money for something that won't work.

Diesel Dad
05-05-2004, 19:56
Thanks Rick. How will you attach to console lid ? Just drill through ?

Also, I used the GMAUX9 box to connect my SkyFi XM Satellite Radio. Apart from a kind of wimpy switch, it's a good solution. Be aware that you do need to leave a tape in the deck all the time though.

Rick L
05-05-2004, 20:06
I am planning on attaching the mount to the lid by drilling through. I may put a piece of aluminum on the underside to help spread weight out a bit. That's a small footprint to hold a big laptop and mount, plus I'm sure the kids will be bangin' on it, so it will need some support.

As far as the interface...I'm patiently waiting. I ordered a Soundgate GMAUX2, according to that, I do NOT need a slave unit to be running. If I do, I lose either XM or the CD player. That is not an option I want. If the kid's are watching a DVD and using the RSA and we're stuck with only AM/FM I'll be looking for another interface quick. That's why I;m waiting for it to come before I order everything else. I should know in a day or so. I'll keep you posted.

Fire Ball
05-28-2004, 08:53
Rick L. What

Rick L
05-31-2004, 13:47
Hello;

Sorry for not posting a progress report. I have abandoned the project, for now, anyway.

I got the mount which was way cool! When I did a test mount with it, the laptop was WAY too big to be comfortable between the seats. We have a Dell 9100 Inspiron laptop and the screen is huge. The computer is almost 15" wide.

The idea will work, but on a midsize laptop, rather than a desktop replacement sized computer.

The input device that looks like it will fit the bill is a Peripheral PXGM24 (http://www.peripheral-aamp.com/2002/2004_innovations.asp) . Click on it to check it out. When I do this project, this will be the input device I use.

After finding the laptop to be too bigt to use, I am looking a (Cheap)headrest video system that I can upgrade later if I decide to get nuts. tongue.gif

Rick L
05-31-2004, 13:54
BY THE WAY.......

USE EXTERME CAUTION WHEN ACCESSING AREAS BEHIND THE DASH IN THIS VEHICLE.

While I was testing different ideas for this upgrade, I has a JL Audio Stealthbox installed in the console. During the install, major modifications had to be done to the internal structure of the console. The installer mounted the Stealthbox about 1 inch too far forward, blocking the damper door on the heat/AC system. The system was so intent on closing and opening the door, it broke the shaft inside the Heat/AC Control Box. The "minor" broken shaft resulted in over $900 in non-warranty repairs when the complete dashboard had to be removed from the truck to repair the shaft and heat control box.

If you decide to get a Stealthbox, be sure to tell your installer about the clearence problem. The dash in our trucks is NOT exaclty like the ones in the JL Audio instructions and modifications need to be made or major damage WILL result.

I got REALLY lucky, as the stereo shop is TOP shelf and covered the repairs when they determined they made the mistake. Just a FYI for your folks considering a Stealthbox.

Mark Bajus
06-01-2004, 15:28
after reading this thread with great interest, I decided to set up our laptop on the back seat of the extended cab. I liked the laptop idea since I have one already, and felt the overhead one would be too close to my head.

The laptop sits on a VERY low budget tray, 2x4's and plywood (hey, budget is tight!!). Tray has 4 legs, 2 long legs sit on the floor 2 short legs sit on the seat. Laptop is held down at the back with a wire that runs up the side and over the laptop at the hinge and back down the other side. Held at the front with a bolted on toggle that rotates horozontally to hold the front of the laptop down. Definitely not going anywhere. Powered by a small cigarette lighter style DC/AC invertor from a marine store. Added a GOOD pair of headphones and a GOOD splitter, and its definitely plenty loud enough.

It worked brilliantly (until the #$^*^#* kids bent the DVD tray!!). Modification #1 is to add a solid extension under the DVD tray so it cant be bumped when the tray is open.

Kids love it, with the good headphones I dont have to listen to their shows while driving, and best yet the computer comes out in about 15 seconds, and then we use it in the trailer (with headphones, the wife and I can watch what we want when the kids go to bed without worrying about being too noisy or broadcasting "inappropraite content" to our 6 and 7 year old.)

DMAXED
06-02-2004, 18:48
I just took some photos of my laptop holder that I made out of finish grade plywood doesn't get much cheeper than that . It works great I made the plywood 1" bigger then the opening between the seats to hold it in place. you can see the photos in my pics.

mdrag
06-05-2004, 08:32
I used a custom bracket from MITO CORPORATION (http://www.mitocorp.com/panasonic_dvd_vehicle_specificat.htm) to mount an 8" portable Toshiba DVD player at the rear of the OEM CONSOLE (http://community.webshots.com/album/59802499ATZLGB). The Mito Corp bracket is expensive @ $100, but it is a very well made, heavy duty bracket. The bracket is removable, and when in place it does NOT interfere with opening/closing the center console. I do not believe that this bracket would support a large laptop though...

I considered a built-in DVD system (overhead or headrest mounted) and laptop DVD, but decided on a separate portable DVD. Since laptops are now smaller and less expensive, I would look more carefully at a laptop solution if I was installing a DVD today.

If interested, look through the CENTER CONSOLE MODS ALBUM (http://community.webshots.com/album/59802499ATZLGB) for pics of the install. I installed a hidden 400W power inverter and (2) channel wireless headphone system inside the console, with (2) AC outlets and RCA A/V jacks. I have (3) headsets, and more can be added if needed.

The wireless headphone system is independent of the OEM sound system. The passengers can use the portable DVD or game system on one headphone channel, and hook up a CD/MP3/other audio source to the other headphone channel - while those without headphones can listen to the OEM audio system.

jbplock
06-06-2004, 02:02
Mdrag,

Nice job!!! http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif

Good thing my kids don't read this forum or they would be asking "Daddy, how come we don't have one of those?" :D