PDA

View Full Version : 2002GMC Wiring Question

johns
01-03-2003, 12:38
Hopefully someone out there can answer or direct me to where I can find an answer.

When I ordered my truck I ordered the towing mirrors. Did not realize at the time that they were manual adjusment. I had ordered the Lucerix mirrors and had them in my basement before I even got the truck. Of course I ordered the electronic mirrors. When I installed the mirrors, the wiring for the mirros was in the passenger side door so I plugged it in. However, the wiring in not in the driver side door. I have the armrest panel and the adjusting switches. So here is the question.

Does anyone know how far the factory wiring harness goes that includes the mirror wiring to the driver door? (For cost reasons I can't imagine that they would have two totally different wiring harnesses. I thought maybe it goes into the door and then a separate wire harness would plug in door side of the harness.) I had one dealer tell me I would have to order the entire wiring harness from under the dash and it would cost about a grand. I'm still holding out hope that I can wireup the driver side mirror.

[ 01-03-2003: Message edited by: johns ]</p>

AKDmax
01-03-2003, 12:58
This post may help you out:
http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=002421&p=

or this one:
http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=003291

Try search if that's not what your looking for.

cowboywildbill
01-03-2003, 21:52
I have an SLT 2002,I also had the manual tow mirrors as an option, that replaced the non- extendable power mirrors. I had the wiring in both doors, but no switch.I bought a factory switch cut my armrest out and glued the switch in, it looks factory, but I had added a wood dash kit before on the truck and on the armrest it had the space already blank & cut out for the mirror switch, so I used it as a template so it made it easy.Because I knew just where to cut the plastic out from the armrest. If you have the heated mirrors and you don't have a rear window defogger switch on the lower right side (looks like the little push button A/C swith and inside outside air switch,in your center console where the Heat A/C Temp & Fan speed controls are on the dash, you will have to order a console from GM. about $130.00 retail from a Dealer.You can't buy just the little push button switch. This rear window defogger switch is what controls and heats the mirrors, and it has a built in timer also.It just plugs in where the other console was.Takes about five miutes.You have to remove the trim around the whole dash & speedometer cluster and radio. It just pulls off and snaps back on. I would take a look down in your driver side door a little further if you can't find a harness at the top. I know you will have to pull the door panel to look because it is seperate on the 02 from the little mirror panel. On my truck all of the wiring was there for everything, both wire harness with plugs behind the mirror pannels where the mirrors bolt up. It is possible if you don't have a harness to the drivers door, you may be able to run a hot wire to the arm rest to the mirror adjustment switch and get a schematic and wire it up from the switch up to the mirrors. I hope you have all of the wiring already there! It sounds like if it is in the passenger door and you have a switch,the wires to the mirror should be in the drivers side also. Unless your dealer took off the power mirrors and added the tow mirrors at his shop, maybe they robbed the wires on one side. I think it depends on the options package that the truck came with whether or not it has the all of the wires. But if you have the switch and it is plugged in you should have everything I hope this helps Let us know what you find out. The dealer told me that the wires probably wouldn't be there on my truck either, and that the heat funtion pobably wouldn,t work either, even though I told them the wires were in the doors. They were wrong. And boy am I glad they were. Did your pasenger side mirror work with the switch? You may check the fuses also, it may not have one in the spot for the mirrors.Good Luck.

[ 01-03-2003: Message edited by: Cowboy Wild Bill ]</p>