PDA

View Full Version : Clamp Style pyro PROBE

andrewfessler
10-15-2003, 06:57
I have my old pyrometer gauge on my 6.5 that I am thinking of moving to my new duramax, however the probe is the clamp on style that I got from JK.

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/detail.cfm?ID=74

Has anyone successfully used this problem on the duramax and got good results. What location ended up being the best installtion point for it so as to get a decent reading level. I know I could put it on further down the exhust, but I dont know how much of a temperature difference there would be. If I knew it was 100-200 degrees, I could just make a mental note when watching the gauge.

I also have the 15lb boost gauge on the 6.5, my understanding is that gauge wont work on the duramax as its boost can run up to 22 lbs, correct?

Kennedy
10-17-2003, 13:42
The irregular shape of the manifold may make it difficult to draw the probe in securely. The Dmax is best suited for the thread in style.

From there, you likely have the VW series which is scaled for post turbo. It will work fine, but the color banding will be incorrect. The 15 psi gauge will likely be ruined with the over pressure of the Dmax.

Might not be a bad idea to start fresh and leave the existingf gauge set in the 6.5...

20050528|8|000731|000000|205.188.117.71
10-24-2003, 14:33
The clamp style pyrometer can be installed on the down pipe. This is a post-turbo installation, so the temperatures are an average of 300 degrees cooler than the readings in the exhaust manifolds, pre-turbo.

The manifold installation is quicker responding and more accurate, but the post turbo setup is fine. Keep the temps below 1000 degrees and you will be good.

Mark

andrewfessler
10-27-2003, 08:58
OK, I guess i'll just spend the extra $$$ and go all new :( BLECH!