PDA

View Full Version : plastic for gauge mounting

XLR8 2 DMAX
02-25-2003, 20:29
Does anybody know of a good place or website to purchase plastic for making filler plate for mounting gauges. Thanks

mdrag
02-25-2003, 20:48
XLR8 DMAX,

I used plexiglass, cut to fit and then painted with crinkle finish paint. Don't forget to scuff the plastic first before painting. Check Home Depot, Lowes, hardware store, or craft store.

I've found that US Plastics has about anything plastic that you may need - I've used them for many years and they are a good company:

www.usplastic.com/catalog/default.asp

Check the links in my sig for pics of my SPA DG-111 boost.EGT gauge in the dash cubby. Good luck.

Transferring to the Accessories forum.

XLR8 2 DMAX
02-25-2003, 20:50
Mdrag,
Thanks for the info. Your install looks great!

Diesel Freak
02-25-2003, 22:51
Mdrag, that's exactly what I would like to do with my dash! Two questions, how did you mount the plastic piece to the dashboard itself, and where did you get that angle ring?

Thanks!

mdrag
02-26-2003, 01:17
Diesel Freak,

I bought the angle ring from:

www.summitracing.com

Search for part# ATM-2234 - about $7 + S/H for two angle rings.

The original cubby is used with the back cut off for wire access and entry. Mounting goes like this (gauge face to inside cubby): SPA gauge, angle ring, Plexiglas panel, single gauge metal mounting bracket. The single gauge metal mounting bracket is bolted to the top inside of the cubby to hold the gauge/Plexiglas panel assembly to the cubby. Filing/grinding of the metal single gauge mount to fit inside the cubby is necessary but it is completely hidden, so appearance is not a concern. The cubby then snaps back in normally - easy access if the need arises to work on the gauge/wiring, and it can be returned to stock by purchasing a new cubby.

FisHn2DMax
02-26-2003, 01:47
XLR8,

In your neck of the woods, check with Tap Plastics. I know they have a few stores in or around your area. Others here including myself bought our guage plastic from them at a very reasonable price. They have a great selection of materials and will cut to size.

Good Luck, smile.gif