PDA

View Full Version : New CAD, blinking 4WD light - could use advise

MTTwister
11-08-2005, 10:59
I had installed the CAD upgrade this summer. Today I needed 4wd to get up the hill. Pushed the button before rolling, and basically, every thing felt fine- traction wise. Since the 4wd light is hidden behind the steering wheel, I didn't notice it was still blinking until I was about 1/2 way here.

When I got in the parking lot, I cranked the wheel full right ( almost) to see if I could feel any binding of the CV joints, and the indicator light when solid - no blinkng.

I'm guessing the internal sensor that triggers that indicator light t'ain't quite right.

Anything in particular I could look for?
( current resolution - to be tested - will be to crank the wheel over and see if that does the "trick") Thanks.

[ 11-28-2005, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: MTTwister ]

More Power
11-08-2005, 13:12
The light will blink till both the front differential and the transfer case sensors indicate they are in-fact engaged in 4WD. In your situation, it may have taken either the front diff or the txfer case a little while to fully engage. You may not have a problem. Cold weather could delay engagement due to the more viscous lubes.

Jim

MTTwister
11-08-2005, 13:26
Thanks Jim- let's hope it's not cold weather related, it was a balmy +20

MTTwister
11-14-2005, 08:17
Well, another 4wd morning - I was rolling up to an intersection - noticed that the guy ahead was having problems - so I hit the 4WD button. Heard the familiar 'thunk' almost immediately, but the 4wd light still kept blinking. I believe that there were 2 occassions when the light when solid - one was a activation of the ABS, then it went back to blink.. another was a slow hill climb when it was solid during the turn and part way up the incline, but then went back to blink mode near the top. Since there was traffic I didn't want to "stress test' to see if I really had 4wd, but I think the rear would have been sliding around more if it werent' engaged.

Oh - Amsoil products in the transmission, transfer case, and front / rear diff's.

SO - What the Hay? Anything I can be looking for? Thanks all / Tom W

Edit : Afternoon update - another trip down and up the hill. Seems to engage when the 4wd button is pressed. Blink will go "steady" when it's decelerating and slightly after resuming acceleration, then goes back to blink mode. 4wd is engaged the entire time.

Since it backs out of 4wd into 2wd, I don't think I spliced the wrong wire underneath. Is this just coinci-dink?

[ 11-14-2005, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: MTTwister ]

MTTwister
11-19-2005, 09:18
BTTT - I could use a little more input, any ideas?
Thanks.

[ 11-28-2005, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: MTTwister ]

MTTwister
11-28-2005, 11:45
A real BTTT -
EDIT 11-28 I could use a lot more input - Is this Hurting anything. The 4wd light will go to Blink mode even on the ice/snow covered roads today. No apparant rhyme or reason.

Thanks.

rlvelin
11-29-2005, 09:18
I can't really help but thought I'd move this back to the top since driving in Butte presently requires 4wd and is not likely to get better until next april.

The only suggestion I have is to check the swith that illuminates the 4wd light (if it is at the CAD), it seems like it may be just at the point of on/off. I say this because when there is no real load on the CAD you get blink and when CAD is under a larger load it is steady on. This is just a SWAG since I don't have any experience with this CAD system other than standing on it after my engine was out.

Ryan

MTTwister
11-29-2005, 19:46
Gm dealer thinks it's probably a bad connection - need to re-check the connector ( had to splice the old plug on the new harness) or a bad ground ( that would also be through teh connector plug.) Now looking for a 'warm' day to lay in the "gutter" and check my connection. Hopefully this isn't making the CAD cycle!