PDA

View Full Version : 45 Gal. Transfer Flow Tank

D-Maxtim
02-27-2003, 10:06
Anyone do a 45 Gal. Transfer Flow tank change out on a 2500HD with short bed? If so, any problems or hang ups?

bobojay
02-27-2003, 11:21
A friend of mine and me did ours. It's a piece of cake. Just read the instructions carefully and have a floor jack and stands ready. Also, you need to have someone help you when you go to raise the new tank.
And don't be afraid to call Transfer Flow for help if need be.........Good Luck, you'll like it!

ChevysRus
02-27-2003, 18:36
I've had mine in for about a year and a half! Love it, I get about 725 miles on the tank and there is more left, I just can't push it any further along after watching the 'Low Fuel" light stay on for 60 or 70 miles. One day I will run it dry to see how much I really have in there.

Most I have put is is 41 gallons. Be sure and get the fast flow neck at the same time. Well worth the extra few bucks and you have to disconnect the OEM anyway so what the Hay!

Only real issue I have with it (annoying only) is the fuel gauge always reads a little higher if I park on an incline (nose up). If I park and have a 1/4 tank, when I go out to leave in the morning, the gauge reads 1/2 for about 10-15 minutes after I am back on level ground. I don't know why.

It's only an issue if you forget what you had in there last and head out on what you think was a low tank and then 10 minutes later the low fuel light comes on and you are in the middle of nowhere. I just keep it fuill so it's a non issue really.

You will enjoy the non stop driving 700+ miles if your kidneys can hold out that long. LOL

Duramaxerado
02-27-2003, 23:30
Where can I find some info on this product?

Sounds interesting.. I kinda wished i could have got the 34 gallon tank on my cc sb...

What is the total cost?

thanks

RichBailey
02-27-2003, 23:35
I love this 45 gallon tank. Drive 600 miles in town and 750 on the freeway. Like Chevysrus, most I have ever put in it is 40 gallons because "low fuel" light is disconcerting. Tank is very well made. Also had large fuel filler neck installed at same time. Total out the door was $1000 as I remember.

ChevysRus
02-28-2003, 22:52
Yep about $1000 installed at the Transfer Flow factory and it comes with a full tank of fuel too! (they have to fill it to calibrate it).

If you order the tank and install it yourself I think it's about $850.

Go to WWW.transferflow.com

ChevysRus
02-28-2003, 22:56
Hey there Rich, some day we have to hook up! I pass throught Clayton twice a day on my way into Walnut Creek! Have seen a lot of Pewter DMAX's going through Clayton, one of them must have been you! The other one was me! ha ha ha :D

MaxDiesel
03-01-2003, 00:06
Does anyone know if the sender unit on the DIC can be changed to know that the tank is a 45 gallon tank?

Also, I assume that even if the DIC thinks it is a 26 gallon tank instead of a 45 the fuel gauage will be acurate (as best it can it).

Jim

RichBailey
03-01-2003, 10:06
Chevysrus,
I was told by the owner of Lehmers GMC, who is a good Rotarian friend of mine, that all trucks are painted pewter at the factory. They repaint them whatever color you want at the dealer. ;)

Give me a call whenever you want. 672-6578 cell

Jack's Dmax
03-02-2003, 00:01
I had the OEM 26 gallon replaced with a 45 gallon TFI tank. The installation took place at their plant in Chico,CA. I asked if they could reprogram the DIC and they said no.

The quality control standards in the construction and installation of their tanks is first class. Ask for a tour of their plant and you will see what I mean. I highly recomend having their factory install the tank. Don't forget to include the high volume filler. Getting fuel at truck stops now is very easy and significally faster using their high volume pumps. :D

MaxDiesel
03-02-2003, 09:53
Jack,

I assume the fuel gauge is correct as it uses a float and that is what you use to tell how much fuel you have. Any differances in the way you use you DIC? I assume your range is off. Also, When you get past 26 gallons does the DIC say "short" under range?

Jim

torque
03-02-2003, 18:13
I installed one in my driveway, by myself, in about 5 hours with coffee breaks. Just follow the directions, everything you need comes with the tank. Be sure to get the fast fill neck, it's easier to install with the tank out. I know, I installed one later. Unless you're older than I was last year, 62, you shouldn't have any problem.

Jack's Dmax
03-06-2003, 01:07
Maxdiesel,

I have not seen the message that you mentioned. The fuel gauge is accurate the only difference now is that I have 20 gallons when the fuel gauge shows 1/2 tank. TFI will give you a breakdown on the fuel gauge if you have them install it.

MaxDiesel
03-06-2003, 23:40
Jack, So the fuel guage is accurate. What about the DIC? How does the use of that change after you get the new tank?

I would think the range is not representative of what is in the tank? Would not other things not be the same also?

Jack's Dmax
03-08-2003, 03:52
Maxdiesel,

All of the info from the DIC is correct except the range estimate. You can still get a good idea of how far you can travel with the MPG reported by the DIC, plus the gallons remaining in the tank. TFI provides the gallons remaining at Empty 1/4,1/2,3/4/and full.

www.transferflow.com

MaxDiesel
03-08-2003, 20:36
Jack,

Sorry to keep bringing up questions, but what doe the range say after you have gone past 26 gallons?