PDA

View Full Version : Possible Tekonsha Prodigy Problems

mcmonroe
07-03-2004, 18:07
I installed a Tekonsha Prodigy on my 2004 K2500 and was out testing the brakes and whatnot.

I previously had a Tekonsha Voyager and was very happy with its performance and wanted to upgrade to the Prodigy.

I first tested with my empty open car trailer. Strangely I could not get the brakes to lockup via applying the brakes via the brake pedal in the truck. I could easily lock them however with the manual override.

I tried some panic stops and other various things and just wrote it off to the trailer being empty and the new controller. **Note: The Voyager would easily lock the brakes and would require adjustment on the "power" knob to get things in line.

Ok.. So I figure I will throw a car on the trailer and see if that makes a difference. I put the Prodigy up to full voltage (13) and the boost up to level 3. I would then turn the voltage down to zero and the boost off. I did some stops both ways, some slow, some panic, etc.

I honestly couldnt tell of the trailer brakes were helping any or not. With the Voyager I could tell a big difference. Also -- I could make the brakes easily lock the tires even with a car on the trailer while using the manual override on the controller.

To make a long story short -- it doesnt seem to me like the contoller is working properly. Am I supposed to see voltage readings showing how much braking effort is being applied when doing normal stops versus using the manual override on the controller? I only see voltage readings when using the manual override.

Anyone have any thoughs or ideas?

Many thanks,

Mark Monroe
Harrisburg NC
2004 K2500 D/A Crew Cab

BVOYLES
07-03-2004, 20:11
Mark,

Yes, you are supposed to see a voltage number when applying the brakes. When I installed my Prodigy about a year ago, I had a similar no voltage problem. Turned out that I blew a fuse while making the prodigy cable longer (accidently let a bare wire touch ground). It took me awile to realize what the problem was.

mcmonroe
07-03-2004, 20:15
Which fuse? I actually had a wire touch when I was making my connections and checked all of the ones I could think of to see of any were blown. The ones I checked were fine.

There are so many fuses though -- under the hood, in the dash, etc.

Since the unit had power etc I thought I was ok but it looks like I might have found my problem.

:)

Mark

tpitt
07-04-2004, 05:31
Mark, Had the same problem with my truck. I could work the brakes from the manual overide, but not the foot peddle. It seems G.M. didn't hook up a wire from the stoplight to the juction box. I just run a jumper wire from the cold side of the brake light switch (white wire) to the light blue wire on the harness. Double check me on the wire colors, as I'm doing this from memory. tpitt

BVOYLES
07-04-2004, 09:23
Mark,
It was a fuse on the panel located on the dirvers side end of the dash. I did the same thing, checked all of the fuses and could not find the blown one. Finally had to pull each fuse and temporally replace it until I found the bad one. It turned out the bad one had just a hair line break and I could not see it from above. Can't remember which fuse it was, but I'll go look at my panel and maybe jog my memory.

tpitt
07-04-2004, 09:32
BVOYLES,
Maybe thats the problem with mine also. PLease keep us posted and if it is I can pull my jumper wire. Thanks, tpitt

mcmonroe
07-04-2004, 09:50
I think I figured out the problem.

I previously had a 2001 5.3 Z71. I had used the same trailer with a Voyager controller it and everthing work woderfully.

When I got my 2004 K2500 D/A I went ahead and bought a new "GM Harness" thinking that there might be a difference between the 2004 D/A and my 2001 Z71.

The harness I bought for the 2004 was a Reese harness and specifically said "2003 and Newer Chevy Siverado" etc. For gins I compared the pin-outs when I installed the new harness and Prodigy on my 2004 and noticed that in fact the rew wire was pinned to a differnet location in the connector.

At the time I remember feeling good that I had bought the new harness since there appeared to be a differnce.

Last night at 1:30am I couldnt sleep for thinking about this crap and went to do some checking. I pulled every fuse that appeared to be related to the trailer, brake lights, etc and all were fine.

On a hunch I decided to put the 2001 harness on the truck in place of the 2004 that I had just bought.

Tell me if this is how the Prodigy should work. With no trailer I will see the one led on but it goes off after 15min when the truck is sitting still. When I hook the trailer up the Prodigy will read "0.0" until I start moving around. When I brake or acclerate the voltage reading will go up and down etc.

Is this how its supposed to work? Its seems to be working the trailer bakes fine now.

To make a long story short -- the Reese harness was the wrong one -- even though it was in the correct box with the correct label.

Let me know if this his how its supposed to work. I think I might finally have the problems ironed out.

Thanks again guys,

Mark

BVOYLES
07-04-2004, 11:00
Mark,
Sounds like the prodigy is working correctly.
But be careful when using a earlier harness. Some on this board have reported that when they use a 2001 or 2002 harness in a 03 or later, the trailer brakes activate when the headlights are turned on. GM reversed a couple of pin-outs on the harness plug for 03 and I believe 04. So, have someone turn on your lights while you're back at the trailer wheels and listen for the brakes clicking on. Or you can drive around the block, turn on the lights and see if there is any brake drag. Also carefully feel the trailer brake drums - they'll get hot they are dragging.
Be carefull, they can get real hot!

tpitt, I checked my fuse pannel, still can't remember which fuse it was. You may have to manually check them all with a ohm meter. I know it was a pain in the ass when I did it.

mcmonroe
07-04-2004, 11:27
Well crap.. I thought I had it firgured out with the connector..

Ok.. Maybe someoue out there that really knows the wiring can help me out here.

Here is the 2004 Reese harness:

http://www.addaplate.com/misc/2004connector.jpg

Each pin placement is labeled A - F. The bottom left pin is pin A. Next up where the black wire currently resides is pin B. Top left pin where the blue wire resides is C.

Top right pin where the red wire resides is pin D. Middle pin on right is pin E. Bottom right pin where the white wire resides is F.

The *only* difference between the 2004 harness and the 2001 harness is where the red wire is located. On the 2004 harness its pin D. On the 2001 harness its pin A.

Can someone tell me exactly where each colored wire is supposed to go in a 2004 harness? Can someone who actually has things working right compare their pins and see what I need to do?

I hope I haven't messed anything up trying to get this darn thing work.

Many thanks,

Mark

Kennedy
07-05-2004, 07:09
When you hook a trailer up it should say "c"

I guess at this point, I'd remove the Prodigy, but plug in the harness to the truck. Make SURE you are plugging into the proper slot.

I'd then verify voltage is applied to the stoplight wire when pedal is depressed, beep or ohm the output wire to the trailer socket, verify 12v supply, and ground.

Don't apply voltage to anything, and remember, always locate wires by function not color.

tpitt
07-05-2004, 10:45
John,
That was the problem I have. No applied voltage to the stoplight portion of the junction box. I just run a jumper wire from my cold side of the stoplight switch to the harness for now. When I have more time I will check all of my fuses. BVOYLES states this may be my problem, although brake lights and everything else works. As for now the jumper wire works fine. tpitt