PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket radio/dash lights problem

chrisinkanata
07-04-2004, 10:59
Afternoon all,

I'm hoping that one of you can assist me again with a problem I'm having after installing a new radio CD player. After following all the directions properly and double checking everything twice, I still have no dash lights. It's only the lights in the instrument cluster themselves. The indicator lights in the door switches etc are fine.

The dash lights actually worked for a minute or two after the installation, but then quit. Using the diagnostics in the shop manual, I have determined I need a new H/L switch because the dimmer seems to be fried.

The new radio I have installed is a Panasonic 5310U and it works wonderfully. The display in radio is fine. It has no wiring for anything to do with the dimmer, which is dofferent from the stock deck. The stock radio uses two wires, orange & orange/white stripe that interface with the dimmer on the truck. With the new radio, these two wires are left open, not connected to anything. I tried installing the stock deck again, and sure enough, still no cluster lights.

I contacted Panasonic who's somewhat terse reply was to take it to a professional installer.

Anyone have a thought on this?

I don't want to install a new H/L switch and have it fail again, if it's related to the new deck.

Thanks,

Chris

jim659
07-10-2004, 08:11
I had the same problem it drove me crazy. I checked every fuse and anything else I could think of. Finally I took my truck to my friends shop and he found it was the BCM fuse inside drivers side fuse panel, hope this helps.

Jim Shaw