PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Flow replacement tanks

denverdale
07-07-2004, 11:44
Has anyone in the Denver/Littleton area installed a TransferFlow 45 callon replacement tank on a 2500 HD? I am about ready to do so but would like to see one before I do it, if possible.

Thanks

DenverDale

cowboywildbill
07-07-2004, 17:25
I did a 56 gallon on our truck. It was easy, the directions are great. I used a motorcycle jack to raise the tank up into place. I installed the fast fill kit also. I would get a second person to help you hold up the new tank while placing it into position, you could use a floor jack with help to do this. By using the motorcycle jack, I could have done the job pretty easily by myself. But it never hurts to have a second set of eye's and hand's. The tanks are pretty heavy "and well built". I have had mine for over a year now and love it, and the fill kit. I have had no problems with it at all and I go off road while ranching. If you are handy at all don't be afraid to tackle the job. The wieght of the new tank is the worst part of it, but with help and a jack you can do it. Good luck.

mdrag
07-07-2004, 18:18
denverdale,

I took a few pics comparing the OEM and TRANSFERFLOW 56 GAL REPLACEMENT TANK (http://community.webshots.com/album/59802499ATZLGB/1) when I did the install over two years ago. The instructions are very detailed, and an extra pair of hands will help manage the weight of this huge tank. IMHO, the fast fill fillneck option for the TFI replacement tank is highly recommended and works as advertised.

Cowboy Wild Bill's suggestion of using a motorcycle jack to lift and support the tank during installation is a good one. I placed the tank on sawhorses and carefully lowered the truck into position using a service lift.

Don't forget the quick disconnect tool for the fuel lines. I used the LISLE 37000 AC/FUEL LINE DISCONNET TOOL SET (http://www.lislecorp.com/tool_detail.cfm?detail=553) with good results. I bought it at Sear's for about $10.

http://www.lislecorp.com/images/general/37000L.GIF

denverdale
07-07-2004, 18:52
Thanks guys.

I was only looking at the 45 gal. replacement tank as I have the short bed truck. MDRAG, my son lives in Duncan, so maybe I should just drive down there to visit and stop at your shop and swap tanks. LOL

Denverdale

tpitt
07-07-2004, 19:16
Actually the tanks come with disconnect tools. I bought a set of Lisle but have never used them. I've installed around 10 or so of the tanks. If any of you guys are comming to the pull-off in Montana I am bringing 2 or 3 LLY shortbed tanks. At least one of them is already sold and possibly another one. Unfortunately they are out Of LB7 shortbed tanks. I maybe able to get an LB7 longbed tank though. They're also out of Fast fill necks, and wont have any until July 19th. Too late for me to bring any to Montana. tpitt

jim659
07-10-2004, 08:18
How does the bigger tank effect the fuel gauge? Is there an option to make it accuratly with the bigger tank?

Thanks, Jim Shaw

denverdale
07-10-2004, 10:57
Jim
My understanding is that the fuel gauge stays accurate because there is an extension installed to the float. Check their web site FAQ's.

Denverdale

tpitt
07-10-2004, 14:57
The Transferflow tanks use the same pick up unit as the origional tank. When I install the tanks I put a measured 5 gallons in the tank and then record the gallons, when the low fuel light goes off. Then record the gallons in inclements, until full. Terry

crew84
08-25-2004, 20:18
Tpitt do you have any more of the 45 gal Transfer flow tanks for the 2004 Lb7? If so how can I contact you?

DA BIG ONE
08-26-2004, 04:05
I see no listings for my trk, so wondering if any of you know if this tank can be fitted to a 99 2500HD 4wd BURB?

tpitt
08-26-2004, 06:11
crew84,
Since I'm not a paying advertiser as of yet. The best way would be to email Jim. (More Power) and see if he wishes to forward it to me. I actually have one LB7 S/B tank left. tpitt

Colorado Kid
08-26-2004, 12:24
Originally posted by DA BIG ONE:
I see no listings for my trk, so wondering if any of you know if this tank can be fitted to a 99 2500HD 4wd BURB? Not a chance. :(
If your Burb doesn't already have a 39 Gallon tank you ought to be able to find one for it in a bone yard.

DA BIG ONE
08-26-2004, 13:17
Originally posted by Colorado Kid:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by DA BIG ONE:
I see no listings for my trk, so wondering if any of you know if this tank can be fitted to a 99 2500HD 4wd BURB? Not a chance. :(
If your Burb doesn't already have a 39 Gallon tank you ought to be able to find one for it in a bone yard. </font>[/QUOTE]Actually have a 43 gal diesel unit in back of diff, and between the rails, it fills the area right up to the rear bumper. I was considering an additional tank that mounts up under the truck along the drivers side chassis rail (inside) which is one big wide open area beggin for an aux tank. So, maybe I can retrofit a tank from the gas engine trucks which would be in this area, or?

crew84
08-27-2004, 05:32
tpitt, the email address has been forwarded

[ 08-27-2004, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: crew84 ]

tpitt
08-27-2004, 17:22
crew 84,
You have mail. Terry