PDA

View Full Version : Info on lighting

horsehauler1717
01-13-2003, 13:24
Looking for several good places to buy replacement bulbs for my 01 D/M. Looking for the brightest and most durable, headlight,taillights and backup lights. Can you guys post a few places for me? If you've had problems with some lights and I need to stay away from them let me know too.
Also I wanted to get a pair of factory fog lights for my truck.. On one web site, in RED type, it reads, The computer needs to be reprogramed at a local dealer.........my dealer has no idea what this could mean........can some offer some light on this

Thanks

3-Fan
01-13-2003, 13:50
I HIGHLY recommend Kennedy's Headlight Booster Kit with the Phillips Rally 100W high beams and 70W low beams. I have never heard any bad comments about this setup. Works great for me!!

IndigoDually
01-13-2003, 16:53
Ditto on the Kennedy Harness. I would not go out of my way to add the fog lights from the factory. They are very poor in the lighting performance. Some here have added a PIAA airdam and driving lights and have had good luck. Look at mdrag's signature and go through the many pics he has posted.
Yes the truck computer has to be told about fog lights, but I believe only if You want to add the factory ones and use the GM harness and switching.

John

TooMuchMuscle
01-13-2003, 18:14
I have seen a few dmax's with the headlight booster and they look great. I will be getting the booster next week. I also wanted to know about zenon lights. can you install them on the booster setup or just with the factory wiring? Thanks

TxDoc
01-13-2003, 18:40
I agree with the Kennedy Headlight Harness. Very good investment!

I only know of the Sylvania Silverstars. They are very close to HID in temp range (see below). They are very clear and crisp. Normally $25 each, but several places like AutoZone offer $10 off.

SilverStrar info:

http://www.sylvania.com/auto/silverstar.htm

Now there's a new star on the road, burning brighter and whiter than halogen ever has. SilverStar illuminates with a searing intensity, exceeded only by far more expensive High Intensity Discharge lighting. SilverStar is fueled by advanced design and backed by the prestigious SYLVANIA brand with its longstanding commitment to halogen innovation.
SilverStar's color temperature is a white hot 4,000 K, far higher than other halogens on the market and comparable to High Intensity Discharge headlights.

SilverStar shines with a luminance up to 20% greater than other halogens.

A sharp profile, silver tip, and amethyst blue coating create a dramatic, high-end, crisp, clean look.

4000K color temp, HID is 4100K (I think) and Cool Blues are 3455K to 3700K.

Joe Pool
01-16-2003, 14:42
Go with the Sylvania Xenarc replacement headlight assemblies (true HID low beams) -- you will love them. Also use the headlight booster kit. You might also want to get a set of the Sylvania XL low beams (HID aux low beams). ;)

A good website is www. BuyTruckStuff. com.

The part numbers are X-2020 for the headlights (Chevy only) and X-1010 for the aux low beams.

[ 01-16-2003: Message edited by: Joe Pool ]

[ 01-16-2003: Message edited by: Joe Pool ]</p>