PDA

View Full Version : Overhead console

Xmas1
09-10-2005, 18:03
I have the mini overhead console in my truck and I'm looking to install a timer for an Espar unit in the pocket in this console. There are 2 options that I'm looking at. My first choice is to install a flat cover in the existing pocket, and cut it out for the timer, but the dealer told me that I can't buy just the cover. I was told I would need to buy a new console at over $300. My second choice would be to change to another overhead console. I was looking at the longer version but I don't know if it would fit or not. My '02 had this style and it already has the flat cover in it that I could cut out for the timer. I found a few of them on ebay relatively inexpensive.
I have two questions, can I get just the cover to fit my existing console somewhere and if not does anyone know if the holes are under the head liner to hold the longer console?

trbankii
09-11-2005, 02:00
Chances are pretty good that the holes are there under the headliner. Most of that stuff is pretty standard. I'd check the junkyards to see if you could come up with one of the covers. They may still make you purchase the whole console as it won't be any good to them to sell missing a cover - but trim pieces usually go pretty cheap and you won't be paying the $300.

jbplock
09-11-2005, 14:55
http://www.gmdieseltech.com/store2/cart.php?target=image&action=product_thumbnail&product_id=16211
Overhead Console Insert (http://www.gmdieseltech.com/store2/cart.php?target=category&action=view&category_id=271)

Xmas1
09-12-2005, 14:22
Thanks, I did find the same web page but unfortunately it fits unto '02 and I have an '03. I had a chance to pull down the overhead console and it looks like the dealer may have been correct. It doesn't look like I can change the insert on the mini console. I

oyazi
09-13-2005, 17:28
I have a full overhead console for my 02 that could be adapted to your 03. It has the plate you speak of. Its tan but not that contrast to gray sort of hard to explain. Plastic is very close to gray and the beigy velor(?) provides a good accent to gray. If interested contact me @ odoh1@hotmail.com
There is a website that has the instructions on how to install a full unit. Chk out http://www.lwm.cc/oh/index.htm I grew to like my stubby and couldn't see any real advantage to change ~ as my guages are on the A pillar. The long console would be better for gauge mounting than the stubby as the angle of the plate is different and easier for eye access. Its a little farther from the eye for better focusing (depending on ones age)

[ 09-13-2005, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: oyazi ]

Trippin
09-15-2005, 16:58
I can make you a cover out of billet aluminum.

Xmas1
09-22-2005, 15:51
Thanks for all your help. I have a bid in for a full length overhead console that ends later in the week. If I can get it to work this is the best way for what I'm doing. I'll post results, if it comes out good.

Xmas1
10-02-2005, 16:03
OK... I won the bid for the longer overhead console. I got it for only $20 plus $15 S&H. It came out of a '99 Tahoe so it had a fan switch and the Home link remote system. I found the two rear holes that were under the headliner to mount the console. All I had to do was to cut two holes through the headliner. The controller looks great in there too. Everything mounted, plugged in and worked great except for one thing that makes no sense to me what so ever. I programmed the Home Link for my garage door and it worked. After I turned off the truck if I push the button for the garage door nothing happens. The little LED doesn't come on or anything. I turned on the map light to make sure there was still power then pushed the button again and the garage door opened. This is the only way that the Home Link will work; I need to turn on/off one of the map lights first. I can't see what one has to do with the other except they are wired together. Does anyone have any suggestions on this one?

oyazi
10-03-2005, 07:15
Hmm-m, lemmesee ~ would that require a reflash of the BCU/BCM?

DuramaxDicko
10-16-2005, 08:43
Xmas1

can you post pictures so we can see?
thanks

Xmas1
10-19-2005, 18:13
This is my first time posting pictures, I hope I did it correct. Take a look at the install.

http://community.webshots.com/user/Xmas14455