PDA

View Full Version : How hard would be to put regular mirrors in place of tow mirrors?

DuckhunterInTN
07-19-2004, 08:10
I am looking at a truck that has towing mirrors on it. I was wanting to know how much trouble it would be to switch the towing mirrors for some regular ones. How hard would it be to find someone willing to swap?

mdadgar
07-19-2004, 13:17
It's a 10 minute job, if that.

You can buy the stock mirrors fairly cheaply from gmpartdirect.com.

I bought the towing mirrors from them, used them for a year, and then sold them on eBay for more than I paid for them. In case you need ideas on how to get rid of the crummy factory towing mirrors. :D

I use these now:

TTT Mirrors (http://www.ttt-mirror.com/)

They are awesome.

- Mark

DmaxMaverick
07-21-2004, 20:04
Easy swap. Three bolts you don't have to scrape your knuckles to get to.

I have an extra set of power mirrors (west coast style with passenger convex). If you don't have the power option, it's easy to add. The wires are already there. Just add the control and arm rest panel. I'll let the mirrors go for about half of new, which is still less than gmpartsdirect, w/o the s&h charges they'll gouge you. I used them for less than 10,000 miles and they look and operate like new. They have the chrome front and fit 01-02 M/Y. My email is my TDP handle (all lower case) at yahoo dot com.

DuckhunterInTN
07-22-2004, 06:47
Thanks for the replies strange and maverick;

When you are talking about the mirrors you have I assume you talking about the same ones on 95% of the Silverados, not the old camper style ones with the two sliding bars, correct?

I am not sure what the $$ is for them on gmpartsdirect.com but you offer sounds good. The only issue is that I'd have to decide if I wanted the older "chrome style" mirrors on a 2004 truck.

Either way, I have to get the truck to put them on first. :D :D

DmaxMaverick
07-22-2004, 09:22
While I don't consider them to be "old style", they are off my '01 GMC. They are the black plastic housing with the chrome panel on the front.

I'm not sure they will fit on the '04. They don't have the turn signals in them and the mounting might be different, as well as the wiring.

What year truck are you looking at? New? Used?

DuckhunterInTN
07-26-2004, 08:25
Well there is a newer style mirror out (i.e., no chrome plate) so I considered them the "old style" :D

Hey, I've got the chrome style on my 2000 silverado and I like them fine.

I am looking at a new 2004.