PDA

View Full Version : 264 feet! More FUEL please!!!

markrinker
07-25-2004, 07:04
Pulled last night despite the FSD problems, and managed a best of 264' in the 7250 and under class.

Truck worked great, good traction. I just need...MORE POWER.

Any way to turn up the fuel beyond Heath 2.0 chip, without sacrificing reliability for a daily driver?

whatnot
07-25-2004, 07:23
Propane?

markrinker
07-25-2004, 08:21
Seems to be the most likely candidate, however that puts you in a different class. Right now I am pulling in 'stock' class, where everyone has exhaust/chips/air mods. I think to add propane would take the class, but certainly people would cry foul and you'd get bumped into 'mods'.

A 1997 3500 dually longbox pulled 305' with a BD chip and 3.5 exhaust. Claimed that his turbo was stock with no mods. Wasn't even running guages. Lots of black smoke, I bet his EGTs were high by the end of the pull.

Could the longer wheel base and dual rear wheels give him that much more of an advantage? He was running stock rubber and was able to use second gear, low side. Shifted back to first for the last 20', I wouldn't do that to my tranny, though.

JoeyD
07-25-2004, 18:59
It's more the weight of the truck, although the dual rears and stiffer springs help.

Uncle Wally
07-25-2004, 21:31
Mark,

I'm sure we could plumb in a propanr injection system so that it could hardly be seen. A friend and I did that on the bottom side of an intake manifold for a small block gasser. We hid the bottle behind the 'door' panel in the back seat. Put the soloids inside the empty A/C box. It was obvious when he hit the switch though. There are systems that have a progressive feed. Not sure how they work though.

Talk to Greg Landuyt (sp) or John Kennedy - they both have a power shot propane system that works off boost. I think you would outpull the heck outa everyone with one, until they find your secret hiding spot for the propane! :D :D

BTW - where did you get your engine for the truck that tossed the crank? I just picked one up cheap a couple weeks ago and need to drop in a short block.

Waldo

markrinker
07-26-2004, 05:52
It was an Ebay purchase.

Could I go with mechanical injection and set up the pump for higher fuel flow?

Does anyone 'hot-rod' the electronic pumps themselves?

Kennedy
07-26-2004, 05:56
Ronnniejoe's setup works quite well...

Billman
07-26-2004, 15:16
Mark

From start to finish...How long did the 'Pull' last for. 15...20 seconds?

Were you able to monitor EGT? Do you think the ECM was pulling back fuel on you?

Just curious. I see you're not cooling the intake charge.

markrinker
07-26-2004, 15:57
Not sure. I'd be suprised if it were over 15 seconds. I don't think the computer cut fuel, as it went down spinning, not lugging.

I need more fuel early on to make more ground speed by pulling in 2nd gear on the low side.

Intake was iced before my heats, and left the bag on during warmup, weigh-in, and pulling. Don't know if it helped, but it didn't hurt anything, either.

Billman
07-27-2004, 03:57
Depending on you boost pressures, IAT could climb very fast.

I see you have a plow mount on this truck.

You might be the perfect candidate for...WMI.

That's legal, right?

markrinker
07-27-2004, 17:31
Yeah, if it isn't legal, it wouldn't be unfair in my book. Also doesn't come with the sudden and unmistakeable power surge of NOS or propane, in large doses.

Barry Nave
07-28-2004, 02:38
Water injection mixed with Alky makes a big differnce on take off and IAT cooling.
My home injection proved that to me and the IAT gage confirms this.
WI now for 4 Yrs.

markrinker
07-28-2004, 13:59
Sounds like the way to go. My only constraint right now is the time to pull together the peices and experiment with a truck that is working every day. No down time, really.