PDA

View Full Version : Auxiliary fuel tank?

sluggerjoe
09-19-2005, 19:21
Does anyone make an auxiliary, add on tank for an 05 Crew Cab short box? That little fuel tank is a pain.

jbplock
09-20-2005, 02:23
Transfer Flow makes an aftermarket tank ...

http://www.transferflow.com/
http://www.transferflow.com/html/gm_tank_0.html

http://www.transferflow.com/assets/images/GMMIDSHIP.jpeg

"A 45 gallon replacement fuel tank is available for 2500 HD and 3500 HD crew cab and extended cab pickups with 6 1/2 foot beds. A 56 gallon fuel tank is available for 2500 HD and 3500 HD crew cab and extended cab pickups with eight foot beds"

Also try a forum search on "transferflow" for more info...

smile.gif

LanduytG
09-20-2005, 02:58
That is the very tank I installed last year when I got my truck. I would like more than 45 gallon but it is sure better than 25 gallon.

Greg

Roy W
09-20-2005, 03:51
Go up to "Towing" and look at my post on "Plumbing An Auxiliary Fuel Tank". I got my tank from Northern Tools (www.northerntool.com). They are made by RDS in Perry, FL. Even though I had to purchase the pump, fittings, switch, etc, from other sources, it was still considerably cheaper than Transfer Flow. Transfer Flow makes a great automatic system, however I wanted a system where I could control the transfer of fuel. I wound up with a 60 gallon diamond plate aluminum tool box/tank combo (fits short beds) for $750. and that included shipping, pump, fittings, etc. The tank itself was $500 plus $100. shipping. Also, if you order over the Northern Tool website, they are $50. less than the catalog price. I don't know where you live, but Transfer Flow quoted me $250. freight from CA to FL. Don't get me wrong, the Transfer Flow system is a first rate system, but it just didn't meet my needs or budget.

jjackson
09-21-2005, 16:25
Sluggerjoe, I have the same tank that Roy W mentioned, except mine is a 41 gallon combo fuel tank/tool box diamond plated. Everything works great. I'm considering selling it as I have a long bed, and wish I would have gotten the larger one, as I only use my truck for towing my 5th wheel. If you think you might be interested, send me a note at the email address in my sig below.

John

cmonroe97
09-26-2005, 07:55
have a 2002 D-Max with an add on 46 gal tank that replaced my reg 25 gal tank. I love it no prob. 2 yrs.charlie...

bigchev
09-26-2005, 12:07
I have had a 57 gal. supertank on my s/b ext. cab for over a year and it is great. Except when near empty and I fill up.

57 gal X $3.00+ = Wuff! tongue.gif

sluggerjoe
09-26-2005, 16:59
I was hoping for a tank to use in addition to the factory tank, somewhere under the frame. I don't want to use up bed space.

rjwest
10-08-2005, 09:28
I had a under bed tank made by RDS to my print,
Actualy a card board mock up.

It replaces my spare tire ( dually )

38 gallon 36 useable, could have gone slightly larger.

Set it up as a transfer to main tank, and plumbed so the vents are interconnected ( PCM see's as 1 big tank, no codes )

The fuel transfer ( lift pump )pumps into the main tank vent line just before entering main tank, Both fill vents are connected also, If I over transfer fuel the main tank ( if full )runs back into the aux tank .

letsgo
10-13-2005, 16:19
I can tow the whole day without a fillup, I can sellect my fuel stops, (truck stops), towing range is a max. of 800 miles, unloaded is 1800 miles, those 2 figures are estimates so I wont push it.

2 tanks one original the other TFI 50 gal, Im happy and the little woman doesnt keep asking are we OK for gas (diesel).

good luck
drive safe

sfcahr
10-27-2005, 16:20
Originally posted by Roy W:
Go up to "Towing" and look at my post on "Plumbing An Auxiliary Fuel Tank". I got my tank from Northern Tools (www.northerntool.com). They are made by RDS in Perry, FL. Even though I had to purchase the pump, fittings, switch, etc, from other sources, it was still considerably cheaper than Transfer Flow. Transfer Flow makes a great automatic system, however I wanted a system where I could control the transfer of fuel. I wound up with a 60 gallon diamond plate aluminum tool box/tank combo (fits short beds) for $750. and that included shipping, pump, fittings, etc. The tank itself was $500 plus $100. shipping. Also, if you order over the Northern Tool website, they are $50. less than the catalog price. I don't know where you live, but Transfer Flow quoted me $250. freight from CA to FL. Don't get me wrong, the Transfer Flow system is a first rate system, but it just didn't meet my needs or budget.