PDA

View Full Version : Need advice - truck at dealer

gforrer
11-10-2005, 15:35
Yesterday I'm driving on highway for a few miles, and at one point when I attempted to accelerate, I felt the truck start to bang (almost felt as if I was accelerating on a very rough roadway and the rear axle was hopping) When I took my foot off the pedal, it went away. This happened a few times. I took the transmission out of overdrive and everything seemed normal. I drove another few miles to dealer. As I was sitting in parking lot of dealer for a few minutes idling, all of a sudden the engine started to have a "miss" and at that moment the "service engine soon" and "security" light came on. As I increased the idle, the "miss" went away.

This afternoon I get a call from the dealer and they tell me I need a new injector pump, a new PCM (power control module) and a new turbo boost solenoid. At a cost of approx. $4000.

The injector pump was already replaced approx. 80K ago and have had no problems since then (no stalling, rough idle, etc.) I replaced the FSD (fuel solenoid driver) last year and relocated it away from the engine with a finned cooler kit from Kennedy.

I'm not feeling confident in the dealer diagnostic. My problem started with what I feel was a transmission problem and now I feel as if they are just going to replace parts until it get corrected at my expense.

Can anyone relate to having this problem?

markelectric
11-10-2005, 17:42
Driving what?

landrea
11-10-2005, 19:30
Ouch 4grand for a pump,fsd and boost sol ?Does that include a pillow to sit on to ease the pain?Sounds like $2500 should cover it or is labor at that dealer $250 per hour?

landrea
11-10-2005, 19:46
Oh I misundrestood ,it needs a pcm that explains it , that must cover the cost of the often needed two pcms to get one to work and all the diagnostic time to find out that it needs the second pcm and the core charge because the dealer lost the return box :mad: JUST KIDDING!Could I interest you in a slightly used pcm to fit a 95 3500HD? :D please disreguard this I was only letting off some steam I'm all calm now but $4000 does sound high!

Turbine Doc
11-10-2005, 22:39
update us what yr & model GM and miles, you MAY be entitled to a free IP, if warranty period hasn't run out, specialy policy for 6.5 IPs

gforrer
11-11-2005, 04:05
Sorry....forgot to give you truck specs: 99 GMC Suburban 128K. Dealer told me pump was just out of warranty.

Hubert
11-11-2005, 04:07
Ouch, Try and get the codes that set the SES light. Someone can help confirm or contradict dealer diagnosis. And get an explanation of why they want to replace all that stuff. If the PCM is bad all the OBD-II codes are suspect so how do they know what all is bad?????

Unfortuneately yes when the IP is bad or commanded (by pcm and FSD) incorrectly it has difficulty metering the fuel precisisely and it can be felt in driveline like a transmission problem.

The need for PCM and IP is concerning. Is it the PCM that is confussing the IP and causing it to act up or is it the IP only but they are not sure, Or did the PCM kill the pump????????

How much confidence do you and they have in thier diesel (6.5 mechanic)? A second opinion is warranted for that kind of dough. At least a few competitive quotes for the same work.

gforrer
11-11-2005, 08:15
Just spoke with dealer, he gave me the following codes: he said the technician used a Tech 2 scanner.

P0236- Turbo Boost
P0753-1 2 shift solonoid
P1626- Theft detterent malfunction
U1192- Loss of Passlock

I then asked how did they arrive to the fact that the injector pump and PCM need replacement--- he said the Tech 2 also indicated that information.

Now I'm really confused

Hubert
11-11-2005, 08:46
Sorry, I can't help with the specific codes. There are a few codes that indicate bad IP. But none of those really indicate a bad IP I don't think.

What year and vehicle info?

I would get a second opinion. I would want to know exactly why the scan indicated a bad IP and clarification and explanation of if the PCM is bad how is the on board dianostic system accurate?

If you don't feel comfortable with explanation tow it somewhere else.

jan5
11-11-2005, 14:36
I have given up on GM Dealers, Have had enormously better luck going outside the loop into the aftermarket guys. Give Bill Heath a call. He can smarten you up in a hurry.Once you get a grip on how these things are progammed to run you can take care of these sort of things yourself. (your guess is a good as a dealer who dosent know or care about your truck or your wallet.) Get the truck out of there go to auto-zone for a free scan so you have some reliable info and go from there.Warranty is over any way
Good Luck Dave

Eddys
11-14-2005, 09:24
I had something similar happen with mine not exactly the same codes but a few which would blame the IP. The dealer reseated the PCM connector and that seemed of cured the problem.
So far so good.

Govt issue
11-14-2005, 14:31
I had a problem close to this a few years ago. The boost sensor shorted the 5 volt ref to ground. Computer went stupid. I would start by unpluging it and clearing codes. Then check to see if it runs any better. The ses light will be on. You are trying to get the coumpter to default.

Black95TD
11-17-2005, 15:24
I recently sold my 95 K2500 but when my truck would "miss" under hard acceleration it was always the oil pressure semding unit. It never set a code but it would buck pretty bad. I suppose if things were sort of loose, it could feel like the axel hopping. I had to replace mine OPS every 25K. Same symptom - started Ok, idled Ok, missed badly under hard acceleration. I think it was a 27 mm deep socket to get it out. Its only a $30 part - don't know what the cannges were over the years. I took one apart and it has a set of "points" that complete the circuit to the fuel pump. The contacts get pitted over time - sort of like the old points. Just a thought.

moondoggie
11-18-2005, 07:29
Good Day!

I think the mathematical likelihood of the PCM AND the IP failing at the exact same time is remote. It

Bigg R
11-18-2005, 13:57
My truck did almost the same thing it turned out to be a bare spot on TCC wiring harness!! Just my .02

BIGG R