PDA

View Full Version : Edge Module & Controller

Alltunedup
10-25-2005, 02:58
Not sure if anyone else's has been in this situation but, I was a little dissappointed last night after "attempting" to install the kit. I don't know if I'm an idiot for thinking this, but after spending that much money for something, one would think that the 1/8" NPT tap would be included with the kit. After boring a hole in my exhaust manifold, couldn't tap the hole because I don't own a tap and die set. I would be willing to bet that 90% or better who buy these products are general homeowner's. I could tell you this, if this kit were made in Germany, if would have included all necessary equipment to install it.

Just a little dissappointed I guess, needed to blow some steam!

FJ40INTOW
10-25-2005, 05:02
Having the unique opportunity to own both Japanese and American made vehicles I can feel your pain. I have had to buy metric and standard tools. I have always thought about buying a tap and die set but settled for buying just the taps that I needed. I tape the drill required for the tap together if it was a special size that was not in my drill set. Being excited about a new toy sometimes will cause one to jump in head first to get it installed before you read the entire instruction manual. This has happened to me many times. Good luck on your new toy!

Kennedy
10-25-2005, 06:29
The installation of the EGT thermocouple is optional. I guess I haven't seen anybody else complain about this. Maybe Edge should include the drill bit and drill too. I'm not trying to be sarcastic here, but the line has to be drawn somewhere. Reading through the Edge install guide or asking questions on this forum before drilling would have helped to avoid your situation. There have been many tutorials on thermocouple installation as well as Edge Juice installation.

lovette
10-25-2005, 10:21
You'll find Edge customer support to be very helpful if you ever need it.

olimaxx
10-25-2005, 20:30
once you get it hooked up right you will be very pleased. it works awesome.

oyazi
10-27-2005, 07:26
Now that mine is in ~ glad I didn't have to pay a german price for it.

I recall having to work on my first Japanese car (rarely) and found that I didn't have to have 2 wrenches and 3 elbows in my left arm. Everything had nutplates or welded backing nut. It was set up w/maintainability in mind even tho it was so reliable, it seldomed required any work. But as any grizzled guizzer having had replaced a U joint on a '39 Chev could attest, engineering for maint sure is nice.

AndyU
10-28-2005, 19:12
I had a similar problem. I had a tap, but it was one of those cheap sets from harbor freight and the tap wasn't hard enough to cut into the cast iron exhaust manifold. I ended up running to Sears hardware that night and getting a good one. I just bought the one tap and a handle for it. That did the trick nicely, but I think I had to spend around $20 for it.

Alltunedup
10-31-2005, 04:30
Thanks for all the replies, I did get it installed, had to borrow a tap from a Yamaha Dealership, Sears is about 40 miles from my house, live in a rural area. I read the manual, says on like pg 4, no special tools req'd. Just think when you spend that much money, there should be one in the kit. I also think Edge should spend $.50 more and make the wires on the connectors a little longer, that much pressure on the fittings would probably save them many service calls. System is in working great, better than my first Edge product which through engine codes, but I just couldn't live w/o it to get it fixed!!! It's on shelf gaining dust, for an '03 if anyone knows one looking for one.