PDA

View Full Version : diablosport how good?

Rick Malone
10-25-2005, 12:35
Hay has anyone used the diablosport tuner and if so how does your trk. respond to it, ie: trans/slip, MPG, any prob's. Thanks

More Power
10-25-2005, 19:28
I've used a couple of them... smile.gif The engine pulls hard once boost pressure begins to rise. This reduces the amount of black smoke and allowing the Predator to fill most daily driver needs. Tranny monitoring is not done by the Predator, but the factory programming will still watch things. Recommendations for use follow those for most power adders, in that the lower levels are best for towing and you should reserve the higher levels for when running unloaded (play time :D ).

The code reading, and especially the ability to see most real-time engine data are compelling reasons to get the Predator.

You should still install gauges if you tow...

Jim

Rick Malone
10-27-2005, 04:32
well i found with my diablosport that my trans slip's real bad 1st-4th 5th not to bad lots of smoke no mpg incress i put 970 miles on the 100, 85, and 60hp settings with 85 to 90% with cruse on and saw a net decrese in MPG about .8 i thought it would react beter that this or is this what i should expect.

DmaxMaverick
10-27-2005, 10:05
Are you sure your "trans slip" isn't the power overcoming the torque converter? If you had that much slip, you'd be in limp mode all the time, and likely would have cooked the tranny by now. More RPM during an acceleration isn't necessarily tranny slip. Just about any of the power adders will exceed the rating of the torque converter. If the tranny isn't slipping in OD, it isn't slipping. Is your experience in both normal and T/H modes?

As far as the mileage goes, sounds like your pedal foot isn't going to give you any gain.

Rick Malone
10-27-2005, 11:20
When it shifts the rpm's will go up about 100 to 150 and this is only when your foot is in it under reg.driving it's different just not as serviere.

DmaxMaverick
10-27-2005, 11:45
Sounds like defueling between shifts. Normal.

It also takes time/miles/shift-events to bring the adaptive learn (TCM) up to date. It should improve with more and more shift events. If you frequently change power levels, the adaptive learn process will be delayed considerably, creating more "abnormal" shift patterns. It is better to bring up your power levels in steps, allowing time for the TCM to adjust. Going from stock to the highest level right out of the box will take considerable time to adjust, regardless of the programmer brand.

Your tranny isn't slipping. If it was, under higher power levels, you'd be in limp mode a lot. The Predator will not defeat the defueling and tranny protections. Some power adders will, and allow you to melt down your tranny if not used properly.

If your tranny is stock, I'd suggest staying away from the higher power levels, especially when towing. If you don't have an EGT gage, use great care with anything above the 60 HP setting under any circumstances. Temps can get out of hand in a hurry.

Rick Malone
10-27-2005, 13:18
what is a good avg. for this adaptive learn (TCM) to get it up to date or is there more i need to do to help this process, i ran the 60 hp 450 miles with lots of stops and no noticeable change in shifts is this a long process or do you need to upgrade the trans to handle the extra hp and tok. or is it me trying to get to much for to little of money and not enought time, i did not have this with my powerstroke and it was a hyperchip tuner, and five years ago is a long leap in tecno.

xwing
11-07-2005, 14:38
Diablo Predator makes EGT go way higher than Edge Hot Juice for similar hp level settings.
Edge Hot (alone) on Max (level 4) peaked EGT at 1150 (has 4" exhaust).
Predator (alone) on max saw EGT's shooting up 1200, 1300, 1400, 1450 no sign of slowing up so let off.
Stacked together, now run Edge Hot Juice on level 4, Predator on level 1 (40hp) peaks EGT about 1175-1200; now trying with Predator at level 2 65hp...

I guess the way Diablo Predator does the fueling/timing or whatever, it just makes more EGT heat, which isn't preferable...but it DOES allow speedlimit up to 110 in 2001 trucks smile.gif which is a main reason to get it, besides neat diagnostic/info available on motor while running.
2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD D/A 4x4 ExCab Longbed, Suncoast V/Velocity Converter, Banks 4" exhaust, K&N filter/intake kit, Bulletproof Tierods, Bilstein shocks, Edge Hot Juice, Diablosport Predator, 13.71 @ 99.8mph

[ 11-07-2005, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: xwing ]

Kennedy
11-07-2005, 14:48
The LLY Predator has been very good. Especially good when you add a boost stick.

Rick Malone
11-08-2005, 08:56
Will the add on of the boost stick help move more air out to help manage EGT's or just help the overall proformance w/the tuner or both, i like what i read about the bost stick sounds like a lot of thought went in to it, its like useing a 10 ohm. resister on a ford p/s. Lots of great info THANKS, iam looking now at witch 4" ex, to buy and weather to kill the cat or go w/ a 4"cat and the EGR question. so much to thank about

Kennedy
11-08-2005, 09:57
The bost stick helps all aspects and about the only downfalI've seen is that it does not like a functional EGR system on some trucks.

I have exhaust dyno plots on my site. I hope to have some Boost stick plots as well as the Predator 2.02.

Rick Malone
11-08-2005, 10:37
So the EGR is a hit or miss with the bost stick is it better to unplug or block off and i see that you are showing a Predator 2.02 have thay replaced ver.2.0