PDA

View Full Version : pros and cons for lift

s2
11-12-2005, 08:17
i am new to this forum.

i want to purchase a used 2005 or 2006 4X4 Crew GMC/Chevy Duramax.
i want to know if there is any negative remarks regarding lift kits. does the drivetrain have the potential for excessive ware due to the sharper angle? is there adverse fuel consumption?
any comments please.
thanks...

s2
11-14-2005, 19:03
what gives people?
is there not someone that can answer this question?
can one of the moderators give me some clues as to what i can do to get a response?

madmatt
11-15-2005, 02:37
The only issue I've seen w/ lifted trucks besides the obvious is when wheelin' and stretching out the front travel. It puts the front axles in to tight a bind and blowns the boots. driveline angles are always an issue w/ lifted trucks as well as raising the center of gravity.

trbankii
11-15-2005, 04:37
Basically yes to both your questions.

The taller profile of the vehicle will offer more wind resistance as well as more turbulence under the vehicle, which will lower mileage.

The lift will also put drivetrain components at greater angles, which will increase wear.

s2
11-18-2005, 06:04
thanks to both of you for the input.
i really do appreciate the input.
i was beginning to think i offended someone.
thanks again...

trbankii
11-18-2005, 08:03
I don't think that you offended anyone. Just that sometimes people don't feel they have anything to add to a question. There is more activity up in the member's forums and some of the lower forums don't get as much traffic.

With e-mail, faxes, cell phones, etc it seems that people expect everything to be instantaneous! :D

s2
11-22-2005, 08:47
trbankii,
you are correct. i was impatient due to the fact i am itching to purchase a truck and wanted as much info before making a final decision.
i like the idea/look of having more clearance but not if it adversely affects performance and wear to the vehicle.
am going to look at a 2006 GMC 4X4 CC Duramax today. i decided with the rebate/incentives the 2006 w/LLY 6 speed Allison is the way to go.

much thanks to this forum and members for the information and experience you all have shared.
;)

Cooperrw
11-27-2005, 03:51
The only drive line angles that are changed with a quality lift kit are the drive lines. All of the steering components are dropped using brackets and different steering knuckles. I just towed my jeep into our elk camp and was glad I had the extra ground clearence on those badly rutted roads. IMHO chevy's sit to low if you want to get of the beaten path with them. :eek:
When you add larger tires you will lose some of your towing ability as you will change the gearing. I was towing about 8K and had plenty of power to maintian the the speed limit going up to Flaggstaff, larger wheels and tires will also place more stress on wheel bearings and effect your breaking. :cool:

shift
11-29-2005, 18:19
I put a Rancho 4inch on my 02 with 33+12.50+16.5
100000 very hard off-on road miles.
It rides and drives alot better lifted!!!

hill1430
12-01-2005, 18:06
I just installed a Fabtech 6" lift on my 06 LBZ with 109 miles on it. If you have any questions e-mail me at hill1430@cox.net.