PDA

View Full Version : Rough Rider

bamabadboy
11-22-2005, 17:35
I've owned a few trucks along the way, and hauled some good sized fivers (up to 17K). This is my first 2500HD and was I surprised how teeth rattling this thing can be over some washboard-type interstates. Doesn't matter if I'm towing my toy box or riding empty. Same rough rider. I noticed in another post that the addition of Bilstein shocks, Airlift airbags, and Sureset compressor controller smoothed out the ride. I've got a trip coming up and intend to do these mods. Problem is, the Bilsteins aren't available and I can't wait for them to come in. Can anyone recommend the correct model front and rear Rancho shocks I should use? I don't think I want to mess with the air adjustables since I'll have the Sureset. Also, I assume I should mount the compressor somewhere close to the airbags to minimize length of air lines. What guage wire do I need to make the long run to battery? Many thanks.

DmaxMaverick
11-22-2005, 18:00
Originally posted by bamabadboy:
I assume I should mount the compressor somewhere close to the airbags to minimize length of air lines. What guage wire do I need to make the long run to battery? Many thanks. The length of the wire harness will dictate the location you can mount the compressor and manifold. The wire harness is not extendible. The length of the air lines won't be an issue. Just about the only location you will find is inside the frame, behind the torsion bar support on the driver's side. The air lines easily run between the frame and fuel tank. Work a section of garden hose (or any semi-flexible hose or thin PVC) through the channel and push the air lines through it. You can either leave the hose there to protect the lines, or not. Be sure to use something to protect the air lines anywhere they might be chafed. The power feed wire is supplied with the SureSet kit, and will easily reach from under the dash to the "jump start" power box under the hood. Other connections can be made off of the fuse panel or in that area. Your 2005 should have an open area at the lower left of the fuse panel which has available switched power (lower left pin, IIRC). My 2001 didn't have that, but the 2003 did. Only other wire connection needed is the ground, which can be had just about anywhere under the dash.

I've done the AirLift and SureSet install on 2 trucks (2001 and 2003, so far), so if you need advice, just holler. This thread will be OK for it, but I'll move it to the Accessories Forum first.