PDA

View Full Version : Building a bumper

TSimpler
01-15-2006, 16:47
So... I have made the choice to build a bumper for my truck, the good ones cost way too much.

How thick should the bumper body be? 1/8, 1/4 what?

How thick should the bull bar tube be 2.5in, 3in, 3.5 in???

How thick should the winch mount be 1/2in or 3/4 inch???

Does anyone have any ideas or plans I can use???

I will be using a TJM for my ideas but they dont make one for the GMC.

Thanks
Trent

trbankii
01-16-2006, 05:45
Originally posted by TSimpler:
So... I have made the choice to build a bumper for my truck, the good ones cost way too much.

How thick should the bumper body be? 1/8, 1/4 what?1/8" should be plenty thick.

How thick should the bull bar tube be 2.5in, 3in, 3.5 in???I'd say that would be personal preference on looks more than anything.

How thick should the winch mount be 1/2in or 3/4 inch???I'd go with 3/4" with a fullsize truck

TSimpler
01-16-2006, 09:57
Thats a good start.

Thanks

Ranger354
01-17-2006, 17:55
T,
If I was going to build my own I would use 4" sch 40 pipe to start. Then attach that with 3/8 plate to the frame. The pipe can be cut and bent to fit the front of your truck. mine is topped with tread plate and lite sch tubing. GO to the nearest Walmart or trailer place and buy a box hitch. Cut the pipe thru both sides and insert the tube then weld it back.

These things are hard to put together unless you have a bender and all the other shop tools. But it can be done.

I purchased a Trail Boss for $400 cheeper then the ranch hand. I added a skid plate and hooks myself. The original Trail Boss pumper only had 6 bolts holding it together to the frame. I added 6 more. It aint coming off. Email me at Rangerjbf@aol.com if you want some pics of the truck and bumper.

Ranger354
01-17-2006, 17:59
One thing to note. My darn bumper doesn't sit high enough to clear my headlights. I have tried to adjust it and raise it, but no luck. When I have my high beams on I get glare from the top pipe rail.
Jim

Buck
01-20-2006, 11:11
I am a certified welder and was going to build a bumper myself to. With the price of steel and the time to build it, it would have been an PIA for me. I wanted the Ranchand style so I just decieded to buy one. A lot of time in bending and planning. These things should last forever, I added Linex coating to my ranchhand to combat Wisconsin's salty winters.
BTW, I paid $900 for mine, with the truck listing just under $49,000 the bumper cost is minuscule ;)

My $ .02