PDA

View Full Version : Lighted Visors, Radio Controls, Homelink In!!/pictures

sonofagun
03-09-2002, 19:33
Went to Houston today. Met with Jason of jpcustoms.com. He installed his very well designed
Suburban-type double sun visors (lighted on both sides -- by gum), home link system and the steering wheel stereo controls. All work very well. Love the mute button on the radio controls. The last vestige of commercials that get to my ears has been torpedoed!! He has a very fertile mind and is working on a bunch of other great systems. It would have taken me a weekend to install what it took him 4 hours to do (I spend 8 hours on the road and got to watch him do the installs and I be free tomorrow). Nothing was really hard, his intructions are first rate. Check his site. If I wasn't close to Houston I would have no concerns ordering the parts and doing the work myself. The sun visors are a gift from the Gods!! Shame on GM for putting such cr** on our trucks when they have such systems readily available. I would highly recommend you view Jason's site, give him a call, it's well worth it.

Bob

[ 03-10-2002: Message edited by: son of a gun ]</p>

CALIMAX
03-10-2002, 11:19
son of a gun, I'm interested in the visores & home limk systems. Can you give more details on the install, are the visors a direct replacement or is there a filler piece where the old visors mounted. Any details are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

sonofagun
03-10-2002, 11:37
Calimax,

The visors mount in the original left hole and a new one on the right. The old hole gets plugged with a plastic plug which doesn't quite cover the hole. When the second visor (smaller one) is in place you can't see the cap or the hole. The Install for the visors (and the other stuff is easy - once I watched Jason -- I can say that). Measure the required distance from the door (at the headliner) and from the windshield, poke a small hole with an exacto knife find the metal hole in the roof inner liner then widen the hole out. There is a metal clip retaining hole in the inner metal ceiling liner. Install the new visor retainer clip and bracket and you're done. The wiring runs up the plastic channel along the window from dash to roofline. For the homelink, just take out the swing door for your personal garage door opener and install the home link system. The wiring is straight forward too. Pull the black rubber molding away from the top of the front door at the headliner. There is a channel in the roof inner liner (between it and the headliner) that you can snake the wiring through to the home link. Jason includes very complete instructions for where to hook the wires up. My truck already had the homelink wiring in place, all we had to do was hook it up.

Good luck,

Bob

CALIMAX
03-10-2002, 16:29
Bob, Thanks for the info. I hope my truck has the wiring already there for the homelink. I will give Jason a call this week. Not sure what GM was thinking when they put that button there for a door opener. I have yet to find a opener that fits that holder & lines up with the button. I think it's been over 10 years since they made the larger door openers. I wonder if the homelink will work in my wifes grand prix? I guess I will have to ask Jason.

mdrag
03-10-2002, 21:13
son of a gun,

Looks great!! That was a good idea to drive to Houston and let Jason install everything. You should have done a 'ONE OF EACH ITEM PLEASE' while you were at it... :D :D

sonofagun
03-11-2002, 11:35
MDRAG,

He's working on list NO.2. I want a headphone system, the backup alarm system, a better fog light system.............. any other ideas?
What about your headliner? Did you work hard on getting a two tone effect?????? smile.gif

Bob

[ 03-11-2002: Message edited by: son of a gun ]</p>

SoCalDMAX
03-11-2002, 15:51
Bob,

Looks GREAT! I bet the wife REALLY loves it, too.

I noticed in your pics that the new hole was closer to the centerline of the truck. Dos the new visor mount cover the old hole also?

Is the old hole visible from the driver's seat with the visor either up or down? I'm kinda interested in doing this and your pics sure answered a lot of questions.

Regards, Steve

sonofagun
03-12-2002, 15:44
SoCal,

The old hole is covered with a plastic cap. Both holes in my headliner were bigger than the cap could cover. However, when the second (smaller) visor is in place you can't see the cap or the hole from any spot I was sitting in on drivers or passengers side. They cover every sq. inch of the side window (and I sit all the way back). Can't say enough about them. Would willingly tackle the install with Jason's parts and instructions. It would be really hard to screw up. Tighten up your shorts when you make that cut in the headliner .. he he. It isn't hard, measure make a small cut, probe for the clip opening in the inner metal roof, and widen the hole out just enough for the new bracket and clip to be pressed into place.

Go for it.

Good luck,

Bob

[ 03-12-2002: Message edited by: son of a gun ]</p>

TXAtty
03-12-2002, 18:00
Son of a Gun -

I am also from S.A. - and may be interested in the lighted visors, etc.

If it is not too much trouble to ask, could I check out the installation of the equipment in your truck some time in the near future?

Lee

SoCalDMAX
03-13-2002, 00:15
SOG,

Thanks for the info! Your XM install also looks fantastic, it looks factory up there! You've got me talked into XM, just waiting for an affordable portable unit to move between cars and house.

Regards, Steve

sonofagun
03-14-2002, 15:36
Lee,

Thought that was your message on the phone today. Call me again when you get a chance. I'd be happy to show you the work done on the visors.

Bob

bigbobed
05-28-2002, 19:48
son of a gun
I would be interested in the details of your xm installation. Which antenna did you use? If the wired one, how did you get it inside?
Were you able to remove the overhead console to do the wiring?

Thanks,

Bob

sonofagun
05-29-2002, 15:28
Bigbobed,

The overhead console comes down by removing a screw at the windshield end. You still have to fish the wire along the headliner. There is a channel that runs from the drivers door trim area (peal the rubber trim away carefully and you'll see the channel, it's mid door). I used a coat hanger, taped the wire from the XM receiver to it (lots of tape so it doesn't hang up on the headliner material) then ran the wire down the interior windshield trim.

I initially bought the exterior antenna but could not come up with an acceptable way to get the wiring outside and then couldn't decide where to stick it. I finally went with the window mount unit. Some say it won't stay on so I bought some heavy duty trim double sided tape and doubled the original tape before I put it on. It is a big antenna and has suprising little tape coverage over the window. I covered as much as I could with the tape. I made sure the outer edge around the antenna was well sealed to the rear window (used a plastic putty knive to mash the tape in tightly. I cut it a little oversize to allow for this. You could also use a little silicone). It has been on in Texas heat and lots of rain and hasn't budged.

Good luck,
Bob

Tommy turbo
05-30-2002, 17:44
For what it is worth I run my wired XM antennea through the back of cab at the center brake light . No problem.

bigbobed
05-30-2002, 20:10
How did you avoid leaks?