PDA

View Full Version : CB install or not?

NorCalDMAX
03-08-2002, 15:17
Howdy.
I have a question on CB's. I know this was posted sometime back but search was not working for me.
I am considering a CB..I do not talk alot on one but would be nice to have on the road when towing and traveling to a race.

Since most of you guys use them, I would like a very small unit.

Another question, same line of thought..Does anyone use a handheld portable?. Do they work good? I have seen the GE unit and it appears nice. If you use a handheld. What model is the best.

I may go with the hand held since my use will be very small...

Here is a real Novice question about CB's..what is the range of one?

Thanks for all your inputs

Alli-max
03-08-2002, 15:48
Here is the one I bought. Best price I could find too. http://www.alfenterprises.com/cobra_75wxst_classic_weatherband_cb_rad.htm

I am using a Wilson antannae (4 foot). This company also stocks these. It is probably the smallest you can get with decent range. Problem with these: Cant really tune them. But range is subject to atmospheric conditions. Sometimes 1 mile is good, other times 5-6 miles. Never know. If you install it properly, (make sure you have solid grounds) you will have a nice, but not TOP of the line CB. I like this model, and it works for me just fine.

Good luck!

Maverick
03-08-2002, 16:54
I had a Galaxy 33 in my 18 wheeler that was tuned and peaked and ran one 5' Francis antenna. I got out 23 miles one night. That radio could talk. My Uniden PC66 in my Duramax gets out about 6-8 miles. I run a Wilson antenna. There is not much interference in the air up here.

The hand held units that I have tried are all junk. You might get out 1 mile if your lucky. The best way to get a small, good, cheap radio is ar Walmart or Kmart. Find a Uniden 510XL. I would go with any SWR adjustable antenna that you wish. I would get a K40 mag mount or a Wilson mag mount. All of this will cost you around $100 to $130 bucks. Just speaking from experience.

Cal. has alot of interference in the air. I think truckers in LA area run on ch.17.

dmaxstu
03-08-2002, 23:14
NorCalDMAX
I have a couple of handheld CBs that we use around the campground for that they work pretty good.Once out on the road following a friend in his motorhome we could hear him but he could not hear us. So in that respect they are kind of useless.
I have been looking for a regular CB as well for caravanning with other folks. It looks like our friend from Alaska can steer us straight Stu

[ 03-08-2002: Message edited by: dmaxstu ]</p>

8.1PWR
03-09-2002, 08:30
You'll probably pay as much for a hand held as you would for a dash mount. Hand helds typically run from 1/2 to 1 watt output where as your dash mount will typically run 4 to 5 watt output. If you buy a good dash mount (Cobra/Uniden) they can be tweeked to put out a little more wattage(illegal). Right now the sun flares are causing alot of back ground noise so I would suggest that you get a radio that has squelch and RF gain controls so you can adjust out back groung noise but keep some range. Right now here in NM day time receiving range is down to about a mile even with a good radio, range goes up at night and on cloudy days you can sometimes talk on skip.

CALIMAX
03-09-2002, 10:19
Norcal,
If you are looking for more range I might be able to help you out. Let me know.

TxDoc
03-09-2002, 13:45
Two suggestions for the CB.
1. There are models with the main radio unit that can be mounted under your seat or out of site. The microphone contains all of the controls. That would be more compact than the hand-held unit.

2. SoMnDuramax came up with this great idea for an external mount that looks factory and will allow for good transmit and recieve performance.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=640490&uid=136857&members=1

"The bracket is made out of a piece of 1"x1"x1/8" angle iron and a piece of 1"x1/8" flat iron. It bolts on to the two rearmost fender bolts. As for the plastic cover, I bought a second one (they cost about $15), and carefully cut the slot with my die grinder. "

"The bracket is actually quite stout, as I havent had any problems with it yet. I origionally made this bracket for my '99 Silverado, and it's had a 3' Fire Stick stuck in it for probably 40,000 miles"

Hope that helps.

[ 03-09-2002: Message edited by: TxDoc ]</p>

Viking
03-09-2002, 16:26
I use a Cobra cb/wx model and a 4ft antenna with a magnet mount in the center of the roof. Works for me.

NorCalDMAX
03-10-2002, 22:12
CALIMAX,
Yes I would like some help. I would primarily like to use it when caravaning and so on. I have Motorola walkie talkies. They work just fine but the darn batteries go bad all the time and have no DC plug in to make them functional.
I thought a CB would be the best way but I do not want some intrusive unit as it would be just for road trips. A plug in and out would be nice.

E-mail me and lets see what you got..

JP

NutNbutGMC
03-10-2002, 22:15
^... Uniden 510 XL Kit. Includes a CB radio (40 channel), a magnetic mount antenna with coaxal lead installed and a 12 V plug-in. It's all ready to go. Dollars 40 + tax. Doesn't get any simplier than this set-up. The range is more than adequate. I use these every day, in various vehicles. I slide my radio down between the passenger seat and the center piece console). Fits perfect and allows for transportable use between vehicles.

[ 03-10-2002: Message edited by: NutNbutGMC ]</p>

mdrag
03-11-2002, 00:36
NutNbutGMC,

Would you mind posting the dimensions on the Uniden 510? I need L x W x D.

I've been looking for a small CB to put in the CD holder area of the center console. Five inches wide or so is the max width that would fit in there without some modifications. I haven't checked the depth yet...it would be nice to keep the storage door intact.

I checked the websites for Uniden, Cobra, and Midland, and for some reason, Uniden and Midland do not have dimension listed and I've not sent them an email yet.

There is a small Cobra 19DX III that seems to fit the width requirement at 4.5".

http://www.shopcobra.com/product.asp?sku=1755750

Thanks. :D

NorCalDMAX
03-11-2002, 08:29
MDRAG,
I dug around a bit more and found this info on the Uniden Pro 520XL unit. The dimensions are the same as the 510XL.

Pro 520 XL 40 Channel CB Radio

Compact Design with Several Advanced Features

Volume and Squelch Controls
RF Gain Control
LED Channel Display
Digital S/RF Meter
Instant Channel 9 Switch
Transmit Indicator
Screw-On Mic Connector
PA
1-3/8" x 4-1/2" x 6-3/4"

I like the Cobra model you posted as well. The Uniden model appears a bit deeper but the Uniden is thinner and smaller in width...It's all about packaging. I suppose performance wise they are all pretty close....The Uniden 510XL is $54.95, the 520XL is $69.95 and the Cobra is $79.95... Ahh but alas..... let us not forget the "infamous" Shipping and Handling costs we have all come to know and love....HAHAHAHAHAHA

Also real quick favor, I am going to rotate the tires on my Dually...or as you refer to it as "Big Dooley :D . What are the lug nut specs again for torqueing purposes?..My search feature does not work and I know this was posted.

Thanks

[ 03-11-2002: Message edited by: NorCalDMAX ]</p>

NorCalDMAX
03-11-2002, 08:46
Alright...Next question on this CB discussion and Again I know this was posted but search feature not working,
What CB antannae is preferred? Again nothing obtrusive with a 7 foot whip and where I have to cut holes in the truck.

Man I love this page...you guys are a tremendous help.

Oh and BTW, I found the Cobra unit as low as $43.00...man already saved 36 bucks... :eek:

mdrag
03-11-2002, 08:49
NorCalDMAX,

Thanks for that info. I thought the Uniden 5xx would fit, so looks like I have a few choices. The Cobra and Uniden look like they have very similar features...

Here is a link to previous posts on the lug nut torque:

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=002305&p=

Page 3-94 Vol 1 of 5 2001 Helm's manual agrees with numbers in above posts:
Dual wheel nuts 240 N-m 175 lb-ft
Single wheel nuts 190 N-m 140 lb-ft
Spare tire hoist retaining bolt 40N-M 30 lb-ft

Have fun rotating... ;) :D

Alli-max
03-11-2002, 09:19
On the antannae, go with a 3 foot or a 4 foot fiberglass type. I am using a Wilson 4 footer. Reason I went with this length was because I mounted it to the inside wall of the bed, asnd I wanted to get the antannae above the cab for range. That is a MUST. But, I think I would be happier with SoMnDmax's setup with a 3 footer.

mdrag
03-12-2002, 17:01
Found a few links with good prices on CB equipment:

http://www.electronicsoutpost.com/cbradio.htm

http://www.wearecb.com

wearecb.com offers to 'peak and tweak' the radio for maximun performance - an extra $10. I've not dealt with either vendor...yet. ;)

GREAT idea for a separate accessory forum!!! :D :D

SoMnDMAX
03-13-2002, 02:05
Guys, I've been trying to get the time set aside to get my truck into the shop again to pull the bracket out. Hopefully I can have some pics and dimensions for all of you.

battmain
03-13-2002, 19:49
I run a Cobra with weather channel. It was 39 on sale somewhere. Can't remember. One thing to consider is the placement of the speaker. This unit has it on the front and it points directly at me in the drivers seat. That way you can easily hear it. Get a good antenna. The one I have is a magnetic mount because I don't want the unit installed for the commute back and forth to work. While the magnetic antenna works, it does limit my range to about 2.5 miles average, up to 5 on a good clear day. I only use/install it when I travel to the races. Weather channel(s) helps decide when to put on rain tires. smile.gif I agree the opinions on the handhelds. Not enough range unless the unit allows a proper external antenna.
Radio Shack used to carry a model of the remote models, although their prices are usually a little higher.

Brian

Hound
03-13-2002, 21:01
SoMnDMAX,

Since you posted those pics I've been dying to see the entire mount!! It definitely looks great. In fact I was looking at the cowling to see how to make something like that work. Hope to see more great ideas and great pics!

NutNbutGMC
03-13-2002, 21:10
^...mdrag, sorry I missed the call, but I see NoCal was helpful in what you were looking for. If you want to understand antennas a bit more, look on firestick.com. They go into full detail as to what is what, in the antenna dept., however, I still use the magnet mount, as it is very portable. Actually, I have an antenna in 3 vehicles and use two radios that I swap back and forth. I usually just put the antenna(s) inside of the vehicle when not in use.

[ 03-13-2002: Message edited by: NutNbutGMC ]</p>

bbugg
03-14-2002, 17:06
I installed a Cobra Classic Weatherband CB Radio - 75 WX ST. It has the radio and speaker in a handheld mic. It works fine, doesn't require much space and would be fine for a caravan. I put a 3' flexible antenna on the roof, which unscrews when I'm not using it.
I was surprised on how flimsy the roof is on my GMC. Chevy's have a stronger roof as they threw a few ribs in the roof. DON'T run it through a car wash!!!

Colorado Kid
03-14-2002, 19:05
Actually it is the Crew Cabs that have the ribbed roof, and the Extended Cab and Regular Cab do not.

NutNbutGMC
03-14-2002, 20:20
^...SoMn, I await patiently for the pics.

But HURRY UP! I need to do this project this weekend! :D :D
Thank you!

SoMnDMAX
03-15-2002, 03:46
Nut, e-mail me. I got 'em.

[ 03-15-2002: Message edited by: SoMnDMAX ]</p>

sonofagun
03-15-2002, 11:46
Another really good site for CBs is
http://www.exportradios.com
Don't let the name fool you. Good Texas company with great support, knowledgable people, lots of product and good pricing. They will peak and tweek a radio for you too.

Good luck,

Bob

Joe Pool
03-16-2002, 14:51
Another good sight for CB radios & accessories is

https://www.valcoelectronics.com

Joe

[ 03-16-2002: Message edited by: Joe Pool ]</p>

NutNbutGMC
03-16-2002, 16:14
^...SoMn.... I know we have exchanged e-mail and all, but I'd like to thank you, here on the forum for the information that you sent me. I got hung up here at the house with another (unexpected) project this weekend, however, I'll fab the mounting bracket ASAP. Thank you again for your kindness, the time you took to organize and send, and the detailed information. It's got every detail, except for the size of the fillet weld... (J/K... referring to another post where I spouted off about welding a dang cross member).
Regards,
Chuck

[ 03-23-2002: Message edited by: NutNbutGMC ]</p>

SoMnDMAX
03-17-2002, 01:56
Thanks for the kind words!!

Weld it as you wish... ;)

Hound
03-20-2002, 21:05
SoMnDMAX,

If you get a chance to post those diagrams soon it would MUCH appreciated as I REALLY like the way you set that up :D . I've got to get my radio installed in my new 2500HD D/A soon and I like the way your antenna mount looks much better than my back bumper mounting method. Thanks for the great pics!!

SoMnDMAX
03-21-2002, 02:26
Hound, e-mail me-

SoMnDMAX @ Yahoo.com

Hound
03-22-2002, 18:04
SoMnDMAX,

I shot you an e-mail :D

SoMnDMAX
03-23-2002, 11:46
Check your inboxes... You have mail... :cool:

Hound
03-23-2002, 12:14
SoMnDMAX,

WOW!!! You definitely made that WELL detailed!! I think I'll give it a go and if I have problems, I'll be gettin ahold of ya ;) Thanks VERY much for the work and great instructions smile.gif :D :D

[ 03-23-2002: Message edited by: Hound ]</p>

PJD15X
03-24-2002, 19:49
Hi SoMnDMAX;
I have been following this thread and are also interested in how you fabricated the antenna mount. Look Great. I would like to put on on my new truck. I will shoot you a email and would appreciate it if you could forward the information.
Just picked it up Friday at Ande Chevrolet in Lawrenceburg, Indiana, and drove back to florida. Hardest part was keeping the speed down for 1st 500 miles. Best experience I ever had purchasing a vehicle. Everyone at the agency was very helpful.
http://www.ande.com
Salesman:, Rick Probst. Not a relative, but very friendly and no BS--- like some of the others

Thanks in advance:
PJD15X

NutNbutGMC
03-24-2002, 20:05
^..PJ, If ya' want the antenna mount tonight and SoMn doesn't hop on it, I have his e-mail that I'll forward to you. crb862@aol.com

[ 03-24-2002: Message edited by: NutNbutGMC ]</p>

SoMnDMAX
03-25-2002, 00:14
Got it.....

PJD15X
03-25-2002, 08:23
Thanks guys, you have all been very helpful.
Received the information and photos. I will work on it later this week when I get a little more free time. Have to go for a little ride in my new truck. Never thought an "Old Fart" like me, (72) would get so excited over a new truck, but I am!!!!!!
Almost as exciting as getting to ride in my old race car, NASCAR Modified 15X, that was restored after 25 years.

PJD15X :D