PDA

View Full Version : Escalade Inst. Cluster

MYDMAX
03-06-2002, 20:49
Last weekend I installed a Esc.Inst.Cluster in my Dmax Truck. It looks so good,it makes me drive my Truck even more.Now comes the problem, since I inst. the Cluster I have the check Eng. Light on.
I scannt the Truck yesterday and it gives me a Code #1634,(Wait to start indicator control circuit).The Esc.Inst.Cluster dont have this circuit.In the next day or so I will work on this problem and see if I come up with a solution.
I will keep you all posted.
Adi G.

SDWA
03-06-2002, 21:15
The ECM is probably checking for resistance across the circuit to the WTS lamp, and is finding an open circuit (zero resistance) since none exists on the new cluster.

You'll have to find out what that resistance was on the original cluster for the WTS light circuit ("loop"), find that loop's wires in the body-side harness (before new cluster) and splice a resistor (of equal value to what you found the original cluster had) across those wires to simulate a working bulb is in place. I'm assuming there's 2 wires involved, probably a common ground and one for the WTS bulb.

Or, maybe that's not the problem. That would be MY guess.

Scott

MYDMAX
03-06-2002, 22:58
Thank you Scott, I'll try this and let you know -
Adi

DSLPOWR
03-07-2002, 02:44
Quick question: Does your tach show correctly? In the dmax the tach only goes to 5k and the gassers it goes to 6k. Is yours correct or is it off a little? Wondering if the gage cluster itself determines this. I am thinking of doing this mod myself here soon and would appreciate and info.

Carli_max
03-07-2002, 08:30
Dumb Question : How do you know when to start the truck?? :D

kanton1
03-07-2002, 10:19
Chane stated that the mileage reads 0 after doing the swap. Is that true with your cluster?

Kyle

BMDMAX
03-07-2002, 12:22
I sent a request using the form at the j p c u s t o m s.com website asking these questions and I never got a reply. I was worried about the loss of the wait to start light and it looks like for a good reason! I also have done some research and the mileage will reset to 0 as this is tracked at the cluster, not by the ECM from what I have found so far.

Hopefully someone can come up with a work-around as those gauges do look sweet!

Timberline
03-07-2002, 17:37
This is something that I have been wanting to do as well but I was concerned about how the tach would read.
Let us know if the tach is reading correctly.

chane
03-07-2002, 20:43
BMDMAX,

Send Jason @ JPCustoms.com another email.. jpcustoms@jpcustoms.com

MYDMAX
03-07-2002, 21:44
In reply to your posts:
The tach is reading correctly and also reads the signal which is sent.

Hello Carly_max
To answer your question - I know when to start my truck - I count to five and turn the key - or should I count to six ?? (ha,ha)
BTW - I use my remote start most of the time.

The new instrument cluster starts at zero miles (like a brand new truck all over again)

I will work on the check engine light issue in the next few days and keep you all posted on the proper fix.
** But the instrument cluster sure looks good in the truck **

dmaxster
03-07-2002, 22:35
as for the wait to start (wts) it has LED's in the instrament cluster of the stock cluster...however when using LED's you have to have a resister in series with the LED's...I believe that the resistor is 250 ohms?? I think....I just hooked up my 4x4 lite in my cluster because I have push button 4x4 and it has a resistor in series with it....the wts lite wire is dark blue in the wiring harness for the IC and is grounded when lit and has 12v positive when off....dmaxster hope this helps.... :cool:

BMDMAX
03-08-2002, 07:54
Chane,

Will do. Thanks for the address.

Brandon

BMDMAX
03-12-2002, 18:34
After some emails I traded with Jason at J P C U S T O M S.com we concluded that the cluster will only work on the gasser as it sets a trouble code on the Dmax. (No Wait to Start light) :mad:

Maybe some of you guys can come up with a solution but unless there is some creative wiring or an update on the gauge cluster module that can be done we are ska-rewed. Too bad as they look really nice. :(

taarciag
03-16-2002, 13:46
BMDMAX,
Hope a workaround comes up for us Duramaxers who want the Escalade guage, I almost put an order for one yesterday. "It does look nice!" :D
Thanks for the info and keep us posted if anything new comes up regarding a workaround.
Thx,

Petrella
03-18-2002, 21:11
How much does the escalade gauge cluster go for???

Anthony

MYDMAX
03-19-2002, 20:35
To answer your question - I ordered my Escalade cluster from a local Chevy dealer and paid $ 258.00
I have been really busy lately and was not able to work on my "check engine" light issue. Tomorrow I will be leaving for Europe for 2 weeks, but will tackle the problem when I come back.

Adi

JF
03-27-2002, 14:28
After having my instrument cluster apart to