PDA

View Full Version : inverter questions

wangotango
03-13-2002, 23:32
The current talk about dual alternators has made me think of adding an inverter to my truck. Never know when you may have to plug in a TV, microwave, or blender.

And now a few questions:

1) what brand and what rating/duty does anyone have on their trucks

2) I assume that the unit can "invert" under conditions of not having the engine running to a point when the batteries become too weak..true?

3) dual alternators will charge up batteries sooner or provide more amps available to inverter or the second alternator can be dedicated to the inverter..true?

4)wouldn't battery isolation be an issue as far as over-charging or general damage

5) with all the electonics onboard these days wouldn't it be best to have a GM shop install these parts in order to avoid warranty issues?

6) what ever happened to Betamax?

As always, I appreciate your input.

w/t

RONCLYDE
03-14-2002, 11:49
Right now i have an 1800 model from statpower. hhttp://www.xantrex.com/Products/Inverters/Prosine/prosine1800.html It works fine, has an low voltage cut off. The dual alternator set-up allows higher output at idle than the single alt setup. Remember that a single hi output alternator does not have as much output at low rpms as the dual setup. The DC draw varies with the AC load on the unit. The unit will also operate when the vehicle is not running but the working time will be reduced based on load and voltage. I hope this info helps U out.

battmain
03-14-2002, 13:13
I'm running a 400 watt with 800 peak. It runs a 14" heavy duty fan, but the fan struggles to start. I usually have to help it start. If I hook it up the outdoor extension cord, it will not start. Simply not enough power and the overload light flashes. I'm sure a fan with a lighter rated motor wouldn't be a problem. The laptop and 9 inch tv runs fine as does the cell phone charger. I hook up a digital voltmeter and watch the voltage if I'm using it without the engine running. Usually start the engine for a little when the voltage reaches 12.0 volts. Microwave I think might overload a 400 watt unit, so consider a higher rated inverter. Home Depot is selling them now. As for installing the unit, I use either a cigarette lighter plug or battery clamps depending on what is running. Never liked betamax. smile.gif

Brian

RONCLYDE
03-14-2002, 14:13
depending on the motor it could easily take up to 4 times the running amps to start. your inverter can only handle a 3.3 amp load or 6.6 amp to start. look on the nameplate of the motor and you should see the ratings of the motor. the other thing you may want to try is larger-shorter cables to the inverter. For one the size i am using i have 00 welding cable to the inputs. if you are looking for a larger one figure what the most wattage you need and get one about 25% larger. unfortunately the larger they get (wattage) the larger (Physically) they get and you may run out of room to mount it, not to mention the more expensive they get. my 2cw.

NutNbutGMC
03-14-2002, 22:28
^.. Ron, what did that gizmo set ya' back?

RONCLYDE
03-15-2002, 06:48
Well its a long story with too few words. it was a return favor for work that was done. i think they go for about 1100.00. i just saw somewhere where you can get a comprable model for about 700. Although the less expensive ones are not true sine wave output units, depending on what you are powering it may not really matter.

NutNbutGMC
03-15-2002, 19:09
^.. Thank you.

NutNbutGMC
03-16-2002, 16:19
^... Wanger Tanger, where did ya' mount that thAng?