PDA

View Full Version : OPD

INDI-GO
03-16-2002, 02:33
Just a reminder that the small propane cylinders won't be filled after April 1 without an OPD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
203.1.5 Cylinders with 4lb. (1.8kg) thru 40 lb. (18 kg) propane capacity for vapor service shall comply with the following:

(a) Cylinders fabricated after September 30, 1998 shall be equipped with a listed overfilling prevention device and a fixed maximum liquid level gauge.
(b) Cylinders requalified after Spetember 30, 1998 shall be equipped with an overfilling prevention device and a fixed maximum liquid level gauge.
(c) Effective April 1, 2002 no cylinder shall be filled unless it is equipped with an overfilling prevention device and a fixed maximum liquid level gauge.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Off topic but wanted to post a reminder.

[ 03-16-2002: Message edited by: INDI-GO ]</p>

NutNbutGMC
03-16-2002, 08:39
^...does this mean ya' can't get gas for the backyard BB-Q grill? :D

bigbobed
03-16-2002, 08:49
See the following link. Seems not all states have adopted the rule.
http://www.npga.org/public/articles/index.html?Cat=56

NutNbutGMC
03-16-2002, 08:56
^..Thank you for the link.

INDI-GO
03-16-2002, 09:31
Thanks for that link also. You might know I have about 10 of those old tanks at the hunting camp and will just have to buy new ones. Cost more than the price of a new tank to change out the valves. Gett em filled up one last time I guess.

Ironhead
03-16-2002, 11:44
hey INDI-GO, I heard of some guys just taking them to one of those places that exchange the tanks (Empty for full) and getting back the new style just for the price of the propane. I dont think there is a place like that around me though or I would do it.

Luis
03-17-2002, 07:50
Good Info. for all of us to consider. Thanks Indi-Go! Look on your old tanks. There should be a Hydrostatic test date. If the tank is old, (test date) and/or does not have the new opd style valve, just get a new one and dispose of the old tank (in the proper manner required by law). Give it to the propane people if unsure, DON'T JUST THROW IT AWAY! It's not worth the risk of a ruptured tank to save a few bucks! These things can KILL.
Let's all be safe. Later....Luis ;)

NutNbutGMC
03-17-2002, 17:30
^..............Luis, what gives with a hydrostatic test on these tanks? I'm asking because I don't know how the tanks are tested, however, I would have guessed a pneumatic pressure test. Help me see the light, please?

[ 03-17-2002: Message edited by: NutNbutGMC ]</p>

david
03-17-2002, 17:34
Why not make air tanks out of them????? :eek: :D

DonG
03-17-2002, 19:05
NutNbutGMC,

Tanks are usually hydrostatically tested (water) because if it fails, water spills out and the pressure is instantly gone. If you pressure test with a gas (air), a leak could cause the tank to become a rocket. Not Good!!!

Don