PDA

View Full Version : Roll Top Covers

johns
03-16-2002, 11:16
Now that the truck is about here, it's time to start planning the add-ons.

Anyone here have a roll top cover. I have a PaceEdwards on my Ford. I was looking at the Roll-N-Lock but the dealer near me is recommending the Retrax. I have no info on Retrax except what I see on their web page.

Any experience here with the Roll-N-Lock or Retrax?

Lone Eagle
03-16-2002, 22:39
johns, I have a Roll-N-Lock. The only thing I don't like is the lock. It has to be locked with a key every time in every position. The lock is straight up and freezes. They don't make a non locking optional handle. Later! Lone Eagle

NJDMAX
03-17-2002, 21:36
Johns,
I'm planning on getting a roll top cover soon. Do you like the Pace Edwards? What are the pros and cons also?
Thanks.

Kennedy
03-17-2002, 23:22
I have a Pace Edwards on my 96 and like it OK, but the BUTT seal on the tailgate is one STUPID design.

I went with the Retrax and like it so far. It seals on top of the tailgate so everything blows off. It also has a dam in front that seals to the awkward looking cover lid.

None of them seal perfectly, but the Retarx is one of the better ones. Just gotta keep people from playing touchy feely and scratching it...

AKDmax
03-18-2002, 00:54
Kennedy,
You have any trouble with the cover freezing? Thinking about a retrax but want to be able to use it year round.

MaxDMax
03-18-2002, 05:43
Johns,
I have had a Retrax for about 2 months. It seems to be top quality. I keep my truck in the garage at night, and have not had any problem with it freezing so far. I can see how it could freeze in the rght coditions. We have had plenty of very cold days living in Ky., but the conditions would have to be just right for it to freeze up, it does not seem to be a problem here.

johns
03-19-2002, 21:22
I like the PaceEdwards enough but the seal at the tailgate is OK at best. The box doesn't drain properly and holds alot of water. Never had a problem operating it winter, spring, summer or fall. Even had 6" of wet sloppy snow on it and no problem. The Roll-N-Lok seemed to have better construction, at least visually. Which is why i asked.

NJDMAX
03-19-2002, 21:29
Johns,
Thanks for the input on the Pace Edwards cover.Where did you order your truck from? I work in Flemington it will be good to see more Duramaxes in the area.Thanks again. smile.gif

Nut4Trucks
03-20-2002, 09:41
Don't know anything about the Retrax, but I researched this topic ad nauseum 2 years ago when I bought my 2000 Z71. I looked at every possible type and brand of cover. My conclusion was Roll-n-Lock. It seemed to be of heavier construction than the Pace Edwards. Instead of polymer underneath it has an aluminum substructure under the padded laminate, also at the time in was the only one with a no-drill clamp on installation. I don't like drillin on my trucks, ever. Based on my conclusion a friend put one on his 2000 Ram Sport and he loves it. He helped a friend install a pace edwards the other day on a Sport Trac and he thanked me for talking him into a Roll-n-Lock he said the PE seemed cheap and flimsy to him. The drum is plastic and not metal as it should be in my opinion. Just my opinion for what it is worth, Roll-n-Locks aren't cheap though, good luck in your quest for knowledge.

johns
03-20-2002, 14:12
NJDMAX

I ordered fom Washington, NJ (Warren County). Today is the "official" delivery date. I should be here any day now.

I will most likely go with the Roll-N-Lok unless the Retrax blows me away.

Kennedy
03-20-2002, 23:00
My observations:

Vinyl/aluminum covers will leave aluminum streaks on the cover material if left rolled up and driven.

The Pace Edwards cover allows leaves and crap into canister. Also the drain fittings just drop into place and can float free/leak.

Any cover can freeze, but so long as there isn't snow/ice buildup sitting on the surface, neither of mine have frozen.

The Retrax rails are parallel, and adjustable to control side play. This exposes a varying amount of the bed rail.

The Retrax rails bolt to the canister making it a very simple (2 person) job to lift out as an assembly.

I haven't found the perfect cover, but the Retrax is pretty darn nice.

AVfan
03-21-2002, 15:09
Have been quite happy with the Retrax. Observations-Kennedy did a good job.

James S
03-24-2002, 10:01
Hey Guys,

If you are in the market for a great bed cover, go to:
www.peragon.com
There bed cover is the best you can get on the market. It is vertually water proof, looks great, no drilling, lockable, etc. There is also no cylinder that it roles in to, so it takes up almost no space at the back of the bed. Good luck.

James

shft22
03-24-2002, 11:26
Has any one had the Peragon cover that can comment on it's construction and use, can it be locked at different position? Any information will be appreciated>>>>thank you....Jorge :rolleyes:

Dakota
03-24-2002, 11:36
Have had a Retrax since last fall...so far has been working great.

mdrag
03-24-2002, 19:17
I have the RnL and very pleased with it after 7 months. It did freeze up on me in Cleveland OH over the holidays - rain turned to freezing rain and then temps dropped quickly etc..but the tailgate froze solid also. So, if the conditions are just right - almost anything can freeze up. :D