PDA

View Full Version : Add on back-up lights

Luis
03-17-2002, 07:35
I've seen sets of aux. back up lights that are sold at local auto parts stores. These lights are low profile and clean looking. They mount to the receiver and connect directly into the wire harnes. They come on when the gear selector is placed in "R". The only problem with this set up is the bracket is "L" shaped for the square tube receivers not the circular tube receiver on the new trucks. Are there any after market lights simular to theese which are easy to install and mount? Any other ideas or suggestions as to wattage, type etc?
Thanks to all in advance.

NickLeinonen
03-18-2002, 15:12
for aux. back up lamps on my tahoe, i put in a pair of tractor lamps that are 35w each [i think?] i mounted them on either side of my reciever, but i have the square kind. they are not bright enough i think, but they were like $5.00cdn each at the truck shop so it's not too bad. when they burn out, i am going to try to get some 100w driving or fog or spot lamps and try to mount them in the same spot. i just ran the power to them from the constent power that is avalable in my 7 way plug. i tapped the reverse light line on the drivers side tail light with one of those plastic wire tee things. i use the current from the original back up lights to turn on a relay i have mounted to the back of the factory tail light, and the back up lights then get the power from the constent 20A power line i have in the 7 way.
in pic below, you can see where i mounted mine

"http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v5/2/32/98/33523298prJwyv_fs.jpg"

[ 03-18-2002: Message edited by: NickLeinonen ]</p>

Luis
03-19-2002, 06:22
Nick...Thanks...Sounds like a plan. I'll start on it this weekend.
Luis smile.gif

schnier
03-19-2002, 11:32
I just added the reverse light kit from the auto discount store for $28.00. They are 55w halogen lights and 2" x 4" in size. I mounted them to the bottom of the bumper even though they give you wire tie mounts for the hitch area. They are spliced to the center wire (light green) of the 7 pin receptacle and come on automatically in reverse mode. I think they shine a lot better than stock and help at night with tinted windows.

Lawnboy
03-22-2002, 09:48
I have the same type of lights as Nick does, only I mounted mine on TOP of my bumper. Directly under the factory tail/bu lights. They still clear the tailgate fine, and now that I moved them up there, they no longer get broken when snowplowing. I used to back up into a snowbank and I would find the pieces in the spring!

You also may want to use a seperate switch/relay for them. They are also handy when hitching up at night. This way you just flick the (lighted) dash switch and you have light when you need it, not just with the trans in Reverse.

Sorry no pics, and I also don't know if the bumper/tailight/tailgate arrangement is the same on the newer trucks.

pullinpower
03-22-2002, 10:14
Hey luis,I used a set of john deere lights and mounted them under the bumper and wired in a switch.helps alot at night with tinted windows.

Luis
03-22-2002, 20:32
Thanks everyone! All the ideas are great and now I have more options too choose from. Thats what is so great about this fourm; it's members! :cool:

Pendlum
03-29-2002, 23:58
Hey guys, I have one other option that I did on my Silverado a while ago. I hooked up my reverse lights to a factory Aux Lamps switch located in the center pod housing. I have my reverse lights hooked up to the button as well as the back up fog lights. I have them wired so when I put the truck in reverse, it turns on my normal reverse lights as well as the rear fogs. I also have it wired to turn the same lights on when I push the Aux Lamps button in the dash.
It's really handy when you need some light in the rear, but you don't want to put the truck in reverse to get the lights to come on.
I have the instructions at the bottom of my personal website. It tells all the connectors and connections you need. Looks totally factory too.
http://users2.ev1.net/~jpendlum/

Luis
03-30-2002, 07:25
All the info. was great. I went with the 55w 2" X 4" back up light kit, $24.00. Kit was made to go on square receiver tube with plastic ties. Since our oem receivers are round I place the "L" bracket up into the large opening in the bumper with the flat bottom half under the bumper. Drilled piolet holes through bracke and into bumper w/self tapping sheet metel screws. Once holes were tapped I removed bracket and applied a liberal amount of silicone into hole in bumper and to mounting surface of bracket then re-installed. Hope this keeps the rust out. Installed the wire harness and it works great!
After I installed it I decided I'm going to install a relay as described above and have the switch option as well. Lights are good, however when installing them do it in the evening. This way you don't have to wait till dark to adjust them. :D
Thanks again for the different ideas!