PDA

View Full Version : Front hitch Receiver

White Knight
03-18-2002, 05:07
Has anyone installed a front hitch receiver on a 2500HD? I saw one on the Ranch Hand front bunper/grill guard and it looked great. I was thinking of replacing one of the tow hooks with a hitch receiver. The front hitch ball is great for spotting a trailer. It gives you great control to back it into a tight spot.

I'm searching for ideas and suggestions.

Thanks!

OilMan
03-18-2002, 09:39
I have a square reciever hitch welded into the center of my front end replacement bumper. Works out just fine. Gives me a front attachment for a Warn winch, also.

BMDMAX
03-18-2002, 10:03
Hidden Hitch makes a front end kit for the HD trucks. Part # 5004 and runs about a 100 bucks from online retailers. You can check it out at www.hiddenhitch.com.

It looks like a quality setup and they have some cool accessories for it like winch platforms, an engine service step, license plate bracket, skid plate, etc.

It's probably what I would get!

Joe Pool
03-18-2002, 15:51
White Knight,

I have a #5004 Hidden Hitch front mount receiver on my 2002 2500HD. It is well constructed and bolts to the front frame with replacement bolts for the 6 tow hook bolts. The receiver exits just below the center of the air dam. No modifications are made to the vehicle at all. The tow hooks can be left in place or removed if you wish. The receiver carries a #9000 rating. All in all a well made and designed product.

I bought mine from: http://www.accessconnect.com

Joe

sonofagun
03-18-2002, 16:17
joe,

Will it fit if you have a grill guard on the truck?

Bob

Joe Pool
03-18-2002, 17:10
Bob,

The hitch fits below the bumper and the frame. It is mounted to the tow hook mounts from underneath. As long as the grill guard clears the tow hooks I would think that it would work.

Joe

White Knight
03-18-2002, 18:57
Fellows, thanks for the good information about a front hitch receiver. I will check out the Hidden Hitch.

Joe Pool, do you have any photos of your Hidden Hitch installation?

Sam

richp
03-18-2002, 18:59
I've mounted a Reese front receiver on my '01 K2500HD and it pretty much sounds like the one described in the above posts. Fits just a bit too snugly under the plastic trim piece -- I chose to let it push the plastic up a bit instead of notching the plastic.

The only real drawback is that you do lose a bit of ground clearance under the bumper, further reducing the truck's capability to travel over uneven terrain. For my purposes (towing) that is not a problem, but for others it may be something to think about.

For what it's worth.

Rich Phillips
Member #28

White Knight
03-19-2002, 10:43
Joe Pool, how does the height of your front receiver compare to your rear, stock hitch receiver? I'm trying to determine if my ball height would remain the same if I moved my hitch from the rear to the front.

Thanks

Sam

Joe Pool
03-19-2002, 17:51
Sam,

The front receiver hitch measures 12" from the bottom of the opening to the ground and the rear hitch measures 17.25" from the bottom of the opening to the ground. These measurements were made with the truck basically unloaded.
Hope this helps. smile.gif

Joe

White Knight
03-19-2002, 18:44
Joe, thanks for the measurements. That is a big help. I will honk the next time I pass through St. Louis. I went to school at Rolla back in the dark ages.