PDA

View Full Version : Lost My Onstar

Billy14
03-19-2002, 09:08
Installed a Pioneer 7300 Head Unit in my truck with a sub. Stereo sounds wonderful but lost the Onstar capability. Dealer claims the tracking software & such were incorporated in the factory unit & not a separate module. Made my day.
They suggested I hide the factory unit somewhere in the cab. Yeah, right. That would look real nice. I was told by Best Buy that their tech site claims an amplified speaker was all that was needed but that can't be true if the software is in the radio & what about the mic.

Anyone out there have any information on this or another suggestion? Can't believe GM would think all would be happy with their sound system.

2002 - 2500 HD 4x4 CC SB Lt D/A Loaded Out

Billy

Dmax Cutter
03-19-2002, 11:18
In my research for an alternative to the oem sound in my truck, I found it useful to talk to a wide range of installers. The guys that actually worked in the back as opposed to the sales people were the most informed.My understanding of the problems follow.
I found that there were two choices; lose the onstar or pay money and go with a compromise.
The Onstar requires the factory head unit for power and handling, and the drivers side speaker.
If you replace the head unit, you need an Onstar module and an Onstar relay (about $200us). These items are readily available and any good installer will know about them. It would be a big benefit if the outfit had done some of these installs before as well.
If you want to replace speakers in the front, then you will have to add a small speaker in the cab for incoming calls.
The other option is a CD changer with an FM modulator that allows you to keep all existing equipment. This may not give the best technical sound or provide the music range and power that you want. I plan to install an Alpine changer unit (vertically in the console) with an FM modulator and a controller(in the tape deck slot) that is also XM ready. This is a new unit this year and appears to be a good compromise solution for me.
Hope this helps.

bbugg
03-19-2002, 12:18
Not a problem, just get an Onstar module installed. Lots of guys have upgraded their sound systems.

Billy14
03-19-2002, 14:29
Thanks guys,

I'll see if I can run down the Onstar module.

Billy

mdrag
03-20-2002, 17:37
Billy14,

I kept the OEM head unit, upgraded all the speakers, installed a Delco (made by Pioneer) 12 Disc CD changer, and steering wheel audio controls from Jason at www.jpcustoms.com. A 'Y' cable was needed to connect to OnStar and everything works perfectly. Just another option to consider.

If your are interested, more details and pics are available at the link in my sig. :D

sonofagun
03-21-2002, 11:17
Billy,

I upgraded the speakers all around, added an Amp and sub. Made no changes to the Onstar system, it works fine. I do know that you can't change out the head unit without an adaptor but with one Onstar works with almost any new head unit. I agree with MDRAG that Jason at jpcustoms.com is the wizard on this stuff. Shoot him an email.

Good luck,
Bob

LittleBigRig
12-01-2002, 08:54
Son of a Gun,

I noticed that you stuck with the OEM stereo unit, but changed the speakers and added a sub. I really would like to retain the left-right and front-back control on the stock radio, but I would like to add a separate sub-woofer. Did you end up with five channels, i.e., LF, RF, LR, RR, & sub, or something else? Is there already an existing thread where you provide more details about your radio setup?

chevmeister
12-02-2002, 18:47
LittleBigRig check out mdrags setup. he has tons of pics and its a darn fine looking rig.
Although I am a little jealous!

mackin
12-06-2002, 12:13
All though the stock receiver will be enough for most, but what is available now for upgrade power and sound quality it's worth the switch over as I am doing....All parts in, just waiting for MY back to heal and corporative weather.....

Tunes=>Alpine CDA-7893 CD Receiver......
Frt. speakers =>Alpine type "R" SPR -136A Component...
Rear => Alpine 4"x6" Plate speaker SPS-4629 P 2 Way.....

Sub and Amp to follow in the spring........As the above will get me rocking through the winter as the head unit is power full in it self......

Onstar intergrade is very simple with a ad-on .....Available at
=>www.crutchfield.com
=>http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ELFBflpjC4u/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=127OS1

This is what I will be using.......I can't wait to get it installed.....But I's hurting.....

MAC :(