PDA

View Full Version : Any experiences with Auragen yet?

kburati
12-31-2001, 13:16
I've been doing as much research as I can on this integrated generator built by Aura Systems. Appears GM is using this same system on the new contractors addition truck although that's with a 6.0 gasser. Seems to be a good alternative to portable or camper generators (all I've tried are loud and pollute the atmosphere) and they've got this switch panel which you can install in your house so if you lose electricity all you do is start up your truck and plug it in. Plus it's lighter than a camper generator.

LA DMAX
12-31-2001, 15:58
Kb: I'm looking at their pamphlet now. It seems that alot of Government, State and city departments use it so it should be a good product. Last year at the LA Auto show they had one mounted in a crew cab and it looked nice. If I'm not mistaken they even have it on the Military Combatt Tech crew cab. If you're gonna get one, this seems to be one of the best.
Laters

LA DMAX

------------------
2002 GMC 2500HD SLT 4X4 DMAX/ALLI CC/SB G80, loaded. Pewter/Pewter

IndigoDually
12-31-2001, 16:10
Is there a website for the generators?

------------------
'02 GMC 3500 Crew/longbed 4x4 (Wife's daily driver)
Indigo blue/Graphite leather/all the toys(you only go around once!)
G/N,Rhino,Western 8 1/2 UltraMount
Kennedy Headlight Upgrade

My work truck:
'95 3500HD 15,000GVW
6.5 T/D 5 speed
chipped and exhaust mods
(with help of Kennedy)
10 1/2' Alum dumping flatbed
GN hitch

'94 K2500 EXT.Cab 6.5/Auto G/N hitch Farm Truck 20,000 mi.

Pictures
www.picturetrail.com/indigodually

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=546441&uid=445776

et
12-31-2001, 16:41
IndigoDually,

Try this side for AuraGen.

http://www.aurasystems.com/

------------------
2002 2500HD ExtCab LB 4X4 LT D/A

bmoeller
12-31-2001, 16:43
Try this http://www.aurasystems.com/

NutNbutGMC
12-31-2001, 17:58
Aura Systems dot com..... go figure.... http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif
Don't let mdrag see this.

------------------
2k2 2500HD Crew-Short-D/A
I drive it, like I stole it.

Amianthus
01-02-2002, 10:55
I looked into one once. Too expensive. Money is better spent on a good generator. You'd get more capacity and better ecomomy.

Pizza Man
03-19-2002, 10:04
I am no expert on the auragen...but my research has found that Auragen is currently designing a mounting kit for the generator to work on the Duramax. I was hoping that someone had one of these on any other trucks. So I could ask lots of questions.
My only concern for using the generator would be idling for long periods of time while using the generator.

CAVdmax
03-21-2002, 15:04
Besides cost, the weight of the entire system needs to be considered as well. In addition to the underhood components there is also a large inverter of some sort that gets mounted to the underside of the truck.

wangotango
03-21-2002, 22:52
Got an email from Auragen today.

Price to install one on 6.6L is $6875.00

That's right. I said $6875.00

Can you say ....YIKES!?

For that money I'll buy a new 6.6L diesel w/ Allison and install it in my old truck.

Then take what's left over and play golf in Palm Springs for a week.

With hookers!

w/t

Pizza Man
03-24-2002, 20:20
Wangotango...
What do you get for that price?
How many watts?

dmaxstu
03-24-2002, 20:54
I just bought 2 Honda EU2000i generators, in stereo they put out 4000 watts that is enough to run my TT AC and all. They weigh only 45LBS each come with a parralell cable. I use them hooked together for the TT and take a single one on the boat with me it's the best thing since sliced bread. They're super quiet an crank out pure sine wave power so you can run the computer or the statpower battery charger without damage. I bought them at www.mayberrys.com they saved me about $500 with their no shipping charges and a good price. Delivered to my doorstep for $1928. Stu

[ 03-24-2002: Message edited by: dmaxstu ]

[ 03-24-2002: Message edited by: dmaxstu ]</p>

wangotango
03-24-2002, 21:08
pizzaman:

I asked them for pricing and availablity of a unit for the 2500HD w/6.6L

The response is the price prviously stated.

I believe the top end output is 5K watts.

Check the website.

w/t

bigbobed
03-25-2002, 16:01
dmaxstu
Was that $1928 for both gens plus the cable?
Looks like a good solution.

dmaxstu
03-25-2002, 16:26
bigbobed
Yes that's right but I found that I should have ordered the plug as well that's another $32 It is some big 50 Amp plug that you just don't pick up at you local hardware store. Then you make your own extension for whatever application you want to use them for. A very slick setup the only down side is that they're easily stolen 'cause they're so light a stout cable to secure them is essential.I found out from the RV newsgroups that a lot of folks are buying them from Mayberry. Stu

Tinbender
03-25-2002, 22:59
If anyone is thinking about the Honda EU2000, you might want to check www.hondashop.com/generators.htm
They are advertising them for $849.00 delivered. A chance to save a extra buck or two.

dmaxstu
03-26-2002, 13:37
tinbender
You are absolutely right about the price of the generators but that outfit wants $55 more for the paralell cable, no shipping which is good, but since I live in CA, as they are, I would have been liable for sales tax, like $147 so everyone take these things into consideration and thank you for this forum and all the good leads all we have to do is our homework. Californians can't go wrong with Mayberrys. Stu

GBurton
03-26-2002, 22:07
I did a bit of research concerning the "high priced" Honda paralleling cable. On my EU3000i there are "special" connectors for the paralleling cable but the wiring will confirm that those connectors are wired directly to the pins on the twist lock connector.

If you want to save a bit of money, make your own. It’s nothing more than two short cords with the proper twist lock plug on the end to fit the generator, connected to a 50 Amp receptacle. You can get all of the parts at a good hardware or building supply store. If you are curious, just ask your local Honda dealer if you can look at the repair manual, it will show you the wiring diagram.

George

bigbobed
03-27-2002, 12:49
George
Is that 50 amp recept. wired like that you would find in a campground? If so, it's really a shared neutral between the two gens with two 2kw circuits. Not really a parallel setup. With a standard 30 amp tt setup it looks like only 2kw would be available unless you rewired the trailer.
Hope I'm wrong.

Bob

GBurton
03-27-2002, 18:18
bigbobed

Hi Bob
The two generators operate in parallel. The output voltage a a single 120 volt circuit but the wattage is the total of the two generators. Put a different way, if you are using two of the EU2000i generators the voltage is 120 vac with a max load of 4kw. I don't know what the "peak load rating of the EU2000i but that would also double.

"Is that 50 amp recept. wired like that you would find in a campground?"

NO!The 50 amp receptacle in a campground is normally a 220 volt 50 amp receptacle. There are two hot legs, a neutral and the safety ground. Each hot leg is 110 measured to the neutral and 220 between them. The important this to remember is normally there are NO 220 vac loads in your trailer. Your breaker panel is split into two parts with only 110 vac loads on each half. If you plug into a 50 amp 220 volt receptacle like you will find in a campground, your loads are split across the two legs of the 220 vac circuit. If you connect your incoming wires in parallel you will still be able to operate everything in your trailer unless your happens to have something in it like a big electric water heater that requires 220 vac. I have never seen this but someone might have one in thier BIG trailer.

Have you seen the "50 amp to 30 amp" adapters that you can buy to adapt your 50 amp plug when there isn't a 50 amp receptacle available? All that does is connect the two hot wires together.

If you want to make your own paralleling cable that will fit the plug on the end of your power cord, buy the receptacle that is used for a trailer park and tie the two hot pins together along with the two hot wires that are going to your generators. Connect both of the neutral wires from your generators to the neutral pin on the receptacle. Connect both of the ground wires from your generators to the ground pin on the receptacle.

WARNING!!! remember if you have a generator running and one cable is not plugged into the second generator the exposed pins are HOT! If you think that you might want to operate like that at times, I strongly suggest that you buy a matching receptacle to put on the generator end of your paralleling cable to cover the exposed pins.

If you have additional questions that you want to move off of here my e-mail address is k7wwa@saber.net

George