PDA

View Full Version : How to plumb in second tank

bearman
03-20-2002, 16:22
I am getting a slip tank / toolbox combo made for my 3500. Does anybody have any idea how to tie this into the fuel system. I dont want to manualy pump it from the slip tank to the pickup. Any thoughts.
Cheers
Bear

TLA
03-20-2002, 17:18
I put a tank/box combo in mine. I got the parts and directions from the install from Mike at American Tank and Tool Box in Texas (my other computer crashed and took the phone, etc with it - try a search). He was really helpful, and having the information made the install go a lot quicker

PJD15X
03-20-2002, 18:44
Bearman;
Go to http://auxtank.com You can order a kit for the installation. Includes hoses, switchs, and all the hardware you will need. With this kit, you use your regular fuel gauge and it changes when you swith from the regular tank to the aux tank. Terrific instructions, even I could read them and understand them.
Good Luck with your installation. I used one of their 45 gallon toolbox tanks. Nice

sonofagun
03-21-2002, 11:21
auxtan.com is THE place to go for what you need.

Good luck,
Bob

tysmith
03-21-2002, 16:18
I was under the impression USDOT reg's said we couldn't pipe aux tanks directly to our trucks, but we could have storage tanks?!? As always, I could be wrong, but I thought this was why we had tanks at the 35 gallon mark. Just a thought. I don't want anyone having to give the USDOT boys any $$$! Or maybe this only applies to company owned vehicles. Just curious.

Happy Traveling,
Ty

DmaxMaverick
03-21-2002, 17:23
tysmith

The D.O.T. prohibits that two tanks be tied together, such as a "cross-over" hose. Fuel cannot be allowed to be transfered from one tank to another, or the tanks cannot maintain a connection, either liquid or gas, while the vehicle is in operation on a public highway. This does not prevent someone from having a system in place that would allow both tanks to be plumbed together, as long as the system does not allow both tanks to be drawn from at the same time, under any circumstances. This is similar to the use of multiple tanks that have been used for decades. They have a switch that lets you select one, or the other, but not both.

tysmith
03-21-2002, 19:04
Thanks for clearing that up. My '86 6.2 has dual tanks, but they don't exceed 35 gal., so I was just wondering. What you say makes perfect sense! Thanks again for the info,

Ty

DMAX4LIFE
03-26-2002, 18:59
But doesn't the dual tanks in a chassis cab come from the factory that pump from the rear to the front when the front drops below a certain point?

dmaxstu
03-26-2002, 19:52
dmax4life
Factory installed dual tanks get switched when you switch them after the low fuel light comes on. Otherwise you will run out of fuel.
bearman
The advise about auxtank.com is dead on, the valve I got from them was already plumbed all I had to do is indentify the places to connect them, very easy. Stu

[ 03-26-2002: Message edited by: dmaxstu ]</p>

mechanicwillie
03-27-2002, 21:12
hey bearman come and see your local tech i have put in three tanks.i may be able to help you.

bearman
03-27-2002, 22:32
mechanicwillie
Cool, I am off next week, will be down to see you. I was there today for an SES light, but diden't see you. Catch you next week :D :D :D
Cheers
Bear