PDA

View Full Version : Lucerix Bad Fit Maybe?

westies
05-25-2002, 21:30
Just installed my new lucerix mirrors today and it seems all went well except on the top forward edge of both mirrors I have a gap between mirror base and truck door frame. At first I thought gap was being caused by the window vent shields so I took them off and gap got a little smaller but never did close up. Bottom and half way up forward edge is nice and tight. Back edge is good. The gap is a maybe around 3/32 inch on both sides and little worried about water leaking in. Have trimmed a little foam backing from top on both sides but that never helped. Both sides bolted nice and tight...............Anyone else with this problem or did I just get a bad set of mirrors? Thanks

pushpole
05-26-2002, 08:20
Mine does not snug up tight towards the top also. I spent about 10 days slowly tightening the mounting bolts a little every other day. They are as tight as I dare to go. There is no air gap the top portion the plastic leading edge it's just not flush like the bottom. There is good contact with the gasket. No fluttering noise at speed and no leaks. My main disappointment is the vibration of the mirror within the assembly. The housing appears rigid but the mirror mechanism feels too "soft". I'm calling lucerix on tuesday to see how to access the internals. Maybe there are some dampening mounts in there that could be tightened or replaced with another material. My R&D project continues......

Ironhead
05-26-2002, 08:48
My Lucerix also do not snug down at the top. The vibration is also very bad.
Pushpole, I hope you have better luck than me at getting Lucerix to listen. I called them to complain about the vibration. They were all nice on the phone and said they would mail me some shims to solve the problem. A month has gone by, and still no shims. The passenger mirror also extends itself after a little freeway driving. I think quality control at Lucerix is about non existant. I certainly dont recomend them to any of my friends.

westies
05-26-2002, 17:02
Spent the afternoon trying to fix these mirrors. Found that by putting 5/16 washers on both bottom bolts, the top came in tight. Now the bottom is out but I think I would rather have gap at the bottom than the top. I used two washers on both bolts. Tried one and maybe that would have been best for alround even gap but it still left the top open. So I settled on two on each bolt and let it be.
I really expected more from these mirrors due to the price you pay and had I seen a set on a Chev prior to buying, I probably would have passed. However, going to phone Lucerix tomorrow and still have the original shipping boxes, so they may still get these back.

pushpole
05-28-2002, 15:04
Talked with Lucerix directly today. The first person I talked to was ready to ship two new mirror assemblies, the guts and a tool. I thought cool, it sounds like they know what needs to be done. Then, because I did not purchase them directly from Lucerix they pushed me off to my retailer to coordinate with them. Lucerix talked about taking charges off credit cards etc...I don't understand the warranty mechanism here. This has nothing to do with the retailer. The warranty info delivered with the mirrors said contact Lucerix directly, this makes sense. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Kennedy
05-28-2002, 16:29
I have contacted Lucerix regarding this, and have concluded that it would be best to keep a couple sets of replacement glass on hand at all times.

Still learning on the subject of vibrating glass, but from what I understand, it is not very widespread.

pushpole
05-28-2002, 17:26
Thanx for the support Sir! I really thought I should be able to deal with this myself and wanted to keep you out of it. I hope this will not interfere in your relentless search for more ways to hop up our trucks ;) Thanx again.

westies
05-28-2002, 18:22
When I called Lucerix they also told me to go to dealer. Wonder who I would go to if dealer left the business? Anyway they said they would send new mirror and tool to dealer. Thats good. They then refused to address the fit problem as they claim they put warranty on their product but not the installation.............? They went on to say that this was an isolated problem. I told them out of five people I heard from, only one said he had a good fit all around. Like that is only a 20% success rate. They had no real answer and for now I have left it at that. I also asked about my using spacers and they said that was perfectly ok as they have sent out spacers to other people. If it was not that these mirrors are so nice for towing and look super on the truck, I may have gotten angry. smile.gif

Kennedy
05-28-2002, 19:54
I can honestly say I have NEVER installed a set of these, as I simply cannot get ahead far enough on these...

Not sure the scope of the tool thing, but it looks like a guy should have at least 2 in circulation...

More Power
05-28-2002, 21:56
We've installed two sets of them here, in preparation for a soon to be released DP product review. I didn't see anything wrong with the fit, and they are excellent towing mirrors.

MP

56Nomad
05-29-2002, 00:00
"top forward edge of both mirrors I have a gap
between mirror base and truck door frame"

I looked at mine and there is a very slight space,
but I think you guys are just "nit picking" :rolleyes:

This miniscule gap is not a problem as it's sealed
and will not permit water or air to enter where
the mirror is mounted on the door.

These Lucerix mirrors are definately the way to go
if you are towing or have a camper. Just my
humble opinion.

hogbreth
05-30-2002, 18:00
I installed Lucerix mirrors on my 2002 3500 last December. I immediatly had problems with vibration and after talking with them they sent me a new set of mirrors. Thenew set was only slightly better then the first set. I found out that the Lucerix engineers would be at a trade show in my area so I arranged to meet them and demonstrate the problem. When we went for a test ride it was pretty obvious that there was a problem. What they found was that since I have the heated mirrors when the mirror was attached to the frame the two wires that plug onto the mirrors in the back were pushing the glass out of it's frame because of vibration and the plugs were not centered in the holes on the back side.

pushpole
05-30-2002, 18:41
REAL good info but, What was the fix?

westies
05-31-2002, 18:49
Dealer called today about my mirrors and said the parts were in. I expected that they had sent the new mirror, tool and two new backing foams. When I got to dealer I found they had sent complete new set of mirrors. I was a little confused but dealer said they told him to replace mirrors and not just mirror. New mirrors fit perfect and no vibration. smile.gif

Ironhead
05-31-2002, 19:52
an update on my lucerix problem, The other day after posting my dissatisfaction here I tried calling lucerix again and only got there voice mail. I then fired off an email asking why it is taking more than a month to get my shims and I would gladly take suggestions for the one mirror sliding out on its own. This morning there was still no acknowlegment of my voice mail or email so I fired off another one and cc the general manager. I kept things civil but made sure my displeasure was showing. I recieved an email this afternoon stating they are sorry and some new complete mirrors are on the way. I am sorry it took this much frustration to get satisfaction as well but at least they finnally are doing the right thing and going beyond what I was expecting.
56Nomad, I am not a nit picker, actually far from it. Just because your mirrors are wonderful does not mean they all are. That is why most companys have a quality control dept.

westies
05-31-2002, 21:32
Lucerix has a super product with some minor problems, but give them credit for trying. I seen a set of Lucerix the other day and they had a 1/4" gap at top. They are being replaced. I only wanted a new mirror and they replaced both. Thumbs up for effort.
Now 56Nomad, he sent back a exhast tip for faulty welding on the clamp which one has to bend over to see. A gap in the mirror base is at eye level. To each his own, I think the welding is nit picking.
"Previous statement not intended for anyting" just an observation..............different strokes for different folks>........ smile.gif

Corey S
06-03-2002, 18:19
Ok, my turn to post about my disappointment with the Lucerix mirrors.

But first, let me say kudos to Kennedy for getting me the mirrors very quickly! smile.gif I was gonna be doing a bunch of towing over the weekend, and it was nice to extra view!

Alright, so the extra viewing angle is good, I can actually see around that big box trailer that was behind me all weekend, but the vibration started to become a problem. They didn't seem too bad at first, but on any of the poorer sections of California freeway (which covers most sections), it was hard to tell what kind of car was 200ft behind you. I tried to live with it, but decided that there was a problem when I was towing after dark. The passenger side mirror was basically useless.

This leads to the next problem I have....there's no convex mirror on these things. I can live without on the driver's side, but the passenger side needs a convex mirror. I picked up a 3" or 3.5" convex mirror from Kragens and stuck it on there. That helped somewhat in certain freeway situations, but you really had to stare at it for a while to tell what you were looking at, cause the image is so small. And, I can't afford to take my eyes off the road for very long....

To make the stick-on convex mirror work, it needs to have less curvature to be easier to use (I am an Optical Engineer afterall ;) ). It'd be nice if Lucerix designed a convex section of their mirror, that was nicely integrated into the whole package. BUT, I think it would be even better to use a similar convex curvature as the OEM passenger side mirror on the entire surface. Then you'd be able to see a ton!

Oh yeah, another thing I would have done differently in the design....I wouldn't have made the two arms slope toward the rear as much. I think they would be easier to use if the mirror just extended straight out from the truck, so that you don't have to rotate your head quite as far to see it. (can you tell I'm an engineer? :rolleyes: )

[ 06-03-2002: Message edited by: Corey S ]</p>

JLee
06-04-2002, 08:49
So... IF the new 2003 GM mirror is all that its cracked up to be.......and IF it fits the 2001/2002's.......and IF GM doesn't charge the same price as for the underseat storage box.....then maybe we'll have another option :D ;)